Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Of Mice and Men. Probably because my english teacher tried to read into too much.

But by christ was it boring. I couldn't throw the book away fast enough

15+ Year Old Account
    The book that I remember hating and being bored reading from school days was Robinson Crusoe. Weird, because I like that whole adventure-lost-on-an-island concept, but I guess having to read it for a book report spoiled it.

Recently, Finnegan's Wake. Not boring, exactly; reading it is actually kind of fun, once you detach yourself from trying to figure out what's going on. But definitely difficult.

Deleted
    Golden Bough - Jsmes Frazer. Not only is it fairly inaccurate, it is intellectual snobbery which has influenced many other writers who are difficult to read.

I would say Heart of Darkness. Hated that book, but I had to read it for school.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Lolita - I had to put a lot more effort into getting through it than any other book I've read, I'd go through about 5 pages and think to myself 'what did I just read?' and then start over, I think for me it was the random insertions of french that I did not understand nor did it explain so it would cause me to lose my reading flow.

Currently reading Catch 22, it is good but it doesn't hold my attention for that long so I find myself reading it in short bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeluia View Post
    Lolita - I had to put a lot more effort into getting through it than any other book I've read, I'd go through about 5 pages and think to myself 'what did I just read?' and then start over, I think for me it was the random insertions of french that I did not understand nor did it explain so it would cause me to lose my reading flow.
    I felt dirty reading it and even worse when I watched the Jeremy Irons adaptation.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Complete Sherlock Holmes.

All the SH books in one big ass book. In the original late 1800s - early 1900s century british English. (thats late 1900s early 20th century for you Amerifags)
    That was hard. Still don't know how much money "a sovereign" is.
    I am and always will be the optimist. The hope for far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams.

Am I the only one that hated Great Expectations. Maybe it was because I was 15 at the time, but my god.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    There is a LotR-translation for New Norwegian. I REALLY want to read it, because I firmly believe that New Norwegian makes all fantasy more epic (simply because it looks more old as a language than bokmål), and the people who write New Norwegian are usually admirably gung-ho about not loaning words, ever.
    Most Norwegians I know beyond Oslo, my Norwegian girlfriend included, hate Nynorsk with a passion and see it as pointless/useless.

As for me:

Most difficult: The Canterbury Tales, given that I also had to translate them.

Most boring: I think i've a good eye for books, because none of what i've read is particularly boring; save perhaps, for Lord of the Flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    Am I the only one that hated Great Expectations. Maybe it was because I was 15 at the time, but my god.
    I really liked that in school actually I quite like Dickens if I was made to read "literature" for some reason...

I hated Shakespear though... I have a large vocabulary, read voraciously, and am not uncomfortable reading obscure / archaic words, but so much of the text seemed lost upon me like the "jokes" that would have made sense at the time, often sound like gibberish in todays english, as context has shifted both in language and time. So a lot of things had to be explained or read in footnotes to get the most out of it. That, and I'm not a big lover of theatre anyway i have to say.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowconundrum View Post
    Of Mice and Men. Probably because my english teacher tried to read into too much.

But by christ was it boring. I couldn't throw the book away fast enough
    The movie was ten times better then the book was. I had to read it in grade 10 English, what a joke as it was such an easy read for me. Hell, we read Shakespeare when I was in grade 9. That's what I got for moving and having to go to a new school.

the bible followed by lord of the flies, barely made it through either

I read a book by R.A. Salvatore once, I can't think of anything more boring or difficult to force myself to finish.

Blindness, the novel where after 3 chapters nobody in my family ( we all read about a book/ 2 weeks) could read further

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    War and Peace. Ugh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Silmarillion, easily
    this. it's really fun because it provides so much lore about the LOTR world, but damn there are like 4000 different names, times and places to keep track on.

Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    War and Peace. Ugh.
    The story is an epic one upon a crowded stage
    Reflecting social patterns and the history of an age.
    Beginning with Natasha and her brother, an hussar
    Whose cousin Sonya loves him 'cause he's loyal to the Tsar,
    His friend, Pierre, a boor who's rich
    and his friend, Prince Andrei,
    Who hates his wife called Lise who is in the family way!
    Andrei goes off to war and Lise dies but leaves a son
    And Nicolai is fighting too-- they fight Napoleon!
    Pierre's wife's name is Hélène, she's the daughter of Prince Vasily.
    Pierre won't go to war, instead he sets his peasants free.
    Did I forget to mention Andrei has a sister too?
    And Hélène has a brother or is this too much for you?
    When Andrei meets Natasha, he loves her heart and soul.
    But she meets Hélène's brother, he's a cad.
    That's Anatol.

=)

--Flowers for Algernon (1979 musical)

Deleted
    The first quarter of each WoT book is pretty tough.
    You go from reasonably high octane action and lots of plot developments at the end of the previous one and then you get to recap everything that has ever happened in the series for the next 300 pages. Oh and the character idiosyncrasies get a bit much... *tugs braid*

Not wanting to make any of you want to decapitate me but

Anything written by J.R.R Tolkien I found it to have far too lengthy descriptions of incredibly mundane things e.g the rock formations in Moria. Also I recall a scene where it was about 60+ pages of dialog with nothing actually happening.
    Last edited by Poutinecrazed; 2012-12-21 at 03:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehir View Post
    Not wanting to make any of you want to decapitate me but

Anything written by J.R.R Tolkien I found it to have far too lengthy descriptions of incredibly mundane things e.g the rock formations in Moria. Also I recall a scene where it was about 60+ pages of dialog with nothing actually happening.
    The chapter with Faramir and Eowyn? I skipped that one.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 11:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dystin View Post
    The first quarter of each WoT book is pretty tough.
    You go from reasonably high octane action and lots of plot developments at the end of the previous one and then you get to recap everything that has ever happened in the series for the next 300 pages. Oh and the character idiosyncrasies get a bit much... *tugs braid*
    God, Nynaeve is such an annoying character.
    Putin khuliyo