Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Pretty much the only thing that doesn't, is a 200-year-old document that's been taken hostage by special interest groups.
    The prevailing progressive complaint about the Constitution -- be it the 2nd Amendment, or its general framing as (properly) a list of restraints and limits on the power of the government -- is that it's taken hostage by its text. And worse, it's gone full Stockholm syndrom for its text.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Whee, appeals to authority and strawmen, wheeeeeee.
    Again. The evidence supports my position. Confirmation bias isn't needed to accept said evidence. Just common sense, and a good dose of science-acceptance.
    Eat yo vegetables

Again. The evidence supports my position. Confirmation bias isn't needed to accept said evidence. Just common sense, and a good dose of science-acceptance.
    But you said above that "I perfectly willing to admit that statistics don't support my side, but I'm also unwilling to wait until statistics do support my side in order to take action.

Are you a science denier?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a tremendous amount of evidence that supports my position.
    Not really. There's evidence that you think supports your position. That's the sticky difference between correlative and causative.

To be more precise, you take any evidence that purports to support a correlative relationship as if it's evidence that therefore supports a causative relationship.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Not really. There's evidence that you think supports your position. That's the sticky difference between correlative and causative.

To be more precise, you take any evidence that purports to support a correlative relationship as if it's evidence that therefore supports a causative relationship.
    Probably because he knows that studies have established a relationship between these variables, and changing one would mean an observation in the change in another as per the relationship. And he takes that evidence to heart, probably because it's the only evidence presented in this thread.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2015-02-09 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Probably because he knows that studies have established a relationship between these variables, and changing one would mean an observation in the change in another as per the relationship.
    Which is why they massage the numbers to make sure the outcome is the one they want. Like calling 5k people in a state like California then you and your buddy try to tell people it is indicative of the entire nation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Probably because he knows that studies have established a relationship between these variables, and changing one would mean an observation in the change in another as per the relationship.
    Classic cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. I don't think anybody is surprised at you making this false logical assertion, however.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Classic cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. I don't think anybody is surprised at you making this false logical assertion, however.
    It would need the word "scientific" in front of it.

15+ Year Old Account

oh the irony
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Can someone tell me what is an assault weapon? And which gun is more deadly?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post

the one on the left
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    the one on the left
    Left? There's a top and bottom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation

Neither of them. Assault weapon is a stupid, meaningless buzzword created by the anti-gun movement to demonise a certain subset of weapons. A better and more accurate name would be "scary looking weapon". Mind you scary looking for anti-gunners who know nothing about guns...
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Left? There's a top and bottom.
    So your question wasn´t a joke? oh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It sure is..

The posts here are earlier and there are more I have saved.
    Now that is what I call KO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Well that seems to be a problem on both sides of the discussion. I´m apparently on ignore too. I´m also of course accused of the most ridiculous things, but hey it´s still fun to read the posts.
    In your situation, you're likely on ignore because you don't live here and you don't really have a dog in the race either way. Gun control in the US can't possibly matter enough to you in order for you to have a legitimate opinion on it one way or another. It's like if I wanted to talk about gun laws in Africa. I don't live there. I can't possibly understand their situation enough for me to have a legitimate opinion on their gun laws. So I just don't involve myself to save myself and anyone who actually does live there some headache and embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem
    You say, yes a hypothesis does imply science and then explain how you need context. So for you it´s redundant, but it doesn´t make it wrong. What´s your point?
    We're talking about the English language, where many words have multiple uses and the definitions change based on context. Context is always important. That doesn't change the fact that hypothesis implies science. You're never going to hear the word 'hypothesis' and think 'oh he must be talking about that thing that has nothing to do with science.'

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong
    This is what happens during a debate, people just get more entrenched in the opinion they had when they started.
    My opinion about guns has stayed fairly consistent throughout this whole thread. It's the people who continue to post the same bullshit ad nauseam that my opinion has changed about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    In your situation, you're likely on ignore because you don't live here and you don't really have a dog in the race either way. Gun control in the US can't possibly matter enough to you in order for you to have a legitimate opinion on it one way or another. It's like if I wanted to talk about gun laws in Africa. I don't live there. I can't possibly understand their situation enough for me to have a legitimate opinion on their gun laws. So I just don't involve myself to save myself and anyone who actually does live there some headache and embarrassment.

My opinion about guns has stayed fairly consistent throughout this whole thread. It's the people who continue to post the same bullshit ad nauseam that my opinion has changed about.
    Well as for my reasons for participating in this thread, I am considering moving to the US if things continue to go badly in Europe. Also gun laws in the US are a great inspiration for gun rights people all around the world.

Heh pretty much that, but I cannot understand why would anyone who is in this thread for some time continue to debate with Rukentuts, whose posts are frankly an insult to my intelligence. After all the ignore list is here for a reason.

Classic no argument. Maybe you should learn what a statistical correlation is, and how they compute coefficients. Because it would appear you lack the most basic knowledg on the subject. I linked it for you. Read up.

In statistics, dependence is any statistical relationship between two random variables or two sets of data. Correlation refers to any of a broad class of statistical relationships involving dependence.

Familiar examples of dependent phenomena include the correlation between the physical statures of parents and their offspring, and the correlation between the demand for a product and its price.
    Because in my link you didn't read, you'd see, in plain diction even the most unqualified minds could understand, that causation isn't required for an observed mathematical relationship.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2015-02-09 at 01:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    We´re debating gun control, you can have an opinion on gun control without being a US citizen. Why do you think an issue from another country can´t matter enough for me to have an opinion? Well if you wanted to discuss gun control in Africa (pretty broad if you ask me) you´d have to discuss it with people that live there to understand their situation, don´t you think?

We're talking about the English language, where many words have multiple uses and the definitions change based on context. Context is always important. That doesn't change the fact that hypothesis implies science. You're never going to hear the word 'hypothesis' and think 'oh he must be talking about that thing that has nothing to do with science.'
    Hypothesis doesn´t imply science, it might sound sciency, but it doesn´t imply it. Just like research and scientific research.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    We´re debating gun control, you can have an opinion on gun control without being a US citizen. Why do you think an issue from another country can´t matter enough for me to have an opinion? Well if you wanted to discuss gun control in Africa (pretty broad if you ask me) you´d have to discuss it with people that live there to understand their situation, don´t you think?
    Discussing gun control in a generic sense is fine. Discussing it as it pertains to a specific region of the world where you can't experience it firsthand is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Hypothesis doesn´t imply science, it might sound sciency, but it doesn´t imply it. Just like research and scientific research.
    Like I said, you're never going to hear the word 'hypothesis' and think someone is talking about something non scientific. Adding the word 'scientific' is pointless and redundant.