Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    No. Guns are an equalizer; plain and simple. A world without guns is one in which the weak become prey to the strong.
    Soo...basically like now, but with less stray bullets and a chance to outrun whoever's after you? Sounds good.

Absolutely... she would ignore the knife and simply out-run the guy.
    When she is trapped in her apartment? Doubt it.

Though being 90lbs means she's more dexterous, and can land a vital blow much easier with a knife than a heavier gun with a powerful kickback.
    You have a 200+lbs guy carrying a pipe and/or a knife busting through your house... you have no training in hand to hand combat and you expect to outmatch him? Most people in that situation would cower and surrender because they don't want to die. The reason the guy can pound into someones house without a care is because he knows not many people can't fight at his strength so he is willing to break into homes. Put the fear of death of ever attempting it and people avoid it.
    Last edited by Roelath; 2013-02-03 at 06:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Yeah - the 90lb terrorist with an explosive strapped to them will take out hundreds of your "great equalized" strapping 200lb men...

"equalizer" my ass... and you damn well know it's not. :P
    Pretty sure you're not going to encounter people with bombs here in the states.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Like I said before, someone defending themselves is less likely to have extra loaded magazines compared to someone that is preparing to commit a mass shooting. The regular criminal would of course just be using a gun as a threat in most cases and not need extras.

So you're restricting the capability of millions of normal users because of 1-2 mass shootings a year, ignoring the fact that mass shootings occurred during the AWB of 94-04 anyway. So what is the purpose of the law?

More criminals have been released due to the protection vs illegal search and seizure than crimes have been aided by more than 10 rounds. How many criminals were allowed to walk free because of the fifth's protections against self-incrimination? How many witnesses have been removed and the criminal couldn't "face his accuser"?

Not that they haven't come out with some restrictions on those rights, the rulings on Eminent Domain are just stupid, IMO, but it's the "we need to do something to help the victims!" line that just rings false to me.
    You just proved my point. How many bullets do you need to take out ONE mass shooter. You don't need as many as he has. One clip would be enough to take out one guy. Be it 10-15 rounds, if you know how to use a gun you can take him out. Unless he's using body armour, then you might as well run.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/...d-States/Crime

The reason the UK has more assault crimes than the US is that the UK classifies some crimes as assault that the US doesn't.
    Is there a difference in rape too? UK has a higher rape % than the USA. Also even if they had the same laws as the USA in terms of assaults you'd still see UK being around or higher than the USA in terms of crimes per person. Even though they don't deal with Cartel/Gang activity like the USA has too.

Don't underestimate a little woman. It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it. That big 200 man makes for a bigger target than the woman does.
    Yes... an untrained woman who is frightened by a guy who can man handle her is going to win the fight. Because we all know that 100% of the female population trains in hand to hand combat and every man out there doesn't.

I do to, and I agree with firearms being better protection. I just like the idea of everyone having knives instead of guns. I wouldn't force anyone to do that, it just sounds better to me.
    Probably because you see the skill in using knives over guns but, if you're untrained in hand to hand combat simply having a knife in fight that involves 2 or more against you and you're most likely going to die.

You are right about that. But like I said with guns, if your not trained to use a knife, don't be surprised if you lose even while using one.
    Instant death at a distance from a gun is far scarier than a blade wielding woman when you could be carrying a baseball bat covered in nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Think of it this way: 3 people break into your house. They're stronger than you. What do you do?
    Easy... do what our ancestors historically have done - outsmart your enemies! ^_^

First off - they even have to break in. I'm on the 5th floor of a Condo building with security cameras, double-locked doors, an elevator and 2 fire escapes + my dead bolted door. Not to mention I have a rope ladder for my balcony in case of emergencies.

Secondly, I have many large closets (six in total) where I could hide.

Third, it's a condo - no spacious rooms and lots of corners and hiding places. My Louisville Slugger and/or wakizashi blade will be far more effective than their gun in this setting...

There's an old saying I love: Trust in God, but lock your car.

You don't need a gun to lock your car. :P

EDIT: Here's another fun old saying from Gallagher: We're not descended from the men who were eaten by the Dinosaurs, we're descended from the itty-bitty quick F#&@kers who got back to the cave! :P
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-02-03 at 06:31 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    What are you talking about, you can encounter people with bombs everywhere, it doesn't matter if its US or any other country. Idiots will always be idiots and with all honesty I think that pipe bombs are considered bombs which if I remember correctly those two guys from Columbine High School made and where thinking about using. People are people and stupidity goes along with people.

On the other note, I think they should evaluate every person that buys a guy and they should put more striker restrictions on getting a gun. I'm not saying, don't let people have guns, what I'm saying is let people who are smart and want to use for their protection not to show their kids how to use it show be allowed to have a gun. Plus like condoms nothing is 100% proof :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    You think that the main reason for the killings are malice rather than economics or mental health problems?
    No, but you also forgot to mention the drug war. Thats the main driver
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Soo...basically like now, but with less stray bullets and a chance to outrun whoever's after you? Sounds good.
    I've lived in the city and I know exactly how it feels to be at odds with gangs that are merely trying to rob/hurt you. I had to defend myself constantly because I never joined one and I was constantly beat up. Even when I carried metal polls (Yes I carried two or more at a time) and I even rode a bike to outrun them. When it finally came down to it they're going to eventually catch you and when they do they will hurt you a lot. I'm just lucky that I learned very quick in how to defend myself that they preyed on weaker targets as I grew older.

....huh!? o_O

Timothy McVeigh, the Unibomber, the mafia that plants car-bombs and countless others are laughing at this very minute at your ignorance.

It's actually easier to manufacture a bomb in your home than a gun. People don't often use them because they don't need to - they can use a gun instead. Greater chance of surviving. Give everybody a gun and they'll simply look into what can counter a gun... and a bomb is one of those very things.

Yeah - the 90lb terrorist with an explosive strapped to them will take out hundreds of your "great equalized" strapping 200lb men...

"equalizer" my ass... and you damn well know it's not. :P
    Is that even an argument? An equalizer suggests that everyone can compete at the same level... A bullet that can pierce everyone's flesh is definitely an equalizer. A tool that can be used in nearly every hand is an equalizer. A tool which requires little knowledge and/or training to use is an equalizer.

10+ Year Old Account
    But they're not packing guns. And you're outnumbered. If you hide they could still find you. I'll grant you your means of escape, that could work. As for you bat and your blade, I wouldn't bet on one melee going against three, even if they were using pistols. Knife to a gunfight.

But, the venue of attack is important, and I think it's important to take into consideration all cases. While you may have better odds in a building with security cameras, others may not be in the same position.

....huh!? o_O
    Timothy McVeigh, the Unibomber, the mafia that plants car-bombs and countless others are laughing at this very minute at your ignorance.

It's actually easier to manufacture a bomb in your home than a gun. People don't often use them because they don't need to - they can use a gun instead. Greater chance of surviving. Give everybody a gun and they'll simply look into what can counter a gun... and a bomb is one of those very things.

If you're going to resort to insults I'm not going to bother taking you seriously. If you can show that explosives are as prolific as you say they are I would be willing to listen.

I'm also not advocating giving everybody a weapon. I'm saying that shouldn't be withdrawn from the possible methods of defense. Given the rate of gun proliferation here in the states, don't you think there would be more explosives used?
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2013-02-03 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roelath View Post
    Instant death at a distance from a gun is far scarier than a blade wielding woman when you could be carrying a baseball bat covered in nails.
    Where did that come from? We were talking about knives and you bring out some Mad Max stuff. How could you get away with walking around with a baseball bat with nails coming out of it? Not sure if there's a law against it or not, but it would catch the attention of alot of people. But it is still possible to beat someone that is using a baseball bat with nails in it. I would probably die, but it's still possible. XD

I fear there is no good solution for gun control in the US. It seems to me that the US have a heavy gun culture, and thus owning a firearm is considered more normal.

But, I see no harm in doing detailed background checks and taking other measures to ensure what kind of person who is allowed to own a firearm.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Where did that come from? We were talking about knives and you bring out some Mad Max stuff. How could you get away with walking around with a baseball bat with nails coming out of it? Not sure if there's a law against it or not, but it would catch the attention of alot of people. But it is still possible to beat someone that is using a baseball bat with nails in it. I would probably die, but it's still possible. XD
    Because criminals don't give a damn... They're will to improvise with anything that's around them. Law abiding citizens who are only allowed to carry knives on themselves would be at a great disadvantage.

There is a possibility you, he or the both of you could die... Wouldn't it be better if you had a firearm, knew the layout of your area which allowed you to defensively hold a position and then proceed to not die? There are plenty of chances of dying in every scenario but, you have a greater advantage carrying a pistol because gangs do not send one man at a time. I know from personal experience... I felt like Jackie Chan at times hopping over barbed wire fences, jumping through bushes and running through traffic to avoid being beat up. Police will show up moments after they've given up or caught up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    No, but you also forgot to mention the drug war. Thats the main driver
    In what way? Its not like we aren't combating drugs here...

Quote Originally Posted by naturestorm View Post
    Comparing a 21th century long time democracy to a facist regime under world war conditions is beyong retarded. Same goes to your statement that "owning a gun saves US from tyranny". Would suggest to go get yourself checked, your 2nd amendment no longer viable and the more you fail to understand that the more you will shift the problem on "gun control" dabate it as much as you can and accomplish nothing.

But was a nice try and yes America is immune from tyranny, because of the system in place, it does not function and could not function under one ruler, one party and oppress manner.

Rights are in place according to the human condition and needs to live and add on top of that democratic values as freedom of speech or religion but the "right to bear arms" is so far from any of this that still begs the question "how the fuck can you still have it there?"
    Uhhhh... actually I was pointing out that Germany's Weimar Republic was a Constitutional government very much like ours. Hitler was democratically elected to power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roelath View Post
    Because criminals don't give a damn... They're will to improvise with anything that's around them. Law abiding citizens who are only allowed to carry knives on themselves would be at a great disadvantage.

There is a possibility you, he or the both of you could die... Wouldn't it be better if you had a firearm, knew the layout of your area which allowed you to defensively hold a position and then proceed to not die? There are plenty of chances of dying in every scenario but, you have a greater advantage carrying a pistol because gangs do not send one man at a time. I know from personal experience... I felt like Jackie Chan at times hopping over barbed wire fences, jumping through bushes and running through traffic to avoid being beat up. Police will show up moments after they've given up or caught up to you.
    Ok, you just threw me off for a second. I agree with conceal and carry pistols. A pistol is the proper tool to defend yourself in that situation.

Can I ask where you grew up at? And why didn't you carry if your life was in danger so often?

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    So you're anti-gun too eh?

Aren't you in Canada? Where that Nunavut dude with an illegal magazine took out 5 guys who broke into his home to kill him?

I love the irony of a "Call of Duty" add above this thread.

People who support a ban are neglecting some things...reality included.

1. Both Obama and Biden have said that this ban would most likely NOT have stopped Sandy Hook.
    2. We had an Assault Weapons ban that lasted ten years. The FBI has since acknowledge that it was largely ineffective.
    3. There were two school shootings during the last ban. Pearl High School and Columbine High School. A total of 17 people were killed and 28 injured. The Pearl High School shooting ended when the Asst. Principal retrieved a .45 he had in his trunk.
    4. More people die each year from tobacco (529k), medical errors (195k), and alcohol abuse (107k) then from firearm homicides (11k). In fact more people die from unintentional falls (24k). (Source: http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/20...ers-in-the-us/ Center for Disease Control)
    5. Irony. Shotguns, which have been promoted by Biden for "home defense," were used in the Columbine school shooting.

So if the ban won't stop these mass-shootings (and Obama and Biden say they wont), and I'm more likely to die from a doctor visit paid for by Obama-care, why again are we banning any guns?