Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do not think you will get much disagreement with that on here. Everyone is not allowed to have firearms by the laws in every state I am sure. But if you do not have a criminal record, or committed a crime which would bar such, every citizen has that right already as defined in the Constitution for self defense.

And in my state, ( sure it is in all of them ), being under the influence of any mind altering drug, is reasons to keep you from carrying a firearm in the public for damn sure.
    Oh yea i agree i just do not want the ease of access to the mentally disturbed and the like to have access to them. Now projecting that to actually make a difference is almost impossible. Its a catch 22 honestly and i think if more people went hunting like i did with my father and now i continue that with my brother they would change their tune to the idea. Some of my best memories are getting my first deer or a squirrel ( its actually good tasting btw ).

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    Oh yea i agree i just do not want the ease of access to the mentally disturbed and the like to have access to them. Now projecting that to actually make a difference is almost impossible. Its a catch 22 honestly and i think if more people went hunting like i did with my father and now i continue that with my brother they would change their tune to the idea. Some of my best memories are getting my first deer or a squirrel ( its actually good tasting btw ).
    I like deer trail baloney. Not too keen on squirrel and I do not hunt anymore. And yes, I agree the mentally disturbed, determined by a medical professional to be such and after due process, should not have access to firearms.

Now on a more at home article which happened here in my state recently...https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-gran...r-gun-intruder

An Ohio grandfather with a loaded gun stopped a burglar who broke into his home on Tuesday, according to a local report.

Daniel McGown, 73, said he found an intruder in his Akron home and held him at gunpoint until police arrived.

“They picked the wrong house,” McGown told WEWS-TV.

And in this case, it is a good thing no one was hurt. So the homeowner was able to detain him until the police came.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I like deer trail baloney. Not too keen on squirrel and I do not hunt anymore. And yes, I agree the mentally disturbed, determined by a medical professional to be such and after due process, should not have access to firearms.

Now on a more at home article which happened here in my state recently...https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-gran...r-gun-intruder

An Ohio grandfather with a loaded gun stopped a burglar who broke into his home on Tuesday, according to a local report.

Daniel McGown, 73, said he found an intruder in his Akron home and held him at gunpoint until police arrived.

“They picked the wrong house,” McGown told WEWS-TV.

And in this case, it is a good thing no one was hurt. So the homeowner was able to detain him until the police came.
    Squirrel is fantastic same with Possum ( sure someone will call me a hillbilly but its great ). This is why i find it hard for the anti-gun crowd to be taken seriously. First of all the old man did the right thing and secondly they forget the large amount of guns in circulation would be akin to prohibition era which is why guns/ammo sales always sky rocket during a Democratic leadership and they slide during a Republican one ( its funny to read some of the finance articles about this ).

The amount of effort that would be required would be insane, the door to door checks would likely cause violence. The amount of money they would have to put forward to do a buy back program would be more then 3 times what the gun/ammo was valued at so again unrealistic. I honestly think that the people who have these grand ideas have not really studied or took the time to educate themselves on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    Squirrel is fantastic same with Possum ( sure someone will call me a hillbilly but its great ). This is why i find it hard for the anti-gun crowd to be taken seriously. First of all the old man did the right thing and secondly they forget the large amount of guns in circulation would be akin to prohibition era which is why guns/ammo sales always sky rocket during a Democratic leadership and they slide during a Republican one ( its funny to read some of the finance articles about this ).

The amount of effort that would be required would be insane, the door to door checks would likely cause violence. The amount of money they would have to put forward to do a buy back program would be more then 3 times what the gun/ammo was valued at so again unrealistic. I honestly think that the people who have these grand ideas have not really studied or took the time to educate themselves on it.
    Yep. The gun culture and the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms is why any confiscation is never going to happen here. And it is amusing to watch some of the interviews with people protesting against gun ownership and calling for more restrictions and see how they lack a lot of knowledge on the subject. They are being brain washed by the media or other sources. Examples would be calling the AR-15 weapons of war. As if no other firearms are available which matches them.

Another case of a murdered person who might have been able to save herself if she had been armed. https://www.foxnews.com/us/washingto...-random-attack

A University of California, Davis graduate was stabbed to death Tuesday evening in what appeared to be random attack while walking a dog in Washington, D.C.

Margery Magill, 27, was found on a sidewalk in the northeast part of the city with multiple stab wounds. She worked part time for Rover, an online dog walking company, and was walking a dog for a family in the area, according to WRC-TV.

Eliyas Aregahegne, 24, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder Wednesday. The attack was not an attempted robbery or sexually motivated, police told the news outlet, and the suspect did not appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Yep. The gun culture and the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms is why any confiscation is never going to happen here. And it is amusing to watch some of the interviews with people protesting against gun ownership and calling for more restrictions and see how they lack a lot of knowledge on the subject. They are being brain washed by the media or other sources. Examples would be calling the AR-15 weapons of war. As if no other firearms are available which matches them.

Another case of a murdered person who might have been able to save herself if she had been armed. https://www.foxnews.com/us/washingto...-random-attack

A University of California, Davis graduate was stabbed to death Tuesday evening in what appeared to be random attack while walking a dog in Washington, D.C.

Margery Magill, 27, was found on a sidewalk in the northeast part of the city with multiple stab wounds. She worked part time for Rover, an online dog walking company, and was walking a dog for a family in the area, according to WRC-TV.

Eliyas Aregahegne, 24, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder Wednesday. The attack was not an attempted robbery or sexually motivated, police told the news outlet, and the suspect did not appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
    I read that story, it was tragic. I hear the killer was here from another country to attend college but had not attended class since 2013. He also had a criminal history according to NBC news, which begs, why was he still here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I read that story, it was tragic. I hear the killer was here from another country to attend college but had not attended class since 2013. He also had a criminal history according to NBC news, which begs, why was he still here?
    Gheeze. Yeah his ass should have been deported a long time ago. The authorities bare some of the blame for her death. Which is why I do not depend on the police in protecting me.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Of course they won't - the kind of willful ignorance it takes to NOT equate gun access with gun violence is to ingrained in many states to ever change the 2nd amendment. But it doesn't stop me from occasionally trying to bring some logic and reasoning into the discussion.
    So you're saying ban all guns and take all guns?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Wouldn't it be amazing if your Dear Leader actually took the real immigration issues seriously instead of making up crisis to "solve"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So you're saying ban all guns and take all guns?
    Awwwww, look at you trying to bait me. Adorable. Let me know when you're ready to have a serious conversation that involves the highly complicated topic of having more guns equates with more gun violence. Until then, enjoy your fishing.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many mass shootings per day do we have to achieve before people start to allow emotion to cloud their ability to think about this issue rationally?
    Fixed that for you. It's sad that you honestly think that letting your emotions dictate your thinking will lead you to more rational thought when it's literally the other way around.

How many people still think the Constitution can't be amended, even when they put all their intellectual might behind an AMENDMENT?
    And yet the ratification of the Constitution was only made possible by the promise of adding the Bill of Rights, including the 2nd Amendment, to the Constitution. And you're also ignoring the fact that subsequent Amendments have only expanded rights instead of restricting them, with the notable exception of the 18th Amendment, later repealed in the 21st.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Fixed that for you. It's sad that you honestly think that letting your emotions dictate your thinking will lead you to more rational thought when it's literally the other way around.
    I love when you gun nuts run out of logical arguments and are forced to project your own emotional issues with this topic onto those of us who are looking for real solutions. It's adorable.

And yet the ratification of the Constitution was only made possible by the promise of adding the Bill of Rights, including the 2nd Amendment, to the Constitution. And you're also ignoring the fact that subsequent Amendments have only expanded rights instead of restricting them, with the notable exception of the 18th Amendment, later repealed in the 21st.
    Just like slavery was ok then it wasn't - we can change the constitution according to the times we live in. Also, love your lies - not all Amendments have expanded rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love when you gun nuts run out of logical arguments and are forced to project your own emotional issues with this topic onto those of us who are looking for real solutions. It's adorable.
    You're literally suggesting that a heightened, more viscerally emotional impact will somehow lead to more rational thought. That, and your strictly ad hominem comments, call into serious question your understanding of the word "logic".

Just like slavery was ok then it wasn't - we can change the constitution according to the times we live in.
    Slavery may have been once legal, but it was never okay. And again, Amendments have succeeded when they expand rights instead of restricting them.

Also, love your lies - not all Amendments have expanded rights.
    Read better. I didn't say that all Amendments expand rights. I said that the subsequent Amendments (as a whole) have expanded rights rather than restricting them, with the one (quickly repealed) exception. There are individual Amendments that don't touch on rights at all, but my statement was correct.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    You're literally suggesting that a heightened, more viscerally emotional impact will somehow lead to more rational thought. That, and your strictly ad hominem comments, call into serious question your understanding of the word "logic".
    It's like you're answering yourself. You're making all the emotional pleas and and the ad hominem comments (or you don't know what those mean). The position I put forth has sound logic with empirical data. Something you have yet to ask or comment on (see above re ad hominems).

Slavery may have been once legal, but it was never okay. And again, Amendments have succeeded when they expand rights instead of restricting them.
    It was legal, then it wasn't - because times changed. You're again going back to emotional arguments.

Read better.
    Lol more ad hominem attacks. You have become what you claim to hate.

I didn't say that all Amendments expand rights. I said that the subsequent Amendments (as a whole) have expanded rights rather than restricting them, with the one (quickly repealed) exception. There are individual Amendments that don't touch on rights at all, but my statement was correct.
    Your statement was incorrect. Some subsequent amendments have restricted rights of individuals. If you're ignorant of the subjects you wish to discuss, that's on you, not me.

But now that we've gotten through all of your emotional and ad hominem attacks, can we get back to the logical notion that less guns equals less gun violence? That's where I've been the entire time.

Wouldn't it be amazing if your Dear Leader actually took the real immigration issues seriously instead of making up crisis to "solve"?

- - - Updated - - -

Awwwww, look at you trying to bait me. Adorable. Let me know when you're ready to have a serious conversation that involves the highly complicated topic of having more guns equates with more gun violence. Until then, enjoy your fishing.
    Well otherwise nothing will change that's why I am asking. There are what 300 million guns in America?

10+ Year Old Account
    Now this is a example of how you should not use your right to carry a firearm for self defense......https://www.foxnews.com/us/nebraska-...ifting-suspect

A Nebraska woman was arrested and charged with first-degree assault Friday after police say she shot a fleeing shoplifting suspect in the arm earlier this month.

Investigators say Shelby Jones, 38, was shopping at a convenience store early on Aug. 1 when Tilian Tilian, 22, allegedly tried to shoplift two bottles of liquor.

Police Chief Jeff Bliemeister said the store's clerk tried to restrain Tilian and the two got into an altercation.

Bliemeister added that Jones saw the altercation, drew her handgun and positioned herself between Tilian and the exit.

“During the physical altercation, Tilian broke free and ran past Jones, exiting the store,” Bliemeister said.

You never shoot a fleeing criminal, even in your own home. Once they are running away, they are no longer a immediate threat to your life.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-08-30 at 11:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Multiple people injured by roaming shooter in Odessa, Texas, police say

https://ktiv.com/2019/08/31/breaking...as-police-say/

MIDLAND, Texas (NBC NEWS)- Multiple people have been struck by a shooter who hijacked a U.S. mail truck and is roaming the streets of Odessa, Texas, police said Saturday afternoon.
    Odessa police said on Facebook, “A subject (possibly 2) is currently driving around Odessa shooting at random people.
    At this time there are multiple gunshot victims.
    The suspect just hijacked a U.S. mail carrier truck and was last seen in the area of 38th and Walnut.”
    Police urged the public to get off the road “and use extreme caution.”
    “All law enforcement is currently searching for the suspect and more information will be released as soon as it becomes available,” the statement said.
    sigh

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    sigh
    Pretty much sums it up at this point. It's so, SO terribly sad that all I can muster at this point is "...oh...again?"

:/ ....

Let's throw the couple usual lines out of the way then:

Thoughts and prayers
    Nothing can be done
    Statistically irrelevant
    Muh freedoms

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Pretty much sums it up at this point. It's so, SO terribly sad that all I can muster at this point is "...oh...again?"
    considering where this is, Id put money on some oil field worker that just got fired. The turn over out there is harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    considering where this is, Id put money on some oil field worker that just got fired. The turn over out there is harsh.
    well unfortunately the odds are a white right wing supporter...…angry at immigrants...liburals and Clinton.

oil worker who got fired is running about 45-1

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    well unfortunately the odds are a white right wing supporter...…angry at immigrants...liburals and Clinton.

oil worker who got fired is running about 45-1
    I'd rather not immediately devolve this thread into a politics argument by throwing those kinda accusations around.

As absolutely shitty as it is to say this: Random shooters have been around a lot longer then the past couple of years. I'm open to being wrong, but I don't even know if there's a 'better' option here.