Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    umm this dont fit because the Pureblood Sith have facial tentacles down their eyes cheeks and chin so how would he Torgurta not work ??
    Not only do the Togruta's tentacles cover part of their chest, they stick up, too, and would cause clipping issues with most of the headgear in the game. The Pureblood Sith's tentacles are small by comparison, and only occasionally would clip through headgear.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So hilarious how they still brazenly demand that the Cathar sell well or else you get jack shit. Or that somehow their character customization even comes close to levels that players 'have come to expect'.
    BAD WOLF

Yea, I wish they would also let us know when we might actually see Cathar as well.

Off topic: hehe Bad Wolf

"if the cathar do well"
    ridiculous

personally I dont care at all for the cathar, they're not at all an iconic star wars race.
    why not rodians? wookies? gamorreans? even droids? there are so many badass options, really.

but they chose they easy way, as usual. at least they admit that they simply dont want to or are not able to add races that would animate and look completely differently. which is something other MMOs provide naturally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelle View Post
    Sounds more like a DLC than a full-blown expansion... Only 3 features they bother to announce?
    I agree with this, it's going to be nothing like other MMO expansions.

I came back to see the game after a long long break and I am shocked at the amount of content added, it's terrible. It looks like they waste all their time on the cartel market.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-01-18 at 11:43 AM.

Deleted
    I just don't get Bioware... I don't get them at all. "Threatening" their customers into buying the Cathar just so they can have some -hope- that their species will show up eventually?
    So if I want to eventually play as a Togruta, I'll have to first buy a species that I don't like the looks or lore of? Eh, way to encourage people to keep playing...

Most companies seem to follow the "Give more for less" method, but Bioware seem to be going for the "Give less for more." which is something I just can't support, even if I had wanted to play their game.

Deleted
    SWG managed to have Ithorians, Wookiees, Rodians, Bothans, Sullustans and Trandoshans. I understand some would be a nightmare clipping-wise (Ithorians) but others surely are a doddle to do. 'People would get fed up by listening to Shyriiwook 24/7' is surely up to each player. I personally would love a Wookiee main character.

The Cathar will sell well. Togruta/Nautolan will be added next. My predictions. My hopes for a Wookiee Sith Warrior must be shelved for this decade methinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt they will ever go beyond the races that share the human form. :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    So hilarious how they still brazenly demand that the Cathar sell well or else you get jack shit. Or that somehow their character customization even comes close to levels that players 'have come to expect'.
    Just to play Devil's Advocate here...their reasoning makes sense to me. If a new race unlock does not sell well, its not worth the time or resources to produce future ones. As a player I think it sucks, but I can understand that if they aren't making money on it then its not worth devoting resources to that field. But I'd love for them to introduce Rodians, Wookiees, Trandoshans, ect...

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Just to play Devil's Advocate here...their reasoning makes sense to me. If a new race unlock does not sell well, its not worth the time or resources to produce future ones. As a player I think it sucks, but I can understand that if they aren't making money on it then its not worth devoting resources to that field. But I'd love for them to introduce Rodians, Wookiees, Trandoshans, ect...
    I get that... but I also hope they keep in mind if it doesn't sell well it might have more to do with people not being interested in that race. I mean I am sure if the put the Voss (for instance) on there it would sell like hot cakes.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I totally get that...but you playing Devil's Advocate even admits that all they care about is the money and not their players or fans.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 11:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    hehe Bad Wolf
    Rewatching on Netflix for like the 100th time...I think I'm going to get a tattoo with it and a Tardis on my foot.
    BAD WOLF

You do realize developing a game, any game, based those principles is bad right, only developing content that is financially worth it on a buy to play basis is probably one of the worst ways to make an overall good game. This is not to mention how flawed this very reasoning is when it comes to something as subjective as race, 10% might be in to having a Cathar while 90% would be in to getting the Wookiee, having the former decide if the latter should be added shows a horrible misunderstanding of how customers and their preferences work.

Deleted
    If a new race unlock does not sell well, its not worth the time or resources to produce future ones. As a player I think it sucks, but I can understand that if they aren't making money on it then its not worth devoting resources to that field. But I'd love for them to introduce Rodians, Wookiees, Trandoshans, ect...
    It could also be that they misjudged what the market wants.
    I could be wrong of course, but I haven't seen anyone say "I want to play as a Cathar!" (though I'm sure there are people who would love to!) while I have seen -a lot- of people wanting Togruta and even Rodian.
    Just because one species doesn't sell well doesn't mean that no species will.

If anything they should punish the people who pushed the final decision on the species, since they obviously misjudged what the market wanted.
    Though Bioware developers have a reputation of having the "I can do no wrong."-attitude, sadly.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. I don't personaly think they are trying to demand people buy this or no new races. I can see why they are asying what they are saying.

At the same time I think cathar is a poor race to judge future races off of. I have no interest in playing Lion-O in SW:TOR. There are many better races they could have tried first. Voss for one.

Deleted
    Because re-skinning the same model they use for every single race without any outstanding features is so time and resource consuming am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I don't personaly think they are trying to demand people buy this or no new races. I can see why they are asying what they are saying.
    16. When is Cathar coming out? Are we planning on any races beyond that.

Damion: Cathar race is coming in the months timeframe not the years timeframe.

Jeff: Probably, yes.

Damion: I want it out as soon as it is feasible because we want to see how everything does on the market. The answer to the second question is how well is the Cathar doing on the marketplace. Doing a race and all the customization options is very very expensive but if it is something popular, that is something we will do more.
    Yes, they essentially did. That's pulled from their 1.6 livestream transcript on Dulfy's website.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/29/swtor-pa...qa-transcript/

That essentially does say that if the Cathar doesn't sell well, that they won't be creating additional races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    You do realize developing a game, any game, based those principles is bad right, only developing content that is financially worth it on a buy to play basis is probably one of the worst ways to make an overall good game. This is not to mention how flawed this very reasoning is when it comes to something as subjective as race, 10% might be in to having a Cathar while 90% would be in to getting the Wookiee, having the former decide if the latter should be added shows a horrible misunderstanding of how customers and their preferences work.
    Oh I agree 100% with that no doubt. Some of the best and inovative games come from people who are looking to make a great game, not make a game that will sell well. Unfortunately there are plenty of games that don't operate under that principle. Instead they operate under the free-market principle that truly good games will succeed financially and unsuccessful games will not. And that is the type of thinking that gives us Madden and CoD. Is it wrong? From our perspective (the type of gamer that comes to forums to discuss things) the answer is yes, it is wrong. But from the numbers perspective, we are wrong. And the numbers all correlate to a bunch of people who we might say, "don't know any better", and ran out to buy whatever the new Football or Military FPS game is.

And I'm no better myself. I've quit SWTOR multiple times after being infuriated by what the people in charge are doing...and right now I am subbed because I enjoy playing this game. I wasn't able to keep a hardline boycott like I have in other arenas. Its maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    That essentially does say that if the Cathar doesn't sell well, that they won't be creating additional races.
    I don't see the Cathar selling particularly well, anyway. Not that they've gotten into much detail about the whole thing, but it doesn't seem like there will be any difference between creating a Cathar character and any other.

Do you start on a different planet? Probably not.
    Are the conversation options going to be any different? Most likely not (although if the Trooper interaction with Aric Jorgan were slightly different because you were Cathar too, that'd be neat, I guess).

Yeah, having more available choices is always nice, I just don't understand why people are so hung up on this. Is it not possible for them to enjoy the game without being a Cathar?

Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    I don't see the Cathar selling particularly well, anyway. Not that they've gotten into much detail about the whole thing, but it doesn't seem like there will be any difference between creating a Cathar character and any other.

Do you start on a different planet? Probably not.
    Are the conversation options going to be any different? Most likely not (although if the Trooper interaction with Aric Jorgan were slightly different because you were Cathar too, that'd be neat, I guess).

Yeah, having more available choices is always nice, I just don't understand why people are so hung up on this. Is it not possible for them to enjoy the game without being a Cathar?
    I wouldn't expect anything different as far as interaction with companions/storyline ect. Just a reskinning.

SWTOR already locks out a ton of races, so this isn't something new. Honestly, I can't see it being a big hit either. I'm sure it will sell reasonably well, but I can't really see it being too big of a hit since it is just a reskin, and honestly I don't even know how popular Cathar are as a race.Wookie? That would likely sell like crazy. But Cathar? Seems a bit more oriented at Star Wars fans than casual MMO Jack and Jane.

Oh I agree 100% with that no doubt. Some of the best and inovative games come from people who are looking to make a great game, not make a game that will sell well. Unfortunately there are plenty of games that don't operate under that principle. Instead they operate under the free-market principle that truly good games will succeed financially and unsuccessful games will not. And that is the type of thinking that gives us Madden and CoD. Is it wrong? From our perspective (the type of gamer that comes to forums to discuss things) the answer is yes, it is wrong. But from the numbers perspective, we are wrong. And the numbers all correlate to a bunch of people who we might say, "don't know any better", and ran out to buy whatever the new Football or Military FPS game is.
    I'd claim that designing a game only based on what's the popular purchase is bad numbers wise as well, if CoD only included popular guns for example, at some point down the line it wouldn't have options at all. The customer often doesn't know what it is they want until they have it available, basing your design on what sells well and what the customer says he wants is at it's core asking the wrong question.