Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    And driving a car increases your risk of being killed.

And drinking booze...

And smoking...

And being overweight...

And bungee jumping...

And sky diving...

And rock climbing...

And walking outside your home...
    And purchasing a firearm increases your risk of being killed.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Police are paid to enforce the law. That's it. It's not their duty to protect and serve their communities.
    This is correct. The courts have even upheld the police have NO duty to protect you.

Source for this claim?
    UH, our founding fathers??? wtf

And for this one?
    History Books (I hope you get what I am after)

- - - Updated - - -

And purchasing a firearm increases your risk of being killed.
    Doing anything increases your risk of being killed. What is your point?

- - - Updated - - -

As I said before. Real freedom scares the shit out of some people here. Clearly.

Any man (or woman) should be able to own what they want, do any drug they want, or even abuse themselves by whatever ridiculous manor they want as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of another.

Want to smoke crack? Fine by me.

Want to own a gun? Fine by me.

Want to live in a tree? Fine by me.

Want to cut your own thumb off? Fine by me.

This country needs less laws and less government. By A LOT.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Police are paid to enforce the law. That's it. It's not their duty to protect and serve their communities.
    They are paid to do both. But in reality they rarely can save you from violent crime. So even a better reason to be armed.

10+ Year Old Account
    UH, our founding fathers??? wtf

History Books
    These aren't actual sources. They're words with absolutely no evidence.

Doing anything increases your risk of being killed. What is your point?
    That's absolutely not true. Going to the doctor doesn't increase my risk of being killed. Deciding to not purchase a firearm doesn't increase my risk of being killed.

The point is this: if I'm deciding whether or not I want to make myself more safe, the obvious choice is to not purchase a firearm.
    Eat yo vegetables

That's absolutely not true. Going to the doctor doesn't increase my risk of being killed. Deciding to not purchase a firearm doesn't increase my risk of being killed.

The point is this: if I'm deciding whether or not I want to make myself more safe, the obvious choice is to not purchase a firearm.
    Then don't purchase a firearm.

But don't try and push your ideals off as being right for me.

That is the point I am making.

Freedom is a wonderful thing.

The whole idea you can go "Minority Report" on firearms is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    These aren't actual sources. They're words with absolutely no evidence.

And that's fine and dandy. But don't try and enforce that on others eh?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

the rest is just pure inconsistency
    Inconsistent with your opinion, sure. Inconsistent with the values this country was founded on?

Not in the slightest.

However, I wouldn't expect someone from another country to understand the difference.

you do know this makes you sound like you´re going to hold some people at gunpoint to make things right?
    Because you're not reading what you want to into what I say, right?

a dozen other conflicts on american soil? that´s a new one
    Take a class on American history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

No, I didn't miss it. I acknowledged it. I'm surprised no one else brought it up, considering it's on the actual Philadelphia study itself.

But like I've said. Even if we consider the flaws in that specific study to completely invalidate the conclusion (something the response did not mention), there are truckloads of other studies (1, 2, 3) that all come to the same conclusion. Possession of a firearm makes you more likely to be killed or injured, than someone who does not own a firearm.

By purchasing a firearm, I'm literally increasing my risk of being violently killed. I thought guns were supposed to make us safe.
    1. Point out 'facts' and 'statistics' about how guns make society a dangerous place while arguing that no guns would make society a safe place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then don't purchase a firearm.

But don't try and push your ideals off as being right for me.

That is the point I am making.

Freedom is a wonderful thing.

The whole idea you can go "Minority Report" on firearms is ridiculous.
    You don't get it. Widespread firearm ownership is a public health issue. Billions of dollars are spent treating gunshot wounds and victims each year. This puts an incredibly deep strain on our already troubled health care system. You're "freedom" to own a firearm is directly effecting other individuals, and as such, it should be regulated and curtailed.
    Eat yo vegetables

You don't get it. Widespread firearm ownership is a public health issue. Billions of dollars are spent treating gunshot wounds and victims each year. This puts an incredibly deep strain on our already troubled health care system. You're "freedom" to own a firearm is directly effecting other individuals, and as such, it should be regulated and curtailed.
    And car crashes put even more financial stress on our health care system. We should ban them.

Booze puts more people in hospitals than firearms. We should ban that too. Woops - we tried that once.

Your fixation on firearms is irrational.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    oh my bad, after you mentioned the revolutionary and civil war i thought the other dozen were of similiar magnitude

linking that list as a backup for your claim that guns are good to get things done right is even better
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you don't get it. Other things kill way more people.

And don't quote freedom like it's not one. You know it is and refuse to accept it.

Other issues put a much larger strain on our healthcare system.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    And car crashes put even more financial stress on our health care system. We should ban them.

Booze puts more people in hospitals than firearms. We should ban that too. Woops - we tried that once.

all the stuff you listed is heavy regulated because of the things you mentioned, but not guns, because if they are heavy regulated the government will take them... a very reasonable argument in this day and age, very reasonable

/s
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    all the stuff you listed is heavy regulated because of the things you mentioned, but not guns, because if they are heavy regulated the government will take them... a very reasonable argument in this day and age, very reasonable

/s
    Oh really? How is booze more regulated than firearms?

Also , your pro-government stance scares the crap out of me. People like you are why the history books are filled with incidents of governments going full retard on their countries.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2014-05-16 at 01:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to be 21 to drink. It's impossible to drink under that age. Didn't you know?

And cars are regulated because you can be 16 and go through drivers ed or be 18 and just get a license if you aren't 100% disabled.

That extreme regulation....

10+ Year Old Account

You're engaging in a false equivalency, but I'll play along.

Private car ownership is extremely beneficial to society. Without it, society would literally collapse, overnight. You can't say the same for firearms. Plus they're highly regulated. Alcohol is also highly regulated. You can't sell alcohol between private parties. You need a liquor license.
    Eat yo vegetables

Or sugar, or obesity etc.. All lead to more deaths then guns. But we give the freedom to people to eat as much sugar or over eat as much crap as they want without regulation.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's only obvious if you're so simple as to attempt to apply statistical analysis to individual circumstance.

If what you are claiming were true in all circumstances, doesn't that make it insane for law enforcement agencies across the country to purchase and equip officers with weapons?

Are you trying to say that training, storage, and individual ability have no bearing on outcomes How about the circumstances that lead to one seeking out a firearm in the first place?

The idea that you are more likely to die from a gun if you own them (suicide, accidental, etc) is a big 'No Shit Sherlock'... It's pretty tough to accidentally discharge a weapon that is imaginary, and 'Japan' is all that needs to be said about suicide and guns...

I do love how you try to wrap your argument in "public health" rhetoric... Like there aren't thirty other more pressing public health concerns. Like how we have decided time and again that personal freedom outweighs these public health concerns.

If you truly believe reasonable minds can differ, why do you spend so much time trying to paint those that do differ from you as unreasonable?
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

You can't say the same for firearms.
    This is pure opinion. Nothing more.

Plus they're highly regulated.
    What is "highly" regulated mean? Come take a drive with my 94 year old grandfather.

Alcohol is also highly regulated.
    No, not really. There is an age limit. That is it.

You can't sell alcohol between private parties.
    Yes you can.

You need a liquor license.
    I think you are not being clear on purpose. This answer is different if you are a business.

Kind of like guns. You need an FFL to sell them as a BUSINESS.

Oh my... its almost as if the same regulations exist for both...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Or sugar, or obesity etc.. All lead to more deaths then guns. But we give the freedom to people to eat as much sugar or over eat as much crap as they want without regulation.
    Not if you live in NY! Good ol' nanny Bloomberg is here to save you from yourself!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pure opinion. Nothing more.

What is "highly" regulated mean? Come take a drive with my 94 year old grandfather.

No, not really. There is an age limit. That is it.

Yes you can.

I think you are not being clear on purpose. This answer is different if you are a business.

Kind of like guns. You need an FFL to sell them as a BUSINESS.

Oh my... its almost as if the same regulations exist for both...
    How dare you prove them wrong?

Quit being so unreasonable.

Fact is they will continue to try and take away our right to bear arms. It drives them mad that people all around them can have guns. The crazy thing is they (if they live in the US) have most likely lived within a block of someone who owns a firearm. And yet none of them have ever been involved in a gun related accident.

It's almost as if the amount of 'gun crime' is miniscule compared to the amount of people we have in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    How dare you prove them wrong?

Quit being so unreasonable.

Fact is they will continue to try and take away our right to bear arms. It drives them mad that people all around them can have guns. The crazy thing is they (if they live in the US) have most likely lived within a block of someone who owns a firearm. And yet none of them have ever been involved in a gun related accident.

It's almost as if the amount of 'gun crime' is miniscule compared to the amount of people we have in this country.
    Well they ignored my quotes involving the last AWB a few pages ago. I was hoping they might have something to say regarding those.