Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

  1. #59201
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    41,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

    Yes it is. I’m not clicking your link.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  2. #59202
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yes it is. I’m not clicking your link.
    I'm not interested in going back and forth with you anymore since you're the pigeon playing chess. But I'll just come in to fact-check you when you're shilling some bullshit.

    "Being a piece of shit" is nowhere in the DSM-V.

  3. #59203
    @Doctor Amadeus

    My parents always like to ask when I'll return to live in the US, and I laugh it off because the stress of living with people like you isn't worth it.

    You're too absorbed in your fee fees about your right to own tools designed for killing that any sort of proposal to regulate it like any other industry we have just crosses the line.

    Instead of actually taking the science into consideration and looking at how every other developed country was able to take the steps able to avoid this uniquely American phenomenon, you take everything as a personal insult and would rather subject the future generation to live in a constant state of fear under prisonfied schools.

    That shit causes harm twofold: not only are you not actually addressing the major factor in the equation that allows these shootings to happen at the frequency that they do, but you're stealing childhoods that in any other country these children would actually get to carry out.

    But thanks for the constant reminder of how shitty and flawed the people back home can think.
    Last edited by Cinnamilk; 2022-06-09 at 09:12 PM.

  4. #59204
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    41,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm not interested in going back and forth with you anymore since you're the pigeon playing chess. But I'll just come in to fact-check you when you're shilling some bullshit.

    "Being a piece of shit" is nowhere in the DSM-V.
    You’ll come back here to try to win in your mind credibility.

    I’ll just continue to remind you waters wet and I’m not clicking on your links or providing any.

    I know how to argue and speak for myself. I don’t need to misinterpret work as my ideas.

    You like your links you can read them and tell me what you think it said.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    @Doctor Amadeus

    My parents always like to ask when I'll return to live in the US, and I laugh it off because the stress of living with people like you isn't worth it.

    You're too absorbed in your fee fees about your right to own tools designed for killing that any sort of proposal to regulate it like any other industry we have just crosses the line.

    Instead of actually taking the science into consideration and looking at how every other developed country was able to take the steps able to avoid this uniquely American phenomenon, you take everything as a personal insult and would rather subject the future generation to live in a constant state of fear under prisonfied schools.

    That shit causes harm twofold: not only are you not actually addressing the major factor in the equation that allows these shootings to happen at the frequency that they do, but you're stealing childhoods that in any other country these children would actually get to carry out.

    But thanks for the constant reminder of how shitty and flawed the people back home can think.
    Well some people aren’t willing to be preached to by hypocrites who believe they are right because someone said and their fee fees.

    The right to bare shall not be infringed.

    Meaning I’m not going to lose my rights because of something you fear I’ll do because of someone else.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  5. #59205
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    The right to bare shall not be infringed.
    Reminder: Amendments aren't absolute, and can be repealed.

    See: Prohibition via Constitutional Amendment (18th), followed by the repeal of the Amendment (21st).

  6. #59206
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    2,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Reminder: Amendments aren't absolute, and can be repealed.

    See: Prohibition via Constitutional Amendment (18th), followed by the repeal of the Amendment (21st).
    Not to mention, their interpretation is constantly debated by the Supreme Court.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You’ll come back here to try to win in your mind credibility.

    I’ll just continue to remind you waters wet and I’m not clicking on your links or providing any.

    I know how to argue and speak for myself. I don’t need to misinterpret work as my ideas.

    You like your links you can read them and tell me what you think it said.
    "I'm not here to debate, I'm just here to spout my bullshit unchallenged."

  7. #59207
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Omelas
    Posts
    57,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Reminder: Amendments aren't absolute, and can be repealed.

    See: Prohibition via Constitutional Amendment (18th), followed by the repeal of the Amendment (21st).
    It's also a silly argument in general that deliberately tries to limit the scope of discussion because the points being made aren't indefensible beyond that scope. Every other right actually listed in the Constitution is defensible on its own merits, for the most part; freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of and from religion, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures, et cetera.

    Not so with the Second Amendment. The arguments in favor of firearm ownership as the default rather than the exception all fail when subjected to scrutiny because there's no evidence historically or currently supporting them; there's no reduction of crime, people are not made safer, and there has never once been an instance of actual tyranny in this country that the Second Amendment has prevented or abolished - slavery, Jim Crow, Japanese internment, et cetera. The only 'valid' arguments tend to be marginal use cases that would be more than satisfied by gun ownership as a permitted exception, but in no way support the practice being an enshrined and legally protected 'right'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Not to mention, their interpretation is constantly debated by the Supreme Court.
    People seem to forget that firearm ownership as a guaranteed individual right is actually newer than Tumblr.
    The Were/Was Army: "Nooo you can't just vaporize my entire armored division, we had such a manly recruitment ad!"
    The They/Them Army: "Omg integrated fire support?? Go off queen sksksks, JDAMs are such a gemini thing."

  8. #59208
    https://www.npr.org/2022/06/09/11040...yland-shooting

    So do we need to harden manufacturing facilities now, too? Put in some "door control"? Armed guards?

    Not much info beyond 3 people killed and one injured, and the shooter is no longer a threat (doesn't say if he's dead or apprehended).

    This isn't even about "weaponizing dead kids", these all seem to be adults. I'm just wondering when we can do something about guns that's not a "knee jerk reaction" when we seem to have mass shootings every few days.

  9. #59209
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You’ll come back here to try to win in your mind credibility.

    I’ll just continue to remind you waters wet and I’m not clicking on your links or providing any.

    I know how to argue and speak for myself. I don’t need to misinterpret work as my ideas.

    You like your links you can read them and tell me what you think it said.
    This is just you engaging in unapologetic willful ignorance. You admit you don't know anything, refuse to inform yourself when offered the chance, and insult and abuse those who you disagree with.
    The right to bare shall not be infringed.

    Meaning I’m not going to lose my rights because of something you fear I’ll do because of someone else.
    Or what?

    Congress repeals the 2nd tomorrow; what're you gonna do?

    It's just an Amendment. They've been repealed before. The Constitution was meant to be a living document, changing as society needed.

  10. #59210
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    41,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is just you engaging in unapologetic willful ignorance. You admit you don't know anything, refuse to inform yourself when offered the chance, and insult and abuse those who you disagree with.

    Or what?

    Congress repeals the 2nd tomorrow; what're you gonna do?

    It's just an Amendment. They've been repealed before. The Constitution was meant to be a living document, changing as society needed.
    Says the guy who called me ableist and then proceeds to unapologetically call people who own gun nuts. You're welcome to keep trying, but you aren't going to walk that back, and as I said there is no amount of links that will change that or that I am going to click.

    As for what will I do, trust me you aren't going to repeal the 2nd amendment, so there is no reason to entertain what will I do. I am willing to do what every other law abiding gun owner will do to defend what was fought for to begin with.


    But unlike you I am not going to use children or mass shootings as an excuse one way or another. I am not willing to give up my guns because I don't want to and as long as it's my right I will defend it.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  11. #59211
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    35,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Correlation ain't causation, and that bridle you're hanging only fits one way or it doesn't. Meaning you can't be for one and not the other. If you find gun owner ship and someone's mentality or behavior as people indictive of discriminations. So too are individuals who otherwise can't deal with their problems emotionally and mentally.

    Prime example, IF YOU SHOOT UP A GOD DAMN KINDERGATEN!
    Two things.

    One, stat teacher here, you can't just handwave stuff with "correllation isn't causation". That's the mathematical equivalent of "nuh uh". At the very minimum you need to propose a lurking variable, something along the lines of "places with more guns per capita and also more gun crime per capita have more mental illness per capita" which, considering where you're talking about, might actually be something you can back up.

    Two, nobody here is arguing that a sane person would shoot up a school of random children. But, as some of us have already detailed, the problem is diagnosing people with a legit mental illness before the murders. It is just as unhelpful to blame mental illness without a solution, as it is to blame gun ownership without a solution. Which the GOP is doing, in Texas, right now, I've cited it. If the only evidence someone is crazy is they committed a murder, the diagnosis is too late and useless.

  12. #59212
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Congress repeals the 2nd tomorrow; what're you gonna do?
    Congress can't repeal an Amendment. It takes 2/3 of both chambers to even propose an amendment, and then it still has to be ratified by 3/4 of the State legislatures.

    How likely do you think that is?


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  13. #59213
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Says the guy who called me ableist and then proceeds to unapologetically call people who own gun nuts. You're welcome to keep trying, but you aren't going to walk that back, and as I said there is no amount of links that will change that or that I am going to click.
    Nothing I would need to walk back; you're lying about what was said and what "gun nut" even means. Just unrepentant lying.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Congress can't repeal an Amendment. It takes 2/3 of both chambers to even propose an amendment, and then it still has to be ratified by 3/4 of the State legislatures.

    How likely do you think that is?
    Practically, in 2022? Impossible. Republicans would oppose a "puppies are cute" bill if Dems proposed it. But what you're responding to was a hypothetical to point out the implicit threat of violence in Amadeus' comment.


  14. #59214
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    41,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Two things.

    One, stat teacher here, you can't just handwave stuff with "correllation isn't causation". That's the mathematical equivalent of "nuh uh". At the very minimum you need to propose a lurking variable, something along the lines of "places with more guns per capita and also more gun crime per capita have more mental illness per capita" which, considering where you're talking about, might actually be something you can back up.
    Well more specifically a scientific fact, but It's not a nuh uh here, I have always explicitly spelled out my argument or the reason for any opinion I arrive at. Guns are a took, comparing the U.S to any other nation without accounting for variables is not valid, thus making most comparisons invalid over all.

    Per capita violence as it relates to proportionality yes, I get, but that only considers the scope, not the external environment's. Specifically, such as culture, traditions social or political conflicts etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Two, nobody here is arguing that a sane person would shoot up a school of random children. But, as some of us have already detailed, the problem is diagnosing people with a legit mental illness before the murders. It is just as unhelpful to blame mental illness without a solution, as it is to blame gun ownership without a solution. Which the GOP is doing, in Texas, right now, I've cited it. If the only evidence someone is crazy is they committed a murder, the diagnosis is too late and useless.
    No there not, you are correct, but the problem is when you scream from the heavens that you can't call people who commit mass shootings mentally ill, is leaves the person making that statement responsible for making the distinction clear.

    Not by posting links by academics who are not especially here to be challenged or respond to their works. And ME or anyone here NOT being an academic to really place context to a finding.

    Studies and Papers aren't always conclusion to an issue, but a lot of times a perspective also based on an argument of study. Again not appropriate for bolstering the argument to counter not specific accusation but a general statement, people who commit mass murder through shootings are mentally ill.

    Honestly the fact a handful of people do that shit on here has actually accomplished reducing arguments to little or no value when it comes to actually discussing an issue.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  15. #59215
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Two, nobody here is arguing that a sane person would shoot up a school of random children. But, as some of us have already detailed, the problem is diagnosing people with a legit mental illness before the murders. It is just as unhelpful to blame mental illness without a solution, as it is to blame gun ownership without a solution. Which the GOP is doing, in Texas, right now, I've cited it. If the only evidence someone is crazy is they committed a murder, the diagnosis is too late and useless.
    Uhh, no. I'm absolutely saying that. The vast majority of mass shooters are completely sane. Just evil and violent. Same for terrorists, Nazis (now and in the past), child abusers, rapists, and so on.

    Stigmatizing mental health when the overwhelming majority of violent offenders aren't suffering mental illness leads to us missing the actual motivators, and stigmatizes millions of innocents.

    Stop giving bad people the excuse of being sick. Let them carry the full responsibility of their awful choices.


  16. #59216
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    41,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nothing I would need to walk back; you're lying about what was said and what "gun nut" even means. Just unrepentant lying.
    No if you were honest you would, accusing me of ableism whether you honestly believe that I don't know, but it is completely beyond the lines for challenging my statement. I didn't make any clinical diagnosis for which you clearly ran the gambit against anyways, you seriously fucking just took your own ball and scored a touch down against yourself.

    With the "gun nuts" statement. You have NO fucking standing to say anything about what you accused me of in terms of insults without any specifics, when you specifically nailed down with the same kind of statement you are bitching about me for.


    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Practically, in 2022? Impossible. Republicans would oppose a "puppies are cute" bill if Dems proposed it. But what you're responding to was a hypothetical to point out the implicit threat of violence in Amadeus' comment.
    It was a tactic, it was disingenuous and right now you have no business even expecting me to take you seriously.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  17. #59217
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No if you were honest you would, accusing me of ableism whether you honestly believe that I don't know, but it is completely beyond the lines for challenging my statement. I didn't make any clinical diagnosis for which you clearly ran the gambit against anyways, you seriously fucking just took your own ball and scored a touch down against yourself.

    With the "gun nuts" statement. You have NO fucking standing to say anything about what you accused me of in terms of insults without any specifics, when you specifically nailed down with the same kind of statement you are bitching about me for.
    Still lying about what "nut" means in context. Are "movie nuts" crazy? "Sports nuts"?

    It was a tactic, it was disingenuous and right now you have no business even expecting me to take you seriously.
    You still don't know what "disingenuous" means.


  18. #59218
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    41,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Uhh, no. I'm absolutely saying that. The vast majority of mass shooters are completely sane. Just evil and violent. Same for terrorists, Nazis (now and in the past), child abusers, rapists, and so on.

    Stigmatizing mental health when the overwhelming majority of violent offenders aren't suffering mental illness leads to us missing the actual motivators, and stigmatizes millions of innocents.

    Stop giving bad people the excuse of being sick. Let them carry the full responsibility of their awful choices.
    This is Novel the problem is there is no precedent for this. Academics have a good idea about what evil is, none is 100% proves where it comes from. Evil in and of itself can't really be quantified because it's a moral finding, not an objective one

    Nothing is stigmatizing about acknowledge mental illness or a mental disorder. If you're problem with my statement sincerely comes from a concern about casual diagnosis I would understand, but to say that someone who murders kindergartners is Mentally isn't a diagnosis. It's statement of fact that if someone concludes a School shooting for not other purpose other than murder demonstrates an extreme example of a mental disorder, then I am not exactly sure what you think would.


    I choose my words correctly and deliberately.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  19. #59219
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    35,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Uhh, no. I'm absolutely saying that.
    Ah, well, carry on.

    I have already noted that the GOP continues to use that defense to fight any reasonable gun control, but despite daily mind reading it still has the same problem: people who have not yet demonstrated they're insane (by what this defense is trying) can still get guns because they haven't murdered anyone yet. And the "only insane people murder a bunch of kids" doesn't seem to hold up in a court of law, the insanity defense almost always fails. So I'm not going to contradict you on this one, because we'd get into differences in definitions of "insane" and the only one that would matter is "legally insane enough to stop them from having a gun".

  20. #59220
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    41,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Still lying about what "nut" means in context. Are "movie nuts" crazy? "Sports nuts"?


    You still don't know what "disingenuous" means.
    Nuts is a derogatory term for people who suffer Mental illness. And disingenuous is when you act in a way contrary to what you claim. You can't attack me for saying mass shooters are mentally ill, but suggest people who own firearms and don't want them taken away are NUTS or especially violent and dangerous.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •