Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    And, sorry, Australia proves that Gun Control makes a TON of difference... TON of difference in saving lives. Yes, it doesn't prevent all crime... but homicide rates via guns dropped over 60% all over the country for over 20 years... That's the most amazing statistic I've ever seen compared to any individual state that allows carry/conceal in the USA that can offer up in regards to gun homicides and death.
    Uh. Hi. Maybe you've missed the time when I posted this?:

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The firearm homicide rate is down 56% in the last 20 years.

So if Australia (with a massive, mandatory buy-back program) seeing a drop of 60% in firearm homicides over the last 20 years is the "most amazing statistic" you've seen, then how about the US seeing a 56% drop in firearm homicides over the same timeframe?

---------- Post added 2013-05-18 at 02:49 PM ----------

Now, you got a dead guard - and a gunman with 2 guns and extra ammo. Congratulations. Brilliant job...
    Well, shit. Now you're positing not just a hypothetical situation, but the hypothetical end result of a hypothetical situation.

This is far worse than anecdotal evidence; it's hypothetical anecdotal evidence.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    You act like the guard would be brain dead.
    VA Tech had armed guards/security if I'm not mistaken?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    I'm referring more to the idea that kids would be able to easily steal the gun. Police officers I've talked to at school seem to be with it enough to that they would be able to prevent somebody from taking their gun.

I'm sure they had guards on campus somewhere, plus the police arrived at the first set of shootings and were probably still nearby when the next shootings ocurred. He killed himself, so the guards were basically neutral/no effect, along with the police.

They certainly didn't make anything worse.

His mental disabilities were detected, but ignored under the assumption of privacy laws, and the school didn't "lockdown" like most around here do.

Columbine had a security guard, who engaged the two shooters (missing them), driving them inside. The impact is all hypothetical, obviously. Quite possibly he helped save the injured folks outside, as the shooters did not have time to finish them off, but who can say. Assumedly they would have gone inside either way at some point and that would have unfolded similarly to how it happened anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know If this was posted but it shows you how stupid most criminals are

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

It's a good thing we live in a democratic republic where public opinion does matter, and not in a dictatorship where the minority can indefinitely oppose the will of the majority.

Also, Obamacare being popular has absolutely what to do with background checks? Disconnect and failure of logic.
    Correction, we live in a Constitutional Republic. You are aware that Democracies and Republics are near polar opposites, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    If more concealed guns were allowed, wouldn't would-be fist fights/bar fights turn into gun fights?
    No, people are nicer to each other in general because of it.

...and you cannot see how that would lead to MORE gun violence in schools? Seriously? 2 school kids could nab that gun from your armed guard...

And, sorry, Australia proves that Gun Control makes a TON of difference... TON of difference in saving lives. Yes, it doesn't prevent all crime... but homicide rates via guns dropped over 60% all over the country for over 20 years... That's the most amazing statistic I've ever seen compared to any individual state that allows carry/conceal in the USA that can offer up in regards to gun homicides and death.
    OK, for starters, outright bans do not remove all guns. Pandora's box was opened on firearms centuries ago, and making a gun in a garage is child's play.

Many LEOs take security jobs on their off days, these wouldn't be idiots with guns.

And, sorry, Australia had a large drop in gun homicides while overall their total homicides didn't drop as much as ours as a percentage. Considering gun ownership and gun sales are at record levels, the correlation that gun bans lower homicides doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I'm 40 now. When I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL, 25+ years ago, we had police/ resource officers.
    Just curious where you went to school that had armed guards 25+ years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    South Florida has had Resource Officers for a long time, the only problem I ever heard of with them was one getting in trouble for sex with a student.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Don't know If this was posted but it shows you how stupid most criminals are

Snip
    Awesome story thanks for sharing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Correction, we live in a Constitutional Republic. You are aware that Democracies and Republics are near polar opposites, right?
    I stand corrected about the phrasing of the governmental system of the united states. That still doesn't change the fact that we have both features of a democracy and a republic. Just because a democracy and a republic exist on opposite ends of the political spectrum does not mean they are mutually exclusive. The public often votes on state laws, and we democratically elect representatives to serve the interests of the majority and the security of the state.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand corrected about the phrasing of the governmental system of the united states. That still doesn't change the fact that we have both features of a democracy and a republic. Just because a democracy and a republic exist on opposite ends of the political spectrum does not mean they are mutually exclusive. The public often votes on state laws, and we democratically elect representatives to serve the interests of the majority and the security of the state.
    Isn't the opposite argument used, that we can't use the will of the majority to neglect the minority, with marriage equality?

15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't the opposite argument used, that we can't use the will of the majority to neglect the minority, with marriage equality?
    I'll amend myself and say that the good of the people as a whole is also a factor. Issues like minority oppression and opposition to gay marriage obviously infringe on the rights of the minority for no public gain.

Extending background checks are attempting to approach reducing gun violence without infringing the rights of the people. Ignoring any kind of slippery slope argument, they really don't.

Putting guns around children is one of the last things I'd want to see happen, unless it was absolutely certain that there was a very tiny possibility that even human negligence would lead to incidents with stored guns on school grounds. And again, the funding issue is a huge one when the education budget is already hilariously small.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll find that I'm for background checks and improving education, so arguing that against me is rather pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    im 37, and my high school had an almost constant presence of a police officer. i grew up in california, not really in gang territory, but not terribly far either
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    im 37, and my high school had an almost constant presence of a police officer. i grew up in california, not really in gang territory, but not terribly far either
    Hell, I'm 20 and we had a police officer in my high school.

Hell, I'm 20 and we had a police officer in my high school.
    yeah, i expect the trend to expand. im just saying it isnt anything new. if i think about police presence in a school now for some reason i envision armed guard type of thing, when my experience it was quite different. we always had the same officer, and he chatted with people, and generally felt more like a liaison than some type of gestapo. i have nothing but positive memories of the man. imo if we expanded police presence in schools officer selection is crucial, and keeping a single person or very small group is a good thing. my bet is that officer, through gaining trust and familiarity with the students, probably had a very good pulse of the goings on in that school. my fear is asshats getting a say in personnel assignments and the presence can begin to be/feel oppressive to the students
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same. Both of the officers that were there during my time in high school were well-liked by just about everybody. I know this is anecdotal evidence, so take it as you will.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember feeling like a special snowflake in elementary school because both my grandfathers were county sheriffs at the time and they would both visit and scan my school 2 times a day. They made us feel secure and all of my friends respected my grandfathers as well as the other 2 officers that stayed at my school full time. They also taught me gun safety when I was around 9 (gun was unloaded obviously). I feel that living around police officers and learning about firearms at a young age taught me what true responsibility and safety meant.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

I went to school in small towns all my life, and we had at least one security guard in every school I went to. Sometimes we'd even have both school security and local police.

It has to be infinitely cheaper to have those kinds of resource officers present, than have to tear down your school and rebuild it just so you can open it and allow students to return after a massacre.

http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.co...ilding-school/

VA Tech is also a college campus, which tend to be much bigger and spread out compared to a high school. A college campus is like a small town, and you would need a much bigger police/guard presence to stop (or even hinder) something like the VA Tech shooting.

It's pretty unfair to assume that a school would hire a doofus with a gun to keep children safe.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I remember feeling like a special snowflake in elementary school because both my grandfathers were county sheriffs at the time and they would both visit and scan my school 2 times a day. They made us feel secure and all of my friends respected my grandfathers as well as the other 2 officers that stayed at my school full time. They also taught me gun safety when I was around 9 (gun was unloaded obviously). I feel that living around police officers and learning about firearms at a young age taught me what true responsibility and safety meant.
    As I said, I'm 40, but folks of the previous generation to mine, back before South Florida was all developed, would bring guns to school so they could go plinking at cans afterwards. It was between the Prohibition Wars and the Drug Wars, and no one was worried.