Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    Hell if I know? Maybe they count multiple offenses as one report? Stab 4 people, get arrested and noted as one crime? Maybe they eliminate gang related deaths as a crime? I know the FBI had a report awhile about 11k fatalities from shootings, 6k where gang related? Gangs at war maybe not counting? I didn't do the methodology, EU commission did on that one.
    I understand that, but I've been unable to find their Methodology, and it seems off to me. So either I'm missing something or their methodology was different (which would lead to different results) than what we can use to talk about violence between nations.

There is literally no way your link is a comparison of total violent crimes between nations. It might be already controlled for population.

from http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/off...ime/index.html
    In 2009, an estimated 1,318,398 violent crimes occurred nationwide,
    I wonder if your source is listing crimes reported by EU citizens in the US?
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-12-18 at 08:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Ofcourse there isn't
    So, then, what good is banning something that doesn't exist going to do?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I understand that, but I've been unable to find their Methodology, and it seems off to me. So either I'm missing something or their methodology was different (which would lead to different results) than what we can use to talk about violence between nations.
    http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/sta...ogy.2FMetadata

10+ Year Old Account
    More people die yearly to hand guns and hunting type weapons than assault guns...but one incident happens, and people pull out the torches and pitchforks? WTB new country to live in, PST!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    So, then, what good is banning something that doesn't exist going to do?
    Do you really want to bother going into the technical details of this?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Also -> http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/off...ible_rape.html

There is literally no way your link is a comparison of total violent crimes between nations. It might be already controlled for population.

Edit -> from the same source (http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/off...ime/index.html)
    Been trying to find a better list for violent crime, but only thing that keeps coming up is.

Don't trust them, but I know US is ~440 per 100k on "violent crime"; rape/assault/homicide (murder,manslaughter)/burglary/robbery
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    More people die yearly to hand guns and hunting type weapons than assault guns...but one incident happens, and people pull out the torches and pitchforks? WTB new country to live in, PST!
    There are a ton of them. No one is forcing you to remain an US citizen.

Columbine happened when the first AWB was in place. All this will be is a feel-good law that does nothing, just like the first one.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a ton of them. No one is forcing you to remain an US citizen.
    Dear god obdigore, it's millions the 11,434 is (1,000). So 11,634,000, etc. Damnit that shit needs to be noted better, had to open the Excel file.

Edit: I guess "Crimes recorded by the police, 1999-2009 (1 000)" denotes it but, damn that is annoying.
    Last edited by Todgruppe; 2012-12-18 at 09:24 AM.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Do you really want to bother going into the technical details of this?
    You're suggesting we ban something that doesn't exist. Why?
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Been trying to find a better list for violent crime, but only thing that keeps coming up is.

Don't trust them, but I know US is ~440 per 100k on "violent crime"; rape/assault/homicide (murder,manslaughter)/burglary/robbery
    what is this list, this looks like a joke, austria ranks 2nd place? like one of 63 residents in austria is accused of one of the above crimes? damn, our newspapers suck
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Obdigore, using a site like the DailyKos to support an argument would be like citing Fox News or Huffington Post. They have a clear agenda, so you can't really assume the information they're presenting hasn't been spin doctored to ensure it furthers their agenda.

At best, you just use the site to find links to their sources, which will hopefully be more legitimate.
    Almost all news sources have an agenda and play to it.

Deleted

number 1 for violent crimes, but 13th in europe for murders, Because its near impossible to get a gun - ban guns the image proves the what the left says - if you ban guns less people will get killed
    the republicans always say its the people and not the weapons that kill, yet the UK is the most violent country in europe and is rated 13th in homicide - obviously violent people wont kill each other as much if guns are outlawed

Dear god obdigore, it's millions the 11,434 is (1,000). So 11,634,000, etc. Damnit that shit needs to be noted better, had to open the Excel file.

Edit: I guess "Crimes recorded by the police, 1999-2009 (1 000)" denotes it but, damn that is annoying.
    Hurrr Durr, my fault. I should have realized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Doesn't mean we should make it easier for them to obtain tools. In most cases of mass killings, the weapon was obtained legally.
    Actually the cases where weapons were obtained legally are far in the minority, seeing that the authors of these tragic events are often underage. I think only a small handful have been over the age of 21 and an even smaller handful of those have actually used legally purchased weapons.

I don't support an outright ban on assault weapons, but I do definitely think they need to add anti-depressants to the list of medications that will prohibit somebody from owning a firearm. Seratonin inhibiting drugs like Luvox or what-have-you are a common thread in these attacks.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2012-12-18 at 09:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    uhhhhhh wtf? they do realize that any full-auto weapon is against the law to own AND any magazine that holds over 30 rounds is too right? how can you ban something that is already against the law to own?
    Oh look, you've drank the NRA kool-aid.

Semi-auto rifles are deadlier than full-auto. 30 round magazines are far too big.

If Lanza had to make due with a 5-round revolver, or even a shotgun, he would have killed far fewer people.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 10:09 AM ----------

You're suggesting we ban something that doesn't exist. Why?
    The Bushmaster civilian AR-15 most certainly exists. It's an assault weapon by any sane definition of the word. You don't need 30 round banana clips for hunting. You don't need 30 round banana clips for home defense. You need one to kill lots of people without pausing to reload too often.

Of course, NRA gun fetishists like to pretend nothing more than a full-auto is an "assault" weapon, when in reality that's a completely unilateral definition only used by them.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I am not from US, by why wouldn't anyone support it? Like he said you don't use assault weapons to hunt deer or any other animals for that matter.
    Pretty much my opinion, I have no idea why America is against tight gun control, hell, I'd be appalled if they made guns legal in any form in my country.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Almost all news sources have an agenda and play to it.
    I didn't mean to imply they didn't. The media as a whole makes their money by retailing fear to their listeners and readers.

I'm just pointing out that you can't take articles from a very clearly biased source (like Fox or HuffPo, who very, very clearly lean in one direction) and expect them to be feeding you anything resembling the truth.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 04:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    Oh look, you've drank the NRA kool-aid.

Semi-auto rifles are deadlier than full-auto. 30 round magazines are far too big.

If Lanza had to make due with a 5-round revolver, or even a shotgun, he would have killed far fewer people.
    And he could've made an AnFo IED or even some fucking homemade napalm and killed probably three or four times as many people. Are you suggesting we should now ban MiracleGro and styrofoam?

The Bushmaster civilian AR-15 most certainly exists. It's an assault weapon by any sane definition of the word.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon

Even Wikipedia doesn't have a firm definition of exactly what "assault weapon," means. It can mean a gun, it can mean a grenade launcher, or even a fucking rocket launcher.

This is the problem with this bill and the people supporting it. They're so up in arms about this, they aren't actually paying attention to how vague and non-specific the wording of the bill is. This is, incidentally, the same reason SOPA (remember that bill?) was laughed at by everyone who had any clue about what the bill was dealing with.

You don't need 30 round banana clips for hunting. You don't need 30 round banana clips for home defense. You need one to kill lots of people without pausing to reload too often.

Of course, NRA gun fetishists like to pretend nothing more than a full-auto is an "assault" weapon, when in reality that's a completely unilateral definition only used by them.
    [Citation Needed]

Ironically, within 5 years any kind of ban on the purchase of firearms in the US won't matter with the advent of 3d printers. The group working on it (no, I'm not going to link to them as I don't like what they are doing) already printed one out that was able to fire 6 rounds off before fracturing.

Just think, printable weapons with no serial numbers and no record of any kind of sale. Huzzah?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ironically, within 5 years any kind of ban on the purchase of firearms in the US won't matter with the advent of 3d printers. The group working on it (no, I'm not going to link to them as I don't like what they are doing) already printed one out that was able to fire 6 rounds off before fracturing.

Just think, printable weapons with no serial numbers and no record of any kind of sale. Huzzah?
    Well, not to mention that gun manufacturers would simply alter their designs until they're just this side of legal anyway.

All these people focusing on the guns are missing the point, anyway.