Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best UI addons for beginners?

Hello MMO-Champions!
    As a beginner at Addons, I were wondering what you would recommend getting for a more "special" UI, to make the game a little more fresh?
    Thanks!

Unitframes and bar addon, like Shadowed Unit Frames and Dominos.

^^ This ^^

Without a doubt Shadowed is the simplest unitframes addon to fiddle around with and give you plenty of options without being as overwhelming as Pitbull, Stuf or oUF.

Dominos is great for bars and less confusing than Bartender, thought you might want to give both a try.

Also worth going for something like ElvUI to get a feel for one of the prepackaged options.

Welcome to the forums!

Great! I took a look at Shadowed, and it looks great, thanks!

Deleted
    Raven is really good to monitor cooldowns and procs.

Deleted
    Shadowed Unit Frames and Dominos if you do not have any skills in lua or any language, otherwise I will recommend tukui (if you have fun to do some code, take this!)

you should give elvui a try. its pretty easy to install and setup. And there are tons of options to customize it.

I try to keep everything mostly standard but slightly enhanced. I never use a mod that totally changes everything (like a complete UI replacement).
    Also I tend to prefer lightweight mods over big ones.

The most important mods I currently use are:

- AuctionLite or Auctionator (I'm currently testing Auctionator, but I've used AuctionLite for a long time before)
    - Bagnon (all-in-one inventory plus bank, and it shows in item tooltips if you have an item already or not)
    - Vuhdo + Clique (as a healer only, this is for click-casting or how you call it directly on your raid frames)
    - Castbars (simple cast bar replacement)
    - Deadly Boss Mods (the standard mod for every raider)
    - Dominos + tullaRange (simple action bar replacement)
    - OmniCC (cooldown seconds on buttons)
    - Skada (damage meter)
    - Tidy Plates (health bar replacement, also shows (de)buffs)
    - TipTop (small enhancement for the standard tooltip)
    - WeakAuras (for displaying several buffs or spell procs directly on screen as nice symbols or text)

The most complicated addon out of these is probably Vuhdo because it takes quite a while to get a hang of it and configure it exactly how you want it (you can do pretty much everything with this addon), but this is only a concern for healers who need to tweak their raid frames -- when I play a DPS twink I use the standard Blizzard raid frames.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    I try to keep everything mostly standard but slightly enhanced. I never use a mod that totally changes everything (like a complete UI replacement).
    Also I tend to prefer lightweight mods over big ones.

The most important mods I currently use are:
    - Vuhdo + Clique (as a healer only, this is for click-casting or how you call it directly on your raid frames)

The most complicated addon out of these is probably Vuhdo because it takes quite a while to get a hang of it and configure it exactly how you want it (you can do pretty much everything with this addon), but this is only a concern for healers who need to tweak their raid frames -- when I play a DPS twink I use the standard Blizzard raid frames.
    You DO realize that if you're using Vuhdo, you don't need to use Clique? Vuhdo has a click-casting system (like Clique's) built into it's base functionality.

Deleted
    dominos and pitbull 4

Quote Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
    You DO realize that if you're using Vuhdo, you don't need to use Clique? Vuhdo has a click-casting system (like Clique's) built into it's base functionality.
    I know, I've tried it, but then it's restricted to Vuhdo's own window, I wanted something that works everywhere. Or something like that, can't remember exactly but there was some reason I use Clique in addition.

One word: ElvUI !!!

Deleted
    Don't listen to the people suggesting ElvUI, while it's an impressive suite it's not what you call customizable.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    I know, I've tried it, but then it's restricted to Vuhdo's own window, I wanted something that works everywhere. Or something like that, can't remember exactly but there was some reason I use Clique in addition.
    I realized that after I'd posted it. If you do use both, make sure you either turn off Vuhdo's click casting, or go into Clique's options and deselect all the Vuhdo frames.

a few addons that not really tweak the look of your UI but add a lot to gameplay.

-selljunk
    -addon control panel
    -safeqeue
    -weakauras or powerauras
    -omnicc

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfoundead View Post
    Don't listen to the people suggesting ElvUI, while it's an impressive suite it's not what you call customizable.
    http://s.cdn.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw58895.jpg (Shinodai) ElvUI + a couple addons

http://s.cdn.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw58834.png (Skullflower) ElvUI + a couple addons

http://s.cdn.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw56677.jpg (Affinity) ElvUI + a couple addons

http://i.imgur.com/P207i.jpg (Pixil's) ElvUI + idk

I'd say it's pretty customizable.

Deleted
    ElvUI seems a good start

Deleted
    ElvUI and TellMeWhen imho.

Deleted
    Bartender, Shadowed unit frames, AzCastbar and MikScrollingBattleText are must haves.

I'd say just get individual addons and change things bit by bit. Action bars, Unit frames, etc.

But if you want to experiment make sure you save your interface and WTF folders before making big changes so you can revert back easily if you don't like something.

This is how my UI looks .. maybe I've made some changes since launch of MoP, but nothing major.

http://imageshack.us/a/img515/8322/w...2612212654.jpg

Its all made up with individual addons.

Bartender4 - action bars
    oUF with oUF_drk layout - unitframes (not the most friendly unitframe addon though)
    TidyPlates - nameplates
    TipTac - tooltip
    Autobar - for general pot/food/stone/prof and class spells bar
    Grid with various plugins for party/raid frame
    MSBT - combat text
    kgPanels for the black panels
    Bazooka with various broker plugins for the bar on top of the screen with location, gold , calendar, durability, etc
    Masque for skinning buttons/buffs, etc.
    Tellmewhen for tracking stuff - i've recently switched to Weakauras on some chars.

and many others.

The best tip is to install Curse client in case you haven't done it already. Makes installing/unistalling/updating addons a lot easier.