Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Additional ballistic and forensic evidence would absolutely be beneficial to solving crimes.
    How will it work once you remove it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    How will it work once you remove it?
    It won't, obviously. Though we can use hard ceramics, making it very difficult to remove.

Also, crimes are often solved through the police running serial numbers. And those are on the exterior of the firearm.

If criminals are too lazy to remove those, they'll certainly be too lazy to remove marking from the firing pin. So, your argument is moot.
    Eat yo vegetables

It won't, obviously. Though we can use hard ceramics, making it very difficult to remove.

Also, crimes are often solved through the police running serial numbers. And those are on the exterior of the firearm.

If criminals are too lazy to remove those, they'll certainly be too lazy to remove marking from the firing pin. So, your argument is moot.
    As I understand it, the marking is on the cartridge case of each bullet. So even if it is stamped you could just have a cartridge catcher. No need to alter the gun in anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I understand it, the marking is on the cartridge case of each bullet. So even if it is stamped you could just have a cartridge catcher. No need to alter the gun in anyway.
    And even still, we find spent cartridges at crimes scenes all the time, which already contain ballistic information. My not make that information more accurate?
    Eat yo vegetables

And even still, we find spent cartridges at crimes scenes all the time, which already contain ballistic information. My not make that information more accurate?
    I think we both know microstamped bullets are not the same, criminals will make it a priority now making it even harder to solve crimes IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we both know microstamped bullets are not the same, criminals will make it a priority now making it even harder to solve crimes IMO.
    What an absolutely ridiculous statement. You actually think microstamping will make it harder to solve crimes?

You know, a few posts ago you dodged a question by stating "I'm not a lawyer so I won't go into the first question." And yet now you're an expert in criminal justice and forensics? Interesting how that works.
    Eat yo vegetables

What an absolutely ridiculous statement. You actually think microstamping will make it harder to solve crimes?

You know, a few posts ago you dodged a question by stating "I'm not a lawyer so I won't go into the first question." And yet now you're an expert in criminal justice and forensics? Interesting how that works.
    No, I am an expert in criminals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgive me for being incredulous. Anyone that thinks additional ballistic information will actually make it harder to solve crimes is certainly no expert in criminals.
    Eat yo vegetables

I'm not a lawyer so I won't go into the first question.

As for the second question, how is this going to stop criminals? You think they won't just alter or remove whatever stamps the bullet? All it will do is increase the prices of guns for no reason. Par for the course with liberals, enact a feelgood law that does nothing so you can say you did something.
    As for the micro-stamping, it really has no bearing whatsoever on preventing crime, and would be surprised if defended on those terms -- it's basically an investigative tool for after a crime failed to be prevented. May have, in fact, failed to be prevented by someone who couldn't reasonably afford or obtain a CA compliant handgun or legally use it if they could, so interest balancing is a very tenuous thing.

The point of the micro-stamping requirement and, for instance, NJ's "smart gun" mandate, is just to minimize the type and availability of firearms as an end unto itself, which honestly isn't something that reasonable people should be able to look at as a policy goal reconcilable with the 2nd Amendment any more than a law restricting the number of available newspapers and magazines and their content is with the 1st.

(insert specious argument that the 2nd Amendment doesn't deserve comparison to the 1st or 3rd-8th because reasons)

Except it does, so there!

The whole point of this garbage law is to force more manufacturers out of cali. Smith & Wesson an Ruger have already said they wont be making guns compliant. As for firearms that will be sold do you honestly think this will do shit. Obviously you have no idea how easy it is to change a firing pin to one with no stamping on it. Not to mention 3 secs with a grinder an bye bye microstamping if you want to go the cheap easy route. This is a joke an anyone who thinks this is a reasonable or smart idea is a fucking retard an definitely lives up to the idiots in calis thinking.
    Last edited by ugotownd; 2015-03-02 at 07:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you? What do you do for a living?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Are you? What do you do for a living?
    Do criminals have a certain line of work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    The point of the micro-stamping requirement and, for instance, NJ's "smart gun" mandate, is just to minimize the type and availability of firearms as an end unto itself
    Conspiracy theories are not allowed on these forums, Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    This is a joke an anyone who thinks this is a reasonable or smart idea is a fucking retard an definitely lives up to the idiots in calis thinking.
    The International Association of Chiefs of Police wholeheartedly endorse microstamping. In fact, they believe that:

This technology would be used to help law enforcement identify the first known purchaser of a weapon used in crime, therefore providing leads that would allow for substantial evidentiary information that will help identify, apprehend and arrest criminals.

Are they a "fucking retard"? Do you know something that they don't?
    Eat yo vegetables

What conspiracy theory? I don't see Moonbeam or Harris tripping over themselves now that the type and amount of available firearms for sale in CA has already been reduced (see above re: S&W and Ruger) to reverse themselves. So if it is already demonstrably a result of their enforcement of the statute, and they appear perfectly comfortable with that, where is the secret conspiracy?

10+ Year Old Account

The International Association of Chiefs of Police wholeheartedly endorse microstamping. In fact, they believe that:

This technology would be used to help law enforcement identify the first known purchaser of a weapon used in crime, therefore providing leads that would allow for substantial evidentiary information that will help identify, apprehend and arrest criminals.

Any idea how much adding this microstamping technology to weapons will cost per weapon?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Unless the gun is stolen from the original owner do you think they would sell the gun illegally with the micro stamp intact? You remove it and that's it. It's just a form of tax on law abiding gun owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Any idea how much adding this microstamping technology to weapons will cost per weapon?
    About $200.00 per is the estimate I saw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    What conspiracy theory?
    The idea that the overall goal is a reduction in weapons for the sake of having a reduction in weapons. There's absolutely no evidence for this, therefore, it's a conspiracy theory.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless the gun is stolen from the original owner do you think they would sell the gun illegally with the micro stamp intact? You remove it and that's it. It's just a form of tax on law abiding gun owners.

- - - Updated - - -

That's kind of crazy. Especially if you have to buy a lower end pistol because you don't have a very good income. That could damn near double the cost of the weapon.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen estimates of $8.00 per firearm to $2.00 per firearm. I'd have to dig them up to know for certain. The International Association of Chiefs of Police stated that "microstamping technology has proven to be an inexpensive, yet effective way to mark and identify firearm shell casings."

- - - Updated - - -

Bahahahaha. What a complete joke. Let's see that source, lockedout.
    Eat yo vegetables

That's kind of crazy. Especially if you have to buy a lower end pistol because you don't have a very good income. That could damn near double the cost of the weapon.
    All it does is tag the brass, not to mention it could easily be removed. It's nothing more then a 200 dollar tax IMO.