Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakkí View Post
    Orly?

I'm holding my own - occasionally even topping - on every heroic encounter in the tier so far.
    Not even going to consider Fury unless I can get my hands on 2x Kilrak / Kilrak + Elegion to play SMF.
    TG feels way too clunky at least as it is right now and doesn't necessarily even perform as well as desired.
    Yeah have the same problem. I only want to play SMF, but no 1handed weapons. Im also doing fine in heroic raids getting top ranks with arms in WoL, but I dont top the meters in my raid since Im raiding with good players actually who know how to play their classes. You cant outdamage a good fire mage affliction warlock etc. when they have the same gear and skill as you have as arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by broggernaut View Post
    I glanced through some of your logs.

I'm not trying to be mean, or purposefully argumentative, but people need to understand that "viable" has become vernacular in the raiding community for "competitive".

The only reasons Arms is competitive right now (with the exception of a couple fights) are: 1. The Arms player significantly out-gears the majority of the DPS and 2. The other DPS in the raid are playing sub-par specs as well or not playing an optimal spec as well as they should be.

There will always be outliers on the charts because Arms is nearly 100% RNG--overall though, Arms will generally under-perform either Fury spec by a fair margin.
    You were right until you said arms is "almost 100% RNG". Arms is far less RNG than fury, even when accounting for TfB and Sudden Death procs. Why? Because unlike fury, arms is a much smoother damage spread between abilities and throughout the fight. Meaning that if you don't get a TfB proc during a CS, you can use a slam+slam back into rotation which is far less detrimental to DPS than only having one RB during a CS is for fury. The high uptime of CS too means that its much easier to time when to dump rage through slam/buffed HS/unbuffed HS in order to make up for poor RNG. The one time RNG bites me in the ass is if I don't get a sudden death proc and/or OP procs right at the start of the fight, meaning my burst is under 200k. Otherwise, arms stays far more consistent than fury does, which means 1.) RNG is not as large a factor to overall damage done as compared to fury and 2.) The RNG has significantly high enough chances that, in all but extreme bad luck, it will average itself out in a fight.

^ ^ I took the time to check your rankings and GJ on the firsts.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    You were right until you said arms is "almost 100% RNG". Arms is far less RNG than fury, even when accounting for TfB and Sudden Death procs. Why? Because unlike fury, arms is a much smoother damage spread between abilities and throughout the fight. Meaning that if you don't get a TfB proc during a CS, you can use a slam+slam back into rotation which is far less detrimental to DPS than only having one RB during a CS is for fury. The high uptime of CS too means that its much easier to time when to dump rage through slam/buffed HS/unbuffed HS in order to make up for poor RNG. The one time RNG bites me in the ass is if I don't get a sudden death proc and/or OP procs right at the start of the fight, meaning my burst is under 200k. Otherwise, arms stays far more consistent than fury does, which means 1.) RNG is not as large a factor to overall damage done as compared to fury and 2.) The RNG has significantly high enough chances that, in all but extreme bad luck, it will average itself out in a fight.
    Lol... what?

I guess you missed the part where RNG completely decides your TFB stacks, Overpower continual procs, and CS uptime.

Right now you can get between 50-60% BT crit chance as fury, which is statistically less streaky than any of the Arms abilities.

Fury has some degree of synergy between its secondary stats and damage output and get-out-of-jail-free-cards to break bad RNG streaks. Arms does not--abilities either proc or they don't, you have no control over that.

I get that you like Arms, that's great, but let's not be purposefully obtuse when comparing the two specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguezor View Post
    Is TG really that bad compared to SMF?

And if SMF is that much better, would it be worth it to use the normal 1h sword from sha with Elegon LFR axe in offhand for example? Or should I stay TG/wait untill i can get a second normal 1 hander?
    Haven't really checked the forums with the holidays.

TG is stronger in AOE situations, this has been well documented. The issue then becomes not every fight has adds to AOE, or adds that require sustained AOE. In single-target situations SMF does a lot better....35% buff to all your damage is pretty nuts, and TG having "stronger" weapons with 2H vs. 1H does not compare at all. I feel TG has weaker Rage generation by far, as it gets a lot less normal attacks than SMF.

I did an LFR Terrace with a warrior that had 2 LFR Elegon axes vs. my Normal upgraded Shin'ka and LFR Starshatter....his iLvl below mines by about 10 or so, so by all respects I outgeared him by a fair margin. Despite that in every fight except Sha of Fear he did more damage than I did. That, IMO should never happen but the fact that it did and it does tells me that SMF is just really strong compared to the other specs, and that it needs some re-tuning. After that night I wanted to DE my Shin'ka and cursed myself at A.) taking it away from a DPS that can use it better and B.) feeling largely like I wasted DKP on it. (Now you can make all the derisive comments about how I suck or whatever but I feel like I know how to play the class and role pretty well...not the best but I can hold my own.)

All I can say is test it regarding that choice. I have a feeling the 1H combo will impress more overall....I am pulling more DPS with LFR Kilrak (ungemmed) and LFR Scimitar vs. Normal (gemmed, upgraded) Shin'ka and LFR Starshatter. Double LFR should lose for me, but it doesn't....I am not even in a strong position to win a 1H as our tanks will probably win the next couple that drop, but I don't even care right now. It's hard for me to justify using TG at all if I pull better numbers as SMF with LFR weapons.

This kinda reminds me of 4.2 situation where everyone cried about how Arms is crap right until Enk popped out and started shitting all over everyone. Granted he had heroic Sulfuras but still it was awesome.

That said, Arms does suck and I say it as someone who shelved his warrior a year ago and is looking at friends' and guildies' performance.

credits: Supernerd