Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by zozobra View Post
    I like guns. I like shooting tin cans and bottles and stuff for target practice. But I think guns should be harder to obtain. Especially pistols/hand guns, which are designed to kill people, not game. On top of background checks and registrations, we should have to take mandatory training and/or written tests for a license or an endorsement on your license, like we have to do to ride motorcycles and operate other large vehicles.
    Interesting factoid....

NO.

And I'm really serious about that. It's a reasonable thing to want, hell I want it, but it's a giant beast to implement.

What really gets me is that the following used to not be controversy...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    I don't know why people own firearms. I do know that they're intended for killing. If people want to use them in different ways, great.
    Another false assertion. Guns have more purposes than just to kill people. Target practice, which you may not enjoy, many do would be one. I am not aware of Annie Oakley ever killing anyone with a gun. A gun is designed to shoot a projectile at a high rate of speed. How the gun is used is up to the one who is using it. Not referring to military weapons. But there is even one gun made in Germany which is designed specifically for Olympic competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    I wasn't ignoring reality. You were trying to have a new discussion based off of walking into the middle of an on going one Donny. But DONNY since you probably still won't understand here, I was continuing the conversation about how 1 item/object created for X means/reasons could have Y existence. Now, I know that might be hard to follow; you've failed once already. Try going back over the last 4 pages of this thread. You'll get there Donny. Don't give up.
    With me telling you that the y existence is regulated to prevent the x reason, means you are ignoring what I am saying to try and insult.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    A gun is designed to shoot a projectile at a high rate of speed. How the gun is used is up to the one who is using it.
    What is the purpose of open carry? Can this gun be understood in a different way?

Its not against wild animals not a part of a collection not for sport or competion in this context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Oh, so you're telling me that responsible ownership plays an important role? And that legislation alone doesn't prevent access?

Fireworks are only illegal in a few states, and the number one injury source (sparklers) are illegal in even fewer.
    No, what I am telling you is that we have laws that inhibit it from being used as a weapon and your statistics confirm that.
    Last edited by Felya; 2014-12-23 at 06:39 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Knives have been around since prehistoric times. It's hard to determine their original intended purpose.
    It is not hard at all. It's intended purpose was to ether stab or cut something. Be it dead meat or alive beasts, rawhide or wood..etc..etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    With me telling you that the y existence is regulated to prevent the x reason, means you are ignoring what I am saying to try and insult.
    Not at all. Do you really want to have that conversation? Do you??? DO YOU????

This is a trap btw. You don't want to have that conversation.

10+ Year Old Account

We are having a conversation, you are just being obtuse and insulting, instead of actually staying on topic. Why bother asking, when you can actually respond with an argument? Feel free to respond to what I am saying instead of insulting and having a conversation with your self.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    What is the purpose of open carry? Can this gun be understood in a different way?

Its not against wild animals not a part of a collection not for sport or competion in this context.
    For one, some states feel open carry is inline with the Constitution , where it says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Another thing to remember is in some places in the US, a person may open carry to shoot wild animals which may attack him. And some states now allow handguns, ( .357 and .44 mag ) for hunting deer. And if the jogger in Michigan this summer who was mauled to death by 2 dogs had been carrying, maybe he would still be alive.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Someone who conceals their weapon is more dangerous than someone who open carries. Though I'm not sure what open carry has to do with anything.

No, what I am telling you is that we have laws that inhibit it from being used as a weapon and your statistics confirm that.
    Maybe you were talking with another poster? My post was about the efficacy of firework laws at preventing access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you were talking with another poster? My post was about the efficacy of firework laws at preventing access.
    Unless you claim that they are ineffective, we are in agreement.

Unless you claim that they are ineffective, we are in agreement.
    They are quite ineffective. Ancedotally, I can buy whatever I want in my state, regardless of laws. Hell, I can buy illegal fireworks at Walmart.

40% of those injured are kids under the age of 15. Clearly the law is not effective at preventing access.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are quite ineffective. Ancedotally, I can buy whatever I want in my state, regardless of laws. Hell, I can buy illegal fireworks at Walmart.

40% of those injured are kids under the age of 15. Clearly the law is not effective at preventing access.
    No, 40% of 100 people is just 40 and means there were only 40 injuries. There have been 8 deaths, 40% of those deaths is between 4 and 3. It's quite effective, you are just ignoring the whole to focus on 40% there of. It's an ineffective weapon...

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like you are the one who does not want to have a conversation. Your trap seems faulty...

No, 40% of 100 people is just 40 and means there were only 40 injuries. There have been 8 deaths, 40% of those deaths is between 4 and 3. It's quite effective, you are just ignoring the whole to focus on 40% there of. It's an ineffective weapon...
    When did I claim it was a weapon? Are you drunk?

A gun may kill; its function is to launch high speed projectiles; its purposes are any for which same may be useful. Off the top of my head, for instance, a pistol might be used to breach glass behind which someone may be trapped but is too strong for just beating on. Some may have read how a lot of automatic fire by the military misses without knowing much of that fire isn't directly meant to, but rather is suppressive fire to prevent an enemy from acting. A firearm is a tool -- a very potent tool and as dangerous if used irresponsibly as an earthmover.

10+ Year Old Account
    When did I claim it was a weapon? Are you drunk?
    The person I was responding to, regarding use of fireworks as weapons in China. It's why I started talking about fireworks and you jumped in. Care to post the whole that the 40% is a portion of or are you going to start insulting and then disapear like the guy who brought up fireworks?

The person I was responding to, regarding use of fireworks as weapons in China. It's why I started talking about fireworks and you jumped in. Care to post the whole that the 40% is a portion of or are you going to start insulting and then disapear like the guy who brought up fireworks?
    It's already been linked. As I said before when I posted it, feel free to browse at your leisure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Someone who conceals their weapon is more dangerous than someone who open carries. Though I'm not sure what open carry has to do with anything.
    How are they more dangerous? I can see if they do not carry their concealed weapon the way it should be. But that also applies to someone carrying out in the open. One thing is for sure, conceal carry helps to keep from terrifying some who are deathly afraid of guns.

Also, I just posted some reasons for open carrying. Right above your post. Unless you are saying none of that is true. If so, you live a pretty sheltered life.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's already been linked. As I said before when I posted it, feel free to browse at your leisure.
    I did, it's why you keep posting the 40%, while I'm pointing out that fatalities is only 8. The 40% is only large, because of the total being so few. This includes 4th of July...