Thread: Monk Burst

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Monk Burst

Hey guys im a windwalker monk 493 i level is it me or does monk burst damage not keep up with other classes i always prepot in a fight but all the guys hit 200k and i am only 120k and then they drop down to 90-100k and i can only get 70-90k but its not the long fight im talking about its the burst at the start of a fight being first 30sec all classes kill monks hands down and even switching target monk dps cant keep up ?? any tips or help ??

Deleted
    We are one of the few non burst classes in the game or low burst so basicly what you ramp up to in the first 30 sec on the fight will be your dps till you get your cooldowns again and it might rise a little bit.

Mostly you will do substained damage so you should also treat your class that way, use tigereye every 15 sec on 3+ stacks so you keep doing that substained damage and do not drop, because dropping means you stay there till you get cooldowns or tigereye stacks to max and you have to play picture perfect to recover from that.

Also try to get as many stacks of tigereye before the pull and use it with your prepot so you benefit from those stacks during your first xuen.

Since patch i cannot get rid of my energy with a 2hand. I am almost constantly capping with 6600 haste during the burst phase. No wonder the burst is not bigger because you cannot spend your ressources effectively during haste phases. On the other hand, the burst from your tiger is insane on aoe packs and it is a 45sek burst every 3min that brings your temporary pet above many permanent ones of other classes.

Also just because Xuen is so nice, fyi: Brewmaster Xuen is genious on aoe pack, tank everything and let no mob on the other tank and pop xuen with 200-350k AP... 130k sustained dps from xuen for a full 45 seconds
    Last edited by Hyrican; 2012-12-10 at 11:25 AM.

Deleted
    How much haste you need depends on your playstyle, if your capping with the 2H I'd suggest reforging some Crit until your comfortable that I won't cap constantly before you can use it.

Burst damage doesn't keep up because it is literally impossible to spend more than 20 energy per second, before factoring Mastery procs which consume no Chi (and therefore no Energy). Bloodlust basically puts us a 100% energy cap with Ascension and decent levels of haste beforehand. This also makes Energizing Brew worthless during Bloodlust, which can get pretty annoying if it's at the start of a fight.

To make matters worse, Xuen is our only real DPS cooldown and he does his damage over 45 seconds, which isn't nearly as good as something like Recklessness or Ascendance if you need your damage in a 20 second window. Finally, Tigereye Brew requires some time to build up, which means you don't get to use it with pre-pot or the first round of procs at the start of a fight. Of course this is fine over the course of a fight, but if you need burst, Monks are probably one of the worst specs in the game to get it from.

Quote Originally Posted by Asnerek View Post
    We are one of the few non burst classes in the game or low burst so basicly what you ramp up to in the first 30 sec on the fight will be your dps till you get your cooldowns again and it might rise a little bit.

Mostly you will do substained damage so you should also treat your class that way, use tigereye every 15 sec on 3+ stacks so you keep doing that substained damage and do not drop, because dropping means you stay there till you get cooldowns or tigereye stacks to max and you have to play picture perfect to recover from that.

Also try to get as many stacks of tigereye before the pull and use it with your prepot so you benefit from those stacks during your first xuen.
    In raids your brew stacks reset to 0 when u pull boss

On the other hand WW has a pretty good 2-8second burst and one of the easiest but also strong aoe rotations in game right now. So there are strengths but WW is almost always the odd one out with 10man raid compositions for buffs and good melee/range ratio. Sustained dps is strong, target switching works great, survivability is top, but you are not missing anything without them. Your 10man grp is hurting for buffs without 2 of the 4: dkdd, warrior, rogue, hunter. So best case the last melee slot because the composition is great without WW already.

@Tatuin
    You can activate Tiger Brew before the pull and the dmgbuff stays active.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatuin View Post
    In raids your brew stacks reset to 0 when u pull boss
    that's why you should drink your brew and prepot together. brew stacks only reset when the fight begins, drink them 2 or 1 seconds before the boss is being pulled and you will have almost full benefit.

UUUU seems i learned something here today then awesome, thanks alot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lukesh View Post
    that's why you should drink your brew and prepot together. brew stacks only reset when the fight begins, drink them 2 or 1 seconds before the boss is being pulled and you will have almost full benefit.
    I think they fixed that too. The actual tiger eye buff goes poof when fight starts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asnerek View Post
    I feel like you want to treat tigereye stacks like fury warriors treat rage, but on a longer time scale. Keep track of your trinket and Xuen cooldowns, and while you have time, keep using your tigereye for sustained damage, but once you're X seconds before they come off cooldown (based on how fast you can build stacks), start pooling tigereye stacks so you can pop a large 8-10 stack with the trinket or cooldown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I think they fixed that too. The actual tiger eye buff goes poof when fight starts.
    no, they have not fixed this. and I wish they did. It is fairly annoying to ask for your raid to either wait for 4 minutes or for someone to duel you before each attempt.

Deleted
    Monk Burst.
    There is no such a thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    no, they have not fixed this. and I wish they did. It is fairly annoying to ask for your raid to either wait for 4 minutes or for someone to duel you before each attempt.
    Maybe they'll fix it when they finally remove pre-potting, which is another stupid mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by masteryuri View Post
    Monk Burst.
    Monk Execute.

Deleted
    I dont even know how to get Tigereye stacks before pull unless you killed trash and go straight in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drarion View Post
    I dont even know how to get Tigereye stacks before pull unless you killed trash and go straight in.
    Expel Harm + Chi Wave. It's pretty slow, though.

Not all classes need burst at the beginning of a fight and it's not a problem that you need help for. If you wanted to have early fight burst, Windwalker was the last class you should have picked.
    Last edited by Ryanlol; 2012-12-11 at 10:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    when I go to the carnival and drop 5 bucks on a -game- I don't bitch when I don't win the stuffed bear

10+ Year Old Account
    Monks don't really have great burst at the moment. However, I hope eventually the class is reworked a little bit! There will be monk changes in 5.2, just unknown right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    I feel like you want to treat tigereye stacks like fury warriors treat rage, but on a longer time scale. Keep track of your trinket and Xuen cooldowns, and while you have time, keep using your tigereye for sustained damage, but once you're X seconds before they come off cooldown (based on how fast you can build stacks), start pooling tigereye stacks so you can pop a large 8-10 stack with the trinket or cooldown.
    Xuen doesn't benefit from tigereye stacks. If anyone in this thread wants to get the most out of their brew, just use stacks when you've got a trinket/weapon proc, or pool them for when bloodlust comes or there's a phase where the boss will take increased damage, example, garalon's legs. Just using them for sustained damage like was said in the first reply, is not getting the most out of it.

In my opinion they buffed us quite a bit with not having to stack tigerpalm at the pull with prepot, this is a pretty significant change, we don't have a masive burst ability but using tigersbrew effectively can get you top of the meters and some ranked parses in world of logs.
    Last edited by mmoc40e5a9c261; 2012-12-11 at 10:16 AM.