Installing OS without DvD drive...

Hi!

I recently bought some computer pieces in order to build my own computer, and has the title say, I have no DvD drive, and I probably won't buy one. I actually have old IDE DvD drives, but I have no IDE connector in my Motherboard

Can I install my OS with an external DVD drive (USB one) without any trouble? I know that It will probably be loooonger cause It's an old one, but can I do it?
    ( It will avoid me to buy a SATA DvD drive and I don't really have money for it)
    My motherboard is a Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA1155 Motherboard GA-Z77-D3H.

I installed OS on a laptop who had no DvD drive with my external one, but It as a windows installed on it before, does It change something?

Get a USB stick and install with that. Works a lot faster.

You could probably succeed using an external DVD drive, though imho, using a USB stick (must be at least 4gigs) as stated above is probably a better solution. It is indeed very fast.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

wow, your fast!

Well, my Windows 7 is a OEM one, I don't know if it changes something (its actually in on a DvD, so I don't figure out how I could install it with a USB stick ^_^)

But does it will work with my external usb drive?

Assuming you can find the external DVD drive in the BIOS, and can boot from it, then yes, it should work flawlessly. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

Using Microsoft's own tool, you should actually be able to copy your original DVD over to a USB stick. That would require a working computer though.
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

You can download an ISO of Windows 7 from the internet and then use the Microsoft Windows 7 USB tool that was linked.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-win...ds-t12325.html

Ok, I'll probably try the external drive and If it don't work I'll go for the USB tool
    But if I can boot from usb stick, Why couldn't I boot from an external usb drive?? =D

to Rhyseh
    Will it work with a OEM copy of windows 7? Does the difference is just in the key?

That's pretty much my point. Any computer that isn't 6+ years old should work perfectly fine with a USB stick. Hence I don't see why an external DVD drive would be a problem.

Using your own DVD to make a copy over to a USB should work fine, and as long as you only make one copy, is also legal.
    Downloading Windows from anywhere but Microsoft is at best a grey area, but most things points to it not being legal. So you probably shouldn't do that.

EDIT: I looked on the actual links that Rhyseh linked you, and they should be fine. Digital River is some sort of retailer of Windows, their .iso files are just very publicly available. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Incognito Noctix; 2012-12-18 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    to Rhyseh
    Will it work with a OEM copy of windows 7? Does the difference is just in the key?
    Yes. I actually use these ISO's for reinstalling machines back to their OE install (i.e. when I reimage a machine from Windows 7 Enterprise back to the W7 Pro install that was initially on the machine).

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito Noctix View Post
    That's pretty much my point. Any computer that isn't 6+ years old should work perfectly fine with a USB stick. Hence I don't see why an external DVD drive would be a problem.
    Its brand new pieces, I think the mobo is a last year model (will check)
    Thanks for all your answers, I should be fine with this!