Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    With roughly 20x the population and roughly 237x the land size which leads to a lot more cars driving a lot more for longer distances only being twice as likely to be involved in a fatal traffic accident makes it seem like you guys over there need to learn how to drive.
    The figures are "chance per 100.000".

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    And you are here not to have a serous discussion on the topic, but to troll? Come back when you make a comment which is related to the topic of the thread.
    The problem is you i'm afraid. You are to emotionally attached to this subject to see past your own feelings and stay rational son.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post

The problem is you i'm afraid. You are to emotionally attached to this subject to see past your own feelings and stay rational son.
    Statistics do not mean shit if you are a victim. For them, it is a 100% chance.

I am pretty emotional about being able to defend myself with a tool which can get the job done from a distance against a possibly much stronger or armed attacker. I think that is natural, kid.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Statistics do not mean shit if you are a victim. For them, it is a 100% chance.

I am pretty emotional about being able to defend myself with a tool which can get the job done from a distance against a possibly much stronger or armed attacker. I think that is natural, kid.
    All that energy shouldn't be invested into something "cosmetic" or "delusional" like owning a weapon to feel save. Real protection lies into building a society that is lawfully, morally and financially "save" for all inhabitants.

For example: i can send my 12 year old daughter to school on a bike across a very big city every working day of the week and feel save about it. Every day.
    If i see a deranged individual on the streets i can call the police and i know he/she will be taken care of (meaning psychiatric help and shelter/food/clothing and eventually a good place to live).
    The Trias-Politica is realy protected by law, national law and EU law. We and our ancestors fought hard for that.

We don't need guns to give a fake sense of security. We are realy secure junior.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    All that energy shouldn't be invested into something "cosmetic" or "delusional" like owning a weapon to feel save. Real protection lies into building a society that is lawfully, morally and financially "save" for all inhabitants.

For example: i can send my 12 year old daughter to school on a bike across a very big city every working day of the week and feel save about it. Every day.
    If i see a deranged individual on the streets i can call the police and i know he/she will be taken care of (meaning psychiatric help and shelter/food/clothing and eventually a good place to live).
    The Trias-Politica is realy protected by law, national law and EU law. We and our ancestors fought hard for that.

We don't need guns to give a fake sense of security. We are realy secure junior.
    We do not all live in such a community. It is nice you do. A firearm are not a fake sense of security. Freedoms have been won because of firearms being used. As you admitted yourself with the Trias-Politica and having to fight hard for it. And no one in any country is totally free from any attacks on them personally. I have yet to have a need to use my firearm in self defense and I hope I never do. But I know some who have. It is a matter of choice here in the US.

A kid to myself you are, since your daughter is only 12. hehe. My youngest son is a diplomat from the US, assigned to work out of the US Embassy in Paris.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-09-30 at 10:57 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-shotguns.html

California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a slew of gun control measures Friday, including one that raises the age requirement to purchase rifles and shotguns.

In a tightening of what many believe are the strictest gun laws in the nation, Senate Bill 1100 now requires all firearms purchasers to be at least 21, the Mercury News of San Jose reported.

Going to be interesting to see how this will be dealt with if a appeal is launched. How can any state, restrict a Constitutional right based on age, if the ages fall within being a legal adult? Also, if someone has ever been involuntary committed to a mental hospital has a life time ban from owning a firearm?

Are they effectively saying no one can ever be cured with mental treatment? If so, then they should not be allowed to exercise a lot of activities in society. Ever. And they can be helped if they voluntary commit themselves and then get a firearm later?
    Reminds me of people saying a blind person shouldn't be able to own a firearm.

Chance per 100,000 is meaningless in this case when it doesn't take into account things like distance and time traveled by the average person and number of cars on the road vs population(NL ~8mil cars/17mil pop - US ~250mil cars/323mil pop). We tend to drive a great deal more in America than most do in the EU. We don't have a lot of trains, and public transportation is pretty limited throughout the vast majority of the country so a lot of us drive.

Son, i know you're persistent but you're not convincing me. I have (+/-) 2x more chance of being in a fatal traffic accident in your country compared to mine and 10-20x more chance to be shot (to death or not).

Citation needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Chance per 100,000 is meaningless in this case when it doesn't take into account things like distance and time traveled by the average person and number of cars on the road vs population(NL ~8mil cars/17mil pop - US ~250mil cars/323mil pop). We tend to drive a great deal more in America than most do in the EU. We don't have a lot of trains, and public transportation is pretty limited throughout the vast majority of the country so a lot of us drive.
    Some excellent points and one they like to overlook. In some cases, on purpose. Another tactic is to throw in the worse of our gun crime cities into the stats, as if they apply to all areas of the US. Stay away from certain large cities here in the US and your chances for getting shot by a criminal are reduced significantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    A case of irresponsible gun owners not securing their firearms from minors and those who are not authorized to use them. This also happens with other dangerous tools. I am for certain, in favor of laws which can help prevent this type of tragic event by having more severe penalties for gun owners who do not secure their firearms from such individuals.

7+ Year Old Account
    Some excellent points and one they like to overlook. In some cases, on purpose. Another tactic is to throw in the worse of our gun crime cities into the stats, as if they apply to all areas of the US. Stay away from certain large cities here in the US and your chances for getting shot by a criminal are reduced significantly.

- - - Updated - - -

A case of irresponsible gun owners not securing their firearms from minors and those who are not authorized to use them. This also happens with other dangerous tools. I am for certain, in favor of laws which can help prevent this type of tragic event by having more severe penalties for gun owners who do not secure their firearms from such individuals.
    Oh yeah? Go educate your NRA brethren in Washington State then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Oh yeah? Go educate your NRA brethren in Washington State then.
    I am a supporter of the NRA, but not a spokesman for them. And it is up to the State of Washington legislation to make laws. If they can not pass them, it is because they do not feel a need.

Was this your point?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    I saw this article and had to share it here.

https://gazette.com/military/army-mi...5a0e767a4.html
    Wow!! That thing sounds awesome for the military! Sounds like it would be a lot of fun to shoot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    A kid to myself you are, since your daughter is only 12. hehe. My youngest son is a diplomat from the US, assigned to work out of the US Embassy in Paris.
    He's a chauffeur?
    You can't really dust for vomit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    He's a chauffeur?
    I do not think a chauffeur makes as much money as he does or has as much responsibility.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nessee-n915791

Guess they tracked a shipment from Ruger (manufacturer) and stole it from the UPS facility. I'd think there'd be a lot easier things to steal from UPS than a bunch of guns.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

7+ Year Old Account
    Clearly the answer to this is more guns

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nessee-n915791

Guess they tracked a shipment from Ruger (manufacturer) and stole it from the UPS facility. I'd think there'd be a lot easier things to steal from UPS than a bunch of guns.
    Glad they found these before they got into the wrong hands.

Notice the article said.." Ruger caliber guns. " lol!!

Glad they found these before they got into the wrong hands.

Notice the article said.." Ruger caliber guns. " lol!!
    Thanks for the update, now I hope they can find out who else is involved, you know this had to be an inside job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that the Supreme Court has another pro second amendment advocate on the Court, this was a great victory for those who cherish the Second Amendment as the right for citizens to keep and carry firearms for self defense. My hope is, some more challenges will be made against some laws made by some states, which in my opinion, violates those. We are now in a position to get some of those overturned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Now that the Supreme Court has another pro second amendment advocate on the Court, this was a great victory for those who cherish the Second Amendment as the right for citizens to keep and carry firearms for self defense. My hope is, some more challenges will be made against some laws made by some states, which in my opinion, violates those. We are now in a position to get some of those overturned.
    Yep his confirmation is a big hit against the hoplophobes, assuming of course it was Kennedy, not Roberts who was the justice failing to respect the 2nd.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.