Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Your pearl-clutching over the idea that someone could welcome a result that would drive the price of legally purchased firearms down. Highly regulated goods that are necessarily more expensive because of it, are more likely to find a black market.
    problem: Up to 70 percent of all crimes involving guns in Canada involve firearms purchased in the United States and smuggled into the country.
    solution: Make firearms cheaper!

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    problem: Up to 70 percent of all crimes involving guns in Canada involve firearms purchased in the United States and smuggled into the country.

duh
    You don't even need to make them cheaper by default. That will happen if you loosen up weapons restrictions in Canada so that law abiding citizens can get them with less hassle. I'm not sure what their official rules are on guns in Canada, but if people are having to smuggle guns in so they can have one to defend themselves, then obviously it's relatively strict.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

duh
    ... and more Canadians will buy them affordably and legally in Canada. Works on its face.

Deleted
    Take all the militant shitholes of the world and not one has more firearms per capita than you.

Not even ISIS needs that many weapons and they have to defend against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Take all the militant shitholes of the world and not one has more firearms per capita than you.

Not even ISIS needs that many weapons and they have to defend against you.
    Pity the poor ISIS?

And they multiply the price because restricting access is impossible.
    Wait, so you're telling me that there is a black market for illegal firearms?

It's almost like this is exactly what would happen if you created restrictions in the US. Unless people really think manufacturers are just going to close up shop or start making watches...
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post

It's almost like this is exactly what would happen if you created restrictions in the US. Unless people really think manufacturers are just going to close up shop or start making watches...
    You cant simply replace 70% of guns when they cost 2k $ in toronto alrdy -,-

Unless people really think manufacturers are just going to close up shop or start making watches...
    Close shop its a respectable industry they are no gangsters.

... and more Canadians will buy them affordably and legally in Canada. Works on its face.
    Or we could just like, implement tracking.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's almost like this is exactly what would happen if you created restrictions in the US.
    Restrictions do not necessarily promote a decrease in ownership.
    Eat yo vegetables

In most countries in Europe gun ownership is heavily regulated. And yes, there is such a thing as a black market. The thing about making a law though is you don't hope to stop every instance of a thing ever. You hope that your regulation makes a noticable impact. Otherwise things like traffic laws wouldn't exist. Yes. People are going to break your law.

So the question is what impact it would have on a macro level, and stating that some people might buy illegal guns is not an answer because that's a given. People buy illegal everything. But what does it do to overall gun violence? Does it have some unwarranted impact on political culture? Home safety? On a macro level, these are the questions.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    US stop being a burden to mexico and canada please.

like seriously

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    You don't even need to make them cheaper by default. That will happen if you loosen up weapons restrictions in Canada so that law abiding citizens can get them with less hassle. I'm not sure what their official rules are on guns in Canada, but if people are having to smuggle guns in so they can have one to defend themselves, then obviously it's relatively strict.
    it´s not 70% buy illegal guns. it´s 70% of crimes where guns were used included firearms importet from the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Restrictions do not necessarily promote a decrease in ownership.
    And yet, that's what you've been pitching.

US stop being a burden to mexico and canada please.

like seriously
    Maybe Canada needs to toughen it's regulations and firearm laws to prevent all those illegal sales and straw purchases.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet, that's what you've been pitching.
    Not really. I've been advocating for increased restriction and regulation. If that happens to result in decreased ownership, so be it. But that's not the endgame.
    Eat yo vegetables

Not really. I've been advocating for increased restriction and regulation. If that happens to result in decreased ownership, so be it. But that's not the endgame.
    The internet isn't big enough to contain the number of eye rolls needed here.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that people refuse to admit that that is the endgame for a lot of folks is just sad. It's been shown here, by several people, that that is what they would like to see. And if people honestly believe that certain politicians don't want guns gone completely then...well I don't know what then. Because it's plainly obvious that is what people want to happen.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any evidence or something other than conspiracy theories to back up your unfounded assumptions?

Oh you don't? That's cute.

I would have absolutely zero problems if ownership levels stayed at current levels, given everyone was background checked and licensed, their firearms were registered, stored safely, and the owners were properly trained.

Zero problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    The fact that people refuse to admit that that is the endgame for a lot of folks is just sad.
    For some people, perhaps. But not everyone. Certainly not the majority of gun control proponents.

Probably equal to the amount of individuals that want completely unrestricted firearm access for all individuals, regardless of criminal status.
    Eat yo vegetables

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't nearly as worrisome as the thousands of firearms that get trafficked into Mexico each year.

According to ATF data, a significant portion of firearms confiscated by Mexican authorities that could be traced have their origins traced back to the US. These firearms are used by cartels to fuel the drug war, among other things.

Imagine what would happen if we could significantly reduce the amount of firearms trafficked into Mexico. It would likely have a huge positive impact in America.
    Yet Mexico has very strict gun control laws. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yet Mexico has very strict gun control laws. :P
    And a completely dysfunctional government run by cartels.
    Eat yo vegetables

Do you have any evidence or something other than conspiracy theories to back up your unfounded assumptions?

Oh you don't? That's cute.
    It's called the last two plus years of anti-gun rhetoric you've been posting.

I would have absolutely zero problems if ownership levels stayed at current levels, given everyone was background checked and licensed, their firearms were registered, stored safely, and the owners were properly trained.

Zero problems.
    So, you really don't give two shits about firearm violence and crime, you just want to soothe yourself?

Canada has what you want, and 70% of their gun crime is committed with smuggled weapons. Oops.