Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Is it better than going defenseless in an over-regulated environment? ayup.
    I'm not exactly up to speed with American regulations, especially because they vary a lot depending on the location, so care to elaborate on that? As a European with the equivalent of a CCW (among the other pile of licenses I could plaster my walls with, because I'm also a collector and a "traditional" sporting as well as practical/defensive shooter in IPSC and similar more local entities) I'm curious as to what's considered over-regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I at least have the common sense to...

- Stay off the dance floor
    - Not carry a loaded gun with me to a club
    - Not carry a loaded gun with a round in the chamber and the safety apparently off
    - Not carry a gun outside of a secure holster
    - Not do backflips because holy shit I don't wanna break my fuckin neck
    Worth noting that some guns don't have a manual safety. GLOCKs are a notable example - they're extremely common among American LE and "don't have a safety" (or rather, they do, but it's not a switch you flip, it's built-in the trigger, pulling it gradually releases the safeties). Which makes them a bad idea for people with poor trigger discipline as opposed to guns with a safety that can render the trigger useless. GLOCKs also happen to be prevalent in the FBI, they have some SIGs but mostly GLOCKs, and GLOCKs also happen to be their off-duty weapons of choice, so I'm willing to bet it was a GLOCK.
    Regardless, the gun was fired because that idiot picked it up incorrectly, i.e. with his finger on the trigger, which should be considered the only safety for discipline purposes independently of whether of not a gun has a manual safety as well.
    That being said, carrying a gun with a chambered round and the safety off can be perfectly fine (revolvers typically don't have safeties and because of their nature they always have a "chambered" round), the point is that they must be handled religiously. Failing that, holster or not (quality modern guns are able to be carried safely even without a holster even though it's not ideal, aside from those guns that are downright designed for holster-free carry), safety or not, chambered round or not, bad things will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Seriously, I like going to the range. I like responsible gun owners. I like guns. But I don't like guns so much that I'm down with the continued unacceptable level of gun violence that should absolutely not exist in a developed nation in the 21st century.
    If my memory isn't failing me, the underlined part is dubious at best. In an "I'm not racist, I have lots of gay friends" kind of way. And I'm no "shall not be infringed" fanatic, not only because I'm not American, but because I believe gun control is a good idea - but not gun suppression, every law-abiding citizen with the physical, psychological and technical requisites should be able to own guns. That way, gun-related crime is very rare, mass-shootings are unheard of, and gun owners don't have to worry about gun-grabbing politicians or stupid limitations such as the 10 round magazines for "assault rifles", whatever the hell they mean by that other than "scary-looking semi-auto long guns".

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    There is no panacea/one law that would have necessarily prevented any recent shooting. But with stronger gun control laws we can shift the American Cowboy Mentality where guns (as big and shooty as you want) are readily available to solve your problems. So, gun licensing/registration/restriction of high capacity killing machines would probably initially result in an increase in shootings by your dummy "Merica Meh 2nd Mendment right" extremists, but hopefully the culture would change over decades as assault rifles do not continue to circulate and we grow up a little.
    I hope there's irony there, otherwise this is a prime example of hoplophobia born out of ignorance and/or ideological indoctrination.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Hell, as a non-American, I'd get rid of it, and guns, altogether. 99% of you don't need a single firearm. I'd also do some rewrites to your outdated constitution, too.
    The underlined part needs a lot of elaboration on your part. People use guns for hunting, sports, collecting purposes, even just fun (what's wrong with plinking if it's done safely and responsibly, pray tell?) and defense. The latter is needed by everyone. Do you live in a country where the police can predict crimes and take preemptive action, teleport instantly to stop a crime or some such? No? Then your claim is null and void. It'd be null and void even if we weren't talking about defense, because there's absolutely no logical reason to prevent law-abiding, able-bodied, sound-minded individuals to engage in a range of activities just because they involve those scary, evil guns. Shall we ban, say, car racing and skiing as well while we're at it? Accidents in car racing and skiing are enormously more common than in shooting sports after all. And you don't even need a license to ski! Someone I know who was hit by a criminally idiotic skier cutting a blind turn at 70/80 km/h would have something to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    There are 3, that's three, countries on this planet that have a constitutional right to bear arms, those three countries are not topping any lists, well except for lists no one wants their country to top.
    Except that's wrong and laughably simplistic, as even a simple, far-from-complete wikipedia page shows. Not to mention, the CH/IT/CZ are doing well when it comes to crime (and other issues) compared to European countries with stricter laws. Besides, the fact that a constitution or a code of laws regulates the matter is utterly irrelevant, Mexico is a good example of that since you mentioned it. It's almost as if things changed over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Except that's wrong and laughably simplistic, as even a simple, far-from-complete wikipedia page shows. Not to mention, the CH/IT/CZ are doing well when it comes to crime (and other issues) compared to European countries with stricter laws. Besides, the fact that a constitution or a code of laws regulates the matter is utterly irrelevant, Mexico is a good example of that since you mentioned it. It's almost as if things changed over time.
    You're right, it's actually just the US, Mexico changed its right to bear arms, and Guatemala could just ban guns and done. So it's only one country with a right to bear arms in their constitution.

And they insist it is needed because freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I hope there's irony there, otherwise this is a prime example of hoplophobia born out of ignorance and/or ideological indoctrination.
    Nope, it is an analysis that is the result of a lifetime of experience, research and free thought.

Nope, it is an analysis that is the result of a lifetime of experience, research and free thought.
    So what you're saying is that a lifetime of experience, research and free thought led you to ludicrous commonplaces. I guess you did your "research" listening to the same people who claim that firing an AR-15 gave them PTSD and such. Again, assuming you're not being ironic - it's hard to tell on the internet, especially since there are throngs who actually believe such absolute nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You're right, it's actually just the US, Mexico changed its right to bear arms, and Guatemala could just ban guns and done. So it's only one country with a right to bear arms in their constitution.

And they insist it is needed because freedom.
    The right to bear arms under certain conditions (dictated by mere common sense) is a form of freedom, which is why the most controlling states severely limit it or downright ban it (with laughably poor results on violent crime statistics except for Japan I might add). The right to unconditionally bear arms is another matter entirely, and it's exclusive to the US as far as polarization goes.
    What's ironic is that some countries have less restrictive laws (i.e. no absurd mag capacity limitations, no nonsensical concepts that have no technical meaning whatsoever - I'm looking at you, "assault weapons") than many American states because gun control done right led to gun violence being astoundingly rare and mass shootings something never heard of outside of news coming from the US.
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

15+ Year Old Account
    The right to bear arms under certain conditions (dictated by mere common sense) is a form of freedom, which is why the most controlling states severely limit it or downright ban it (with laughably poor results on violent crime statistics except for Japan I might add). The right to unconditionally bear arms is another matter entirely, and it's exclusive to the US as far as polarization goes.
    What's ironic is that some countries have less restrictive laws (i.e. no absurd mag capacity limitations, no nonsensical concepts that have no technical meaning whatsoever - I'm looking at you, "assault weapons") than many American states because gun control done right led to gun violence being astoundingly rare and mass shootings something never heard of outside of news coming from the US.
    Agreed, and thanks to the stupid constitutional right in the US they have to come up with stupid solutions because everything other countries do they just can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You know, I was kinda with you for the first couple sentences. But then you just went full-on into typical 2A gun nut "arguments" like thought police and banning skiing, showing you're probably just not worth the time.
    Except I'm not American nor "2A gun nut", having reiterated time and again that reasonable gun control is a good thing. So yeah, your reply is just a very poor attempt at avoiding justifying your longing for a blanket gun ban, and quite frankly it's exactly what I was expecting, given that with proper gun laws there's no rational reason for guns to be banned whatsoever.

So what you're saying is that a lifetime of experience, research and free thought led you to ludicrous commonplaces. I guess you did your "research" listening to the same people who claim that firing an AR-15 gave them PTSD and such. Again, assuming you're not being ironic - it's hard to tell on the internet, especially since there are throngs who actually believe such absolute nonsense.
    I'm quite serious and not being ironic. It seems you don't have much to add to the conversation besides an admitted lack of knowledge of US gun culture and arrogant insults. Go fuck yourself.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The underlined part needs a lot of elaboration on your part. People use guns for hunting, sports, collecting purposes, even just fun (what's wrong with plinking if it's done safely and responsibly, pray tell?) and defense. The latter is needed by everyone. Do you live in a country where the police can predict crimes and take preemptive action, teleport instantly to stop a crime or some such? No? Then your claim is null and void. It'd be null and void even if we weren't talking about defense, because there's absolutely no logical reason to prevent law-abiding, able-bodied, sound-minded individuals to engage in a range of activities just because they involve those scary, evil guns. Shall we ban, say, car racing and skiing as well while we're at it? Accidents in car racing and skiing are enormously more common than in shooting sports after all. And you don't even need a license to ski! Someone I know who was hit by a criminally idiotic skier cutting a blind turn at 70/80 km/h would have something to say about that.
    Hi! I'm Swedish. No gun permit.
    If I want to fire a gun I just go to a local live fire range and gunclub. And fire a gun. Bit of time constraints and such, probably need to show that they can trust me to do it outside of instructor supervision to make sure I don't shoot myself or someone else in the foot. Which, fair. But it's not like it's something that "CAN'T BE DONE BECAUSE GUNS AREN'T FREE!"
    Same if I want to hunt. I can go hunting with an established hunting team, and as long as I've got a learners hunting permit etc I can fire a gun under a trained users supervision.

The only thing where Sweden has laws seriously restricting gun ownership and use is in the form of home and personal defense.
    - Lars

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm quite serious and not being ironic. It seems you don't have much to add to the conversation besides an admitted lack of knowledge of US gun culture and arrogant insults. Go fuck yourself.
    you called an ar15 an assult rifle this alone shows your absolute lack of knowledge on guns and he wasn't wrong the whole "high capacity killing machine" is hoplophobic nonsense
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    you called an ar15 an assult rifle this alone shows your absolute lack of knowledge on guns and he wasn't wrong the whole "high capacity killing machine" is hoplophobic nonsense
    Your nit picking of language enables you to ignore the greater issues. Nice try.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your nit picking of language enables you to ignore the greater issues. Nice try.
    no im literally calling you on your bullshit its people like you who clearly lack any knowledge on guns who want legislation on them
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

no im literally calling you on your bullshit its people like you who clearly lack any knowledge on guns who want legislation on them
    I know what I know.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know what I know.
    which is clearly nothing thanks for confirming it
    Get your shit together

which is clearly nothing thanks for confirming it
    Clearly quite the opposite.

15+ Year Old Account
    Clearly quite the opposite.
    once again calling an ar15 a high capacity death machine tells me all i need to know about you and you cluelessness on firearms
    Get your shit together

once again calling an ar15 a high capacity death machine tells me all i need to know about you and you cluelessness on firearms
    I am more concerned with the lives lost as a result of gun violence than the minutia regarding what or what is not technically an assault rifle.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am more concerned with the lives lost as a result of gun violence than the minutia regarding what or what is not technically an assault rifle.
    so the less than 400 per year is why you want them banned?
    Get your shit together

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    you called an ar15 an assault rifle this alone shows your absolute lack of knowledge on guns and he wasn't wrong the whole "high capacity killing machine" is hoplophobic nonsense
    Honestly, given how often this particular bit of terminology has to be corrected, at some point we just have to accept that some people are just too dense to understand the difference -- and more worryingly -- why it's relevant to any potential legislation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Honestly, given how often this particular bit of terminology has to be corrected, at some point we just have to accept that some people are just too dense to understand the difference -- and more worryingly -- why it's relevant to any potential legislation.
    come on man dont you know every ar in civilian hands is a machine gun capable of shooting 1 million rounds per second
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    By definition, an AR-15 is not an assault rifle. It is not capable of automatic fire. It is a very simple delimiter.

Do you know that AR-15s have been readily available since the 1960s?