Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for him, even though the cynic in me thinks he's just afraid of voter backlash.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Good for him, even though the cynic in me thinks he's just afraid of voter backlash.
    California is not really the state for that, I think. Not for a Democratic governor in a definitely blue state, especially with Democrats having a supermajority in the state legislature.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

California already has some of the most strict gun legislation in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    That's refreshing, from a gun-owning Democrat, from a highly Democratic state.
    contrary to popular belief dems are far from in lockstep on guns, even in california
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    contrary to popular belief dems are far from in lockstep on guns, even in california
    Yeah the pro-gun Dems and liberals are perhaps the most important key in keeping restrictive gun control legislation at bay. Lets hope they remain a large portion of their ranks.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    I have the question, what is the youngest age you can buy/own a gun in US?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    I have the question, what is the youngest age you can buy/own a gun in US?
    To buy, 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns, usually. I think there are no age restrictions for ownership, at least not federally.
    Last edited by mmoc68ceb3652c; 2013-10-12 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    18 for long guns and 21 for handguns, usually (I think).
    Sounds about right.

Important thing to note is that it doesn't mean your family can't supervise you shooting at a younger age though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    To buy, 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns, usually. I think there are no age restrictions for ownership, at least not federally.
    Thanks for the answer. But I have some problem to understand ownership? is it like = Here my 17 year old son I give you my gun so you can use it for target shooting because I know you are sufficiently mature/proficient to handle a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Thanks for the answer. But I have some problem to understand ownership? is it like = Here my 17 year old son I give you my gun so you can use it for target shooting because I know you are sufficiently mature/proficient to handle a gun.
    http://www.atf.gov/files/publication...f-i-5300-2.pdf

" Federal law prohibits, except in
    certain limited circumstances,
    anyone under 18 years of age from
    knowingly possessing a handgun,
    or any person from selling,
    delivering, or otherwise
    transferring a handgun to a
    person under 18."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    http://www.atf.gov/files/publication...f-i-5300-2.pdf

" Federal law prohibits, except in
    certain limited circumstances,
    anyone under 18 years of age from
    knowingly possessing a handgun,
    or any person from selling,
    delivering, or otherwise
    transferring a handgun to a
    person under 18."
    I got 3 out of 4 right then. So it's 18 for owning handguns and buying long guns (from a dealer), 21 for buying handguns (and some specific long guns) (from a dealer) and no age restrictions for owning long guns (in federal law) ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Great news about Cali. There may be hope yet.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    So, banning assault weapons...

This thread is 1000+ pages long already, holy crap. Can't say I've read every page in this thread... but you have to realize that if guns get banned, do you really think that it prevents people from doing horrific acts like James Holmes did back in 2012? Cause it doesn't. It won't. If people want guns, they can get them. Especially in the US. And banning them won't change a goddamn thing. If someone has a gun, and goes completely insane cause his girlfriend broke up, or whatever reason, nothing can prevent him from killing other people.

99.9% of the people that own a gun, know how to use it and will never commit acts like James Holmes did. It's just the 0.1% that ruins it for everyone else, and it amazes me that 0.1% can influence so many people.

So many US citizens already own a firearm, if not multiple firearms, so banning them won't do shit. And a lot of people own guns because it's their hobby, sports, whatever. You will make a lot of people mad if you ban assault weapons. Just because some dude with orange hair went batshit insane in a cinema.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

holy shit was this thread buried. dug it up to ask a couple of questions that belonged here, and in a futile attempt to rescue the shooting thread that is undoubtedly doomed.

i am curious as to how easy it actually is to convert an AR15 to auto. every claim i see is all or nothing, an unclimbable mountain or a 2 year old could do it by accident. unfortunately it's one of those things im not terribly comfortable googling to see for myself, lol. does anybody have any actual knowledge on this?
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    holy shit was this thread buried. dug it up to ask a couple of questions that belonged here, and in a futile attempt to rescue the shooting thread that is undoubtedly doomed.

i am curious as to how easy it actually is to convert an AR15 to auto. every claim i see is all or nothing, an unclimbable mountain or a 2 year old could do it by accident. unfortunately it's one of those things im not terribly comfortable googling to see for myself, lol. does anybody have any actual knowledge on this?
    Well you need to replace the receiver, its not that hard an operation, but you cannot legally acquire one, in fact even possession of one is a felony. That is of course assuming that you do not posses the licence to own full auto weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Well you need to replace the receiver, its not that hard an operation, but you cannot legally acquire one, in fact even possession of one is a felony. That is of course assuming that you do not posses the licence to own full auto weapons.
    can the existing receiver be modified to accomplish it? if so how demanding is the process?
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    can the existing receiver be modified to accomplish it? if so how demanding is the process?
    Almost impossible. The receivers simply are different.

- - - Updated - - -

OH and the next time you are looking for this thread, just sort by replies/views, it is the second longest thread on this board and as such easy to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    OH and the next time you are looking for this thread, just sort by replies/views, it is the second longest thread on this board and as such easy to find.
    ah, thanks, i just used keywords and it was still down there, lol
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

ah, thanks, i just used keywords and it was still down there, lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwp1iuCZxB4

A few parts around the house, a total time spent 1/2 an hour.

Man has a fully auto AR-15.

There's differences between an AR15 and an M16, the receiver mods could be done with proper machinery, but of course that same machinery could just make a new gun without worrying about buying the base AR15. Also other parts that are needed.

There are other ways to make an AR15 full auto without making it into the M16 (which has more versatility). Some are not that hard. Similarly, nearly any other semi-auto can be converted of varying degrees of difficulty.

Bumpfiring is a different animal, achieving similar results in some cases. Most such conversions lack in controlability compared to actual machineguns.