Thread: GTX 670 4gb

GTX 670 4gb

Hello lady and gents

With my new build I decided to test out a 670 but instead of a 2gb card I was like hell ill go for the 4gb card and see whats up.

Good card, backplate included, plays everygame before vertical sync at 110+ and dips in BF3 to the lowest of 51 fps, pretty awesome if you ask me

Buttttttt

If i touch one little thing in the ASUS GPUtweak, it crashes, every, single, time. Have no idea why, change the MHZ by even 1 and shabam, reboot

Anyone with some help?

Thanks,
    Furi.

PS GPUtweak is as up to date btw

You got a bad chip(not necessarily bad, but can't be OC'd further). Could also be drivers, just delete your current ones and reinstall again.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're aware of that the 4 GB version did at most 1-2 fps more than if you choose the 2 GB version? 2 GB is more than enough for most games at 1080p

Irrelevant to your problem, but 4GiB versions are a performance decrease on the GTX 670 and GTX 680.

Have you tried other overclocking utilities, like eVGA and MSI's?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your issue fully resides in the fact you're using GPUTweak, this utility is terribad. Use Afterburner, EVGA X-Precision.
    Nothing wrong with the card.

I would only get a 4GB version of 670 or 680 if I was running 3 screens tbh. The 4GB versions seems to have less potential for OC than their 2GB counterparts. It might be the utility you are using as well, although it's doubtful the utility is the only problem. Have you checked temperatures? What PSU do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    I would only get a 4GB version of 670 or 680 if I was running 3 screens tbh.
    Wouldn't even be able to use them with a 256bit membus. Complete placebo.

At the end of all this lol, I run 3 screens, and also I dont really care if the 2 Gig card is better, I wanted the for. Have you seen Crysis 3 specs? like thats our future, 2gb cards wont cut it. 4gig is a better option in my opinion, and of course my opinion on the gig side of things is the only thing that matters

But it can still only use 2 of it

Quote Originally Posted by Furiex View Post
    At the end of all this lol, I run 3 screens, and also I dont really care if the 2 Gig card is better, I wanted the for. Have you seen Crysis 3 specs? like thats our future, 2gb cards wont cut it. 4gig is a better option in my opinion, and of course my opinion on the gig side of things is the only thing that matters
    Well your opinion is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    But it can still only use 2 of it
    With a three monitor setup a gpu will use more than 2gb of ram. You are correct that over 2 is worthless if you are only running one monitor. But if the Op is using a multimonitor setup 4gb is not a bad idea for now or in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    With a three monitor setup a gpu will use more than 2gb of ram. You are correct that over 2 is worthless if you are only running one monitor. But if the Op is using a multimonitor setup 4gb is not a bad idea for now or in the future.
    You missed the point entirely.

a 256mb bus isn't going to do shit for 4gb of ram

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furiex View Post
    I sense a few denials here, and also allot of wrongs.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are throwing around numbers I'm not entirely convinced they understand.

The width of the GPU memory bus does not affect how much RAM is addressable; it's an aggregate figure based on the number of memory controllers present and how deep their channels are. The GTX 670 has four 64-bit controllers, resulting in a 256-bit memory bus. If the GPU were a city, the memory bus would be the number of roads leading to and away from it while the RAM frequency would act as the speed limit. The OS architecture (exclusively 32-bit builds unless you have 252+ GB of RAM installed on your 64-bit system) can affect addressable system and graphics memory, but this obviously is a natural limitation.

Something else to bear in mind is that tools like EVGA Precision and GPU-Z cannot report how much memory is actually required for the current frame. These will report memory allocation, which is useful in its own way, but that doesn't tell the story of how much memory the game requires at a given moment. While we're on the topic of memory consumption, I'd like to say that although it's certainly possible to push a game to generally require more than 2GB of VRAM by driving multiple displays using high MSAA+TrAA sampling and high-res assets and whatnot, by the time you reach this point you will have already been fighting aggressively dropping frame rates. We're not only increasing our reliance on memory bandwidth here, we're pushing a ton of pixels and operations on the GPU. Despite making a good argument for going with an SLI configuration, on its own you'll be comparing low double-digit numbers to lower double-digit numbers, both of which being so far beneath a playable state that they become completely irrelevant outside of benchmarking.

Beyond all of that... OP: I'd suggest as others have mentioned and try using a more established overclocking/monitoring suite like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner.
    Last edited by Collie; 2012-12-19 at 06:26 PM.

Looking at GPU usage and GPU temps, it becomes clear that at 8064x1440 the GPU's aren't even close to being engaged to their full potential. It looks like GK104 doesn't have enough VRAM bandwidth for 4GB. I guess now it makes sense why nVidia originally released them with 2GB frame buffer and 256-bit bus width. It also makes sense that the GK110 rumors say that it will come with 4GB and 512-bit bus.

Overall, right now it looks like the 4GB GK104 is a scam by AIB partners. You simply can't benefit from the extra VRAM.
    --http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038923974&postcount=42 3x2560x1440
    ASUS have said they've noticed no performance difference at those large resolutions between 4GiB and 2GiB cards.

Thanks to the membus, the GPU itself will have hit the roof of its potential long before the additional VRAM will have given you any benefit.

I am too tired to have further discussion at this point, or find more of the sources. (although I do appreciate a fun discussion like this)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    --http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038923974&postcount=42 3x2560x1440
    ASUS have said they've noticed no performance difference at those large resolutions between 4GiB and 2GiB cards.

Thanks to the membus, the GPU itself will have hit the roof of its potential long before the additional VRAM will have given you any benefit.

I am too tired to have further discussion at this point, or find more of the sources. (although I do appreciate a fun discussion like this)
    At that resolution, I'm not surprised. Even still, this particular card and others like it are extremely difficult to justify spending any extra amount of money on, so it doesn't feel worth mentioning the potential conditions in which it would be slightly more useful. (If it's unplayable, what's the point anyway?) Not to mention I'd be dragging this even more off-topic...
    Last edited by Collie; 2012-12-19 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Accidentally some words.

Deleted
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...r-vram-useless

Shocking that they get away with it tbh ...good post from a guy called edeawillrule