View Poll Results: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Voters
4665. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2,811 60.26%
  • No

    1,854 39.74%
  1. #49581
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    As an aside, Switzerland has a gun culture, with high gun ownership and no mass shootings.
    Switzerland in general though has a far different culture than the US, even their gun culture is far different, weapons are all registered, even ammunition is watched closely, guns are treated serious by everyone, kids learn early on gun safety, true gun safety from the articles I've read.

    Switzerland is probably a good example that gun friendly culture can work, but the US would need to make some serious changes in order to get close to what they have.

    http://www.businessinsider.com/switz...-deaths-2018-2
    Last edited by Casterbridge; 2018-03-28 at 01:20 PM.

  2. #49582
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    My bad then.
    I thought school shootings were a problem in America.
    They arent, we have a gang gun problem. More people die from accidental poisoning then from gun deaths for their age group, yet nobody is claiming we have a poisoning problem. Then again, it could be because the media isnt plastering the news with poisoning deaths that nobody notices.

  3. #49583
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    They arent, we have a gang gun problem. More people die from accidental poisoning then from gun deaths for their age group, yet nobody is claiming we have a poisoning problem. Then again, it could be because the media isnt plastering the news with poisoning deaths that nobody notices.
    Im sorry, but you've had 20 "incidents with guns" in school grounds.
    8 of them were actual school shootings.

    From january to March

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/558128...land-shooting/

    If this is not a problem, i dont know what is...
    Sure there are bigger problems in your country, but even just 1 school shooting is 1 too many school shootings. You've had 8 of them and its friggin March.

  4. #49584
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Im sorry, but you've had 20 "incidents with guns" in school grounds.
    8 of them were actual school shootings.

    From january to March

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/558128...land-shooting/

    If this is not a problem, i dont know what is...
    Sure there are bigger problems in your country, but even just 1 school shooting is 1 too many school shootings. You've had 8 of them and its friggin March.
    It pales in comparison to the other problems we have. That is the point. One child dying from a gang shooting is one too many. No one is refuting that. And you can not compare your country with us, which does not have the same culture, government or Constitution and history we have. I would be foolish to try to compare my country to others, esp. when I do not need to.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  5. #49585
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It pales in comparison to the other problems we have. That is the point. One child dying from a gang shooting is one too many. No one is refuting that. And you can not compare your country with us, which does not have the same culture, government or Constitution and history we have. I would be foolish to try to compare my country to others, esp. when I do not need to.
    I know it pales in comparison to other problems but is still a messed up situation. Its kids at school.
    And i think its the perfect time to compare yourself to other countries.
    Even if you dont like the idea because its "Murica" and America is the best.
    But jesus, is the perfect time to compare your culture to other cultures to make a stop to it.

  6. #49586
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    My bad then.
    I thought school shootings were a problem in America.
    Actually they are not s problem. Kids are safer in school now more then they have ever been. School shooting are even on a decline. But listening to the media you wouldn't know thay
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

  7. #49587
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Actually they are not s problem. Kids are safer in school now more then they have ever been. School shooting are even on a decline. But listening to the media you wouldn't know thay
    But there were 8 actual school shooting this year. 20 "gun incidents"

  8. #49588
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    But there were 8 actual school shooting this year. 20 "gun incidents"
    But..but..but...I dont know the stats, however if they are in decline, then its a good thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I know it pales in comparison to other problems but is still a messed up situation. Its kids at school.
    No worse then kids who die at home in larger numbers because they decided to eat a fucking Tide pod. Or a toddler who died after drinking some cleaner stored under the sink. ITS KIDS AT HOME!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    And i think its the perfect time to compare yourself to other countries.
    Its not, because every country has a different culture and conditions that exist that makes their problems or causes unique. What would work for one country wouldnt necessarily work for another. The drinking age is Germany is 16. Should we institute that since it appears to be working in Germany?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Even if you dont like the idea because its "Murica" and America is the best.
    If you are just here to poke fun of a certain segment of our population than we really have nothing to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    But jesus, is the perfect time to compare your culture to other cultures to make a stop to it.
    Culture can not change overnight, secondly there is nothing in the American culture that points to guns being the source of the problem. Its more a violence problem, do guns facilitate the killing caused by the violence? Sure, but the root cause is the feeling that our problems are solved using violence. That is what needs to change.

  9. #49589
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Here are two cases of charges of armed robbery for using a finger just this year:
    https://regina.ctvnews.ca/police-say...ries-1.3811617

    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...07228b4b1.html

    In Missouri First Degree Robbery is Armed Robbery https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/...i_laws_570-023

    And here's a case of a conviction and failed appeal even:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/30...onviction.html
    Looks like I'm wrong.

    Apparently pretending to have a gun in a way credible enough for the intended victim to honestly believe you is enough.

    So I guess pretending to have a gun can qualify as an example of "defensive use of firearms" in the broadest possible definition.

    What a world we live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.

  10. #49590
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I know it pales in comparison to other problems but is still a messed up situation. Its kids at school.
    And i think its the perfect time to compare yourself to other countries.
    Even if you dont like the idea because its "Murica" and America is the best.
    But jesus, is the perfect time to compare your culture to other cultures to make a stop to it.
    Not at all. While we should certainly continue to help reduce gun violence here in all shapes and forms, some freedoms do come with some costs.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  11. #49591
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,760
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    And if that cost was the life of your child or grandchild in a school shooting, do you think you would continue to believe it’s a cost worth paying?
    Yes I would. And I would be advocating for stronger security at the school, with some there armed well enough to help prevent another such tragedy and reduce the lost of lives.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  12. #49592
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    And if that cost was the life of your child or grandchild in a school shooting, do you think you would continue to believe it’s a cost worth paying?
    Why not? We all make that cost benefit analysis everyday with thousands of items.

  13. #49593
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,760
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    TBH, I find that very scary. You generally come across as a reasonable person, but your reply leans toward a religious fanaticism for an object designed to kill.
    Why is it scary? , when one of my children could die in a car crash also. Would depend on why they did. I would not instantly go into melt down and demand no cars or if it was alcohol related, do away with beer, whiskey or wine. I would weep, be very sadden. But also realistic. I consider a firearm as a tool. Not something which kills on it's own.

    I can tell you this, if my daughter was to be raped and killed and she had no firearm to help prevent such, I would be very upset the scum was not shot and killed before he could. Which by the way, she does carry a firearm ready for such.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-03-28 at 05:52 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  14. #49594
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    It’s scary to think that you, a reasonable guy, see the schooling shootings as part of the cost of having the freedom to own firearms, even if those dead children were your own. Maybe it’s cultural difference, but I really struggle to understand you view.
    Do you support Prohibition?

    I ask because I'm trying to get you to see that all the dead people from drunk driving accidents, you see them as part of the cost of having the freedom to consume alcohol.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2018-03-28 at 06:12 PM.

  15. #49595
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    22,760
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    It’s scary to think that you, a reasonable guy, see the schooling shootings as part of the cost of having the freedom to own firearms, even if those dead children were your own. Maybe it’s cultural difference, but I really struggle to understand you view.
    You do understand that down thru more than 200 years, blood as had to be shed in order for us to maintain the freedoms we have here? There is a cost for freedoms. There is a cost of lives to keep having the privileged to use private transportation. Think of it in that state of mind.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  16. #49596
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    And if that cost was the life of your child or grandchild in a school shooting, do you think you would continue to believe it’s a cost worth paying?
    Most people understand that nothing that has been proposed will stop these actions.

  17. #49597
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    TBH, I find that very scary. You generally come across as a reasonable person, but your reply leans toward a religious fanaticism for an object designed to kill.
    My child is more likely to die from a distracted driver than getting shot, the odds aren't even close. So lets ban cell phones, more lives will be saved, and not just school children.

  18. #49598
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    My child is more likely to die from a distracted driver than getting shot, the odds aren't even close. So lets ban cell phones, more lives will be saved, and not just school children.
    So in your eyes there is absolutely no problem.
    Not even worth debating this.
    Because school shootings are not a real problem.

  19. #49599
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    So in your eyes there is absolutely no problem.
    Not even worth debating this.
    Because school shootings are not a real problem.
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will not fix the problem. The main problem is people focus too much on the HOW and not the WHY.
    Last edited by zenkai; 2018-06-18 at 07:42 PM.

  20. #49600
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    So in your eyes there is absolutely no problem.
    Not even worth debating this.
    Because school shootings are not a real problem.
    What we are saying is, that:
    1. There are other dangers that have more of a chance of happening then getting shot in school or getting shot in general.
    2. That there hasnt been anything proposed (short of a complete ban) that would stop these events from happening.

    It would be beneficial if you just took a step back, let go of the emotion of the subject and then debate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •