Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

EA falls from the nasdaq-100

Pretty much something alot of people were kind of expecting to happen.

as of dec 24th they will be no longer listed on the nasdaq 100.
    link: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/16/3...-adds-facebook

seems also Rim and Netflix are also being removed. facebook just replaced one of them.

alot of noise going on saying that EA is basically going to die out. I can't find examples of companies that have been delisted and still run today tho.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please finish my Command and Conquer Generals sequel first, thanks EA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't mean that EA is going to die, just means that they are nowhere near as prominent as they used to be. Personally, I see them continuing to go down, as their games of the last 8 years or so seem to be of mediocre quality for the most part. I hope they stay up though, as they have quite a few tech jobs here in Vancouver, do not want to be competing with laid off EA workers for jobs in the near future.
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

Quote Originally Posted by Kiekö View Post

i loved cnc back when before ea started buying up companies (westwood). i'd say let it stay as it is and hope someone easle picks up the licencing and does it right. i just don't want to see after swtor's f2p system applied to an rts game. want guard towers? 100 tokens! (50 for $2.00) want orcas? (150 tokens). you get the idea. maybe if ea dies all the licences go out to public domain and someone can make a good one.

Deleted
    I hope they go bust and we can dump them in the trashheap of history.

But yeah, BioWare for example has lost them ridiculous amounts of money with SWTOR and to a lesser extent with ME3/DA2 by reducing futures sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post

But yeah, BioWare for example has lost them ridiculous amounts of money with SWTOR and to a lesser extent with ME3/DA2 by reducing futures sales.
    the micro managing from ea under bioware's roof probably did that damage.

NASDAQ-100 has a daily volume minimum, more than likely EA wasn't meeting it. Doesn't mean anything other than it's not trading as hotly.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post

Pretty sure swtor made profit, maybe not as much as other MMO's but a lot...and I mean a lot of players played for the first 2 months.

You don't have to be number 1 MMORPG in order to make profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Pretty sure swtor made profit, maybe not as much as other MMO's but a lot...and I mean a lot of players played for the first 2 months.

I don't know how much profit SWTOR actually made. The game was very expensive to develop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...e_Old_Republic

Somewhere between 150-200 million to make the game. They certainly didn't make that back on box sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiekö View Post
    CnC has been utterly destroyed by EA, I remember it being my favorite RTS before Westwood was eaten up.

I just can't believe how bad CnC4 was for me personally. I struggled through the Nod campaign through the terrible story and boring gameplay. It didn't feel anything like CnC. After the final mission, I literally laughed in my seat through the ridiculous ending. Had to look up the ending from the other campaign on youtube, never bothered to touch the game again or play online or play any future CnC games.

Just another thing that EA has destroyed... I am truly glad they are dying a slow (but necessary) death.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    alot of noise going on saying that EA is basically going to die out. I can't find examples of companies that have been delisted and still run today tho.
    You understand the Nasdaq 100 only lists 100 companies right? 100 of the largest non-financial companies listed on the NASDAQ. Not being in the top 100 does not equal dieing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    Pretty much something alot of people were kind of expecting to happen.

as of dec 24th they will be no longer listed on the nasdaq 100.
    link: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/16/3...-adds-facebook

seems also Rim and Netflix are also being removed. facebook just replaced one of them.

wikipedia is very useful for this, and there are tons of examples. Just look at the changes section and you will find a good number of examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASDAQ-100

It's more about what's interesting to stock brokers, and less about the direct success of said companies.

EA aint gonna fall over and die, unless they seriously mismanage the company, sure they might have to do some changes, but those should be minor.. What they would need to do to kill emselves is to keep making crap games, just look at the EA publications this year, each was either rehash sports release or AAA game that fell flat, cause some weird reason, like mass effect getting pushed before it was ready.. But ye they either need to start getting their act together, or we wont just buy their games anymore..

Not that the small minority that thinks they ruined companies like Bullfrog, westwood and bioware is going to play anything coming from EA anyways unless its really really good..

Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    I don't know how much profit SWTOR actually made. The game was very expensive to develop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...e_Old_Republic

Somewhere between 150-200 million to make the game. They certainly didn't make that back on box sales.
    2million box sales times $50 per box is $100million in box sales alone, factor in subscription money and they are well over that 15-200 you say, even though I personally think it cost less than that to make.

$50 per box is probably low also, I think the regular was more than that, let alone collectors editions and deluxe packages.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    2million box sales times $50 per box is $100million in box sales alone, factor in subscription money and they are well over that 15-200 you say, even though I personally think it cost less than that to make.

$50 per box is probably low also, I think the regular was more than that, let alone collectors editions and deluxe packages.
    ROFL as if anyone would get 100% of the box sales money, they had to pay lisences for the IP and distribution costs, server costs, maintanence, salaries.. all that they would have needed to get like over 5 million in box sales to get 100 million..

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    ROFL as if anyone would get 100% of the box sales money, they had to pay lisences for the IP and distribution costs, server costs, maintanence, salaries.. all that they would have needed to get like over 5 million in box sales to get 100 million..
    Yes and I'm sure most of that is factored into the 150-200million that was previously mentioned. Unless of course you believe that expenses do not count in the overall cost.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post

I can guarantee you that they did not intend to make SWTOR Free-To-Play this soon after launch. SWTOR was an epic financial failure even though initial revenue is more important than later revenue.

I hate EA with a passion, so yay.

Deleted
    They still have EA Sports putting out cheap sequels in mass quantities among other things. The failure of SWTOR isn't going to kill EA, besides they'll probably make a lot of money off the hardcore Old Republic fans through microtransactions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well EA should see some familiar faces if they do end up in the failheap. They put alot of those faces in there, after all. Bioware are looking to be the most recent addition to said heap, and I would like to see EA severly hurt in terms of success for how they go about their business practices and for what they've done to gaming.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!