View Poll Results: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Voters
4748. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2,864 60.32%
  • No

1,884 39.68%
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    So what you're saying is that a lifetime of experience, research and free thought led you to ludicrous commonplaces. I guess you did your "research" listening to the same people who claim that firing an AR-15 gave them PTSD and such. Again, assuming you're not being ironic - it's hard to tell on the internet, especially since there are throngs who actually believe such absolute nonsense.
    I'm quite serious and not being ironic. It seems you don't have much to add to the conversation besides an admitted lack of knowledge of US gun culture and arrogant insults. Go fuck yourself.

Pandaren Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    The underlined part needs a lot of elaboration on your part. People use guns for hunting, sports, collecting purposes, even just fun (what's wrong with plinking if it's done safely and responsibly, pray tell?) and defense. The latter is needed by everyone. Do you live in a country where the police can predict crimes and take preemptive action, teleport instantly to stop a crime or some such? No? Then your claim is null and void. It'd be null and void even if we weren't talking about defense, because there's absolutely no logical reason to prevent law-abiding, able-bodied, sound-minded individuals to engage in a range of activities just because they involve those scary, evil guns. Shall we ban, say, car racing and skiing as well while we're at it? Accidents in car racing and skiing are enormously more common than in shooting sports after all. And you don't even need a license to ski! Someone I know who was hit by a criminally idiotic skier cutting a blind turn at 70/80 km/h would have something to say about that.
    Hi! I'm Swedish. No gun permit.
    If I want to fire a gun I just go to a local live fire range and gunclub. And fire a gun. Bit of time constraints and such, probably need to show that they can trust me to do it outside of instructor supervision to make sure I don't shoot myself or someone else in the foot. Which, fair. But it's not like it's something that "CAN'T BE DONE BECAUSE GUNS AREN'T FREE!"
    Same if I want to hunt. I can go hunting with an established hunting team, and as long as I've got a learners hunting permit etc I can fire a gun under a trained users supervision.

The only thing where Sweden has laws seriously restricting gun ownership and use is in the form of home and personal defense.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    I'm quite serious and not being ironic. It seems you don't have much to add to the conversation besides an admitted lack of knowledge of US gun culture and arrogant insults. Go fuck yourself.
    you called an ar15 an assult rifle this alone shows your absolute lack of knowledge on guns and he wasn't wrong the whole "high capacity killing machine" is hoplophobic nonsense
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    you called an ar15 an assult rifle this alone shows your absolute lack of knowledge on guns and he wasn't wrong the whole "high capacity killing machine" is hoplophobic nonsense
    Your nit picking of language enables you to ignore the greater issues. Nice try.

Your nit picking of language enables you to ignore the greater issues. Nice try.
    no im literally calling you on your bullshit its people like you who clearly lack any knowledge on guns who want legislation on them
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

no im literally calling you on your bullshit its people like you who clearly lack any knowledge on guns who want legislation on them
    I know what I know.

I know what I know.
    which is clearly nothing thanks for confirming it
    Get your shit together

which is clearly nothing thanks for confirming it
    Clearly quite the opposite.

Clearly quite the opposite.
    once again calling an ar15 a high capacity death machine tells me all i need to know about you and you cluelessness on firearms
    Get your shit together

once again calling an ar15 a high capacity death machine tells me all i need to know about you and you cluelessness on firearms
    I am more concerned with the lives lost as a result of gun violence than the minutia regarding what or what is not technically an assault rifle.

I am more concerned with the lives lost as a result of gun violence than the minutia regarding what or what is not technically an assault rifle.
    so the less than 400 per year is why you want them banned?
    Get your shit together

you called an ar15 an assault rifle this alone shows your absolute lack of knowledge on guns and he wasn't wrong the whole "high capacity killing machine" is hoplophobic nonsense
    Honestly, given how often this particular bit of terminology has to be corrected, at some point we just have to accept that some people are just too dense to understand the difference -- and more worryingly -- why it's relevant to any potential legislation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Are these resisters actually contributing to our country and paying their taxes? Or are they freeloading?

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Honestly, given how often this particular bit of terminology has to be corrected, at some point we just have to accept that some people are just too dense to understand the difference -- and more worryingly -- why it's relevant to any potential legislation.
    come on man dont you know every ar in civilian hands is a machine gun capable of shooting 1 million rounds per second
    Get your shit together

The Unstoppable Force Kellhound's Avatar
    By definition, an AR-15 is not an assault rifle. It is not capable of automatic fire. It is a very simple delimiter.

Do you know that AR-15s have been readily available since the 1960s?
    Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    "His knowledge on that topic is only power point deep..." "Power corrupts and PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."
    "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    By definition, an AR-15 is not an assault rifle. It is not capable of automatic fire. It is a very simple delimiter.

Do you know that AR-15s have been readily available since the 1960s?
    I thought that in the post that you quoted it was clear that I do not particularly care.

The Unstoppable Force Kellhound's Avatar
    I thought that in the post that you quoted it was clear that I do not particularly care.
    Actually, I am willing to bet you DO care, and you intentionally misuse the term to make AR-15s seem scarier. Or to be blunt, you use the term for its propaganda value.
    Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    "His knowledge on that topic is only power point deep..." "Power corrupts and PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."
    "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Actually, I am willing to bet you DO care, and you intentionally misuse the term to make AR-15s seem scarier. Or to be blunt, you use the term for its propaganda value.
    No, I really don't care about the difference. The AR-15 is the mass shooter's gun of choice and that is scary enough. The AR-15s purpose is to kill as many people as quickly and efficiently as possible. While not being automatic, it seems to get the job done well and is "assault enough for me/the purposes of legislation."

No, I really don't care about the difference. The AR-15 is the mass shooter's gun of choice and that is scary enough. The AR-15s purpose is to kill as many people as quickly and efficiently as possible. While not being automatic, it seems to get the job done well and is "assault enough for me/the purposes of legislation."
    Once again it kills between 400-500 a year must not be that effective and also maybe do some research because handgun are used far more frequently in mass shootings
    Last edited by Roxinius; 2021-05-16 at 04:19 PM.
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Hi! I'm Swedish. No gun permit.
    If I want to fire a gun I just go to a local live fire range and gunclub. And fire a gun. Bit of time constraints and such, probably need to show that they can trust me to do it outside of instructor supervision to make sure I don't shoot myself or someone else in the foot. Which, fair. But it's not like it's something that "CAN'T BE DONE BECAUSE GUNS AREN'T FREE!"
    Same if I want to hunt. I can go hunting with an established hunting team, and as long as I've got a learners hunting permit etc I can fire a gun under a trained users supervision.

The only thing where Sweden has laws seriously restricting gun ownership and use is in the form of home and personal defense.
    I don't see where you're going with this. I've never said I'm against training, I've actually said it should be mandatory (and it is here, unless you've served in the military, but qualified range officers are there to help refresh one's memory or explain the functioning of some unusual guns - because most guns work in the same way but some have their unique quirks, I've lost count of how many people I've seen trying to load a M3 and failing for instance). Also, you can own guns in Sweden.
    You can even own an AR-15 or a clone thereof if you've been an IPSC shooter for at least a year but I've read that on a forum and not an official source so take that with a grain of salt (although it's a PS-centric forum so there's no reason the guy would've lied, he would've been called out).

Precisely, so why do you guys even bother? I mean, I appreciate your patience, but he even admitted he doesn't even care. There's no reasoning with the likes of that Toast fellow, the only thing you'll get are opinions based on falsehoods and/or insults.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Once again it kills between 400-500 a year must not be that effective and also maybe do some research because handgun are used far more frequently in mass shootings
    Out of the mass shootings with the most fatalities, ar-15 or ar-15 style firearms are mostly used so mass shooters seem to disagree with your opinion of effectiveness. You do however make a good point about better gun control regarding handguns. Any idea that might help reduce the number of mass shootings?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.