Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    This is the problem with MMOs.

If you aren't playing with friends and are unsure of what you're doing it actually makes YOU the douche, not them. Will you listen if I explain why?

When you join a group and it's 2, 4, 9, 14 or 24 other strangers that you're grouped with they are all depending on you and counting on you to perform well. If you don't perform well you literally (yes, literally) waste the real life time of those 2, 4, 9, 14 or 24 strangers.

Now, this isn't your fault. You're just playing a video game and you're trying to have fun. It isn't their fault either because they are just wanting to spend their RL time playing a video game and have fun. It's just the unfortunate nature of an MMO that groups strangers together randomly.

Think about it from a different angle for a second. Let's say you went and signed up for a community baseball team with other young adults. If you didn't know the first thing about how to play baseball and you didn't bother to practice or read the rule book you would be wasting the time of the other guys that showed up to play. You could be new, but you would at least practice and read up on it so you didn't ruin their evening for an hour or two each week.

That's what LFG is in WOW.. Sucking the fun out because it let's other just trying to play and enjoy the game waste your RL time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    I'm not saying he's out of line for warning them I'm saying that him warning them and them not holding his hand through the scenario doesn't make them ass-hats.
    I got the impression he was calling them asshats for insulting him just because he was new and not especially fast.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Rah55 View Post
    I haven't seen any reviews about individual scenarios and it really isn't necessary but a couple of words from an experienced group member would make things go easier. All that's at stake is a handful of valor points and about 15 minutes of time. If you're really that uptight and impolite about those stakes then you must be the pathetic one.
    Scenarios, in their current state, are easy, undertuned, bite sized pieces of content. The only things worth passing on to new players is what mobs are skippable, and who has to stay behind in unga-ingoo.

Like LFD, people do not want to take 10 mins to describe the above to you. I know it's cold and heartless, but most of them boil down to finishing the objectives as they appear on the screen, often those boil down to "Kill Stuff, Don't Die." like Theramore, Ingoo, Brewmoon, Greenstone, Tomb, etc.

You can pretty much expect the same treatment going into a scenario and saying something like "I'm new" (which, out of context, makes it sound like you're trying to say you're new to wow.) as you would going into LFD/LFR. Frankly, you're better off running with a guildy and having him explain the intricacies than try and convince a pug to do so.

I'll be damned if I'm going to help him get his valor points!!!
    There's 0 queue time for scenarios. There's a 15 min deserter debuff for dropping group. That's what we call shooting one's self in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I got the impression he was calling them asshats for insulting him just because he was new and not especially fast.
    Yeah but they never insulted him. The guy that said pathetic could have been saying it due to not getting any loot from his chest. The other guy just stated that he hoped he wasn't fail. I don't know about you but I tend to hope that anytime I do LFR that none of them are fail. It doesn't make me an ass-hat it just makes me realistic.

Deleted
    The only thing I take issue with this in this thread is the person replying that "elite" players just want to get it done and can't stand scrubs (or words to that effect)

The truth of the matter is truly elite players are usually polite or at worse apathetic, especially in scenarios they can complete solo.

"Wannabe elites" on the other hand, insecure about their own skill and ready to pass the blame for their inadequacy on anyone and everything but themselves are the pathetic excuses for human beings.
    That's been my experience at least.

So OP I'd say just feel sorry for them and go on your merry way, there's plenty normal people in groups as well, just need a little matchmaking luck in LF*.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    People are jerks. I think the biggest jerks are the ones that drop group in a scenario. You cannot re-que for scenarios, so you are kind of s out of luck when this happens. Some scenarios it doesnt really matter when this happens, but others it can be a real chore to complete.
    I've been dropped into a half-completed scenario. I know before 5.1, it did not try to fill empty slots and I 2-manned almost all of a scenario with another person. I thought I read somewhere that they were going to implement scenario backfill. Anyone have verification if this is in-game? I haven't had anyone drop group since 5.1 hit to test.

I have a feeling part of the story that's important is what you are leaving out.

Some people love the carebear chit chat some dont, no one is going to give you a play by play of scenarios. You don't need it, scenarios is like a pop up picture book. If you can't follow...well...

Some don't say a single word. Not one. In dungeons or scenarios. If you want a novels worth of conversation bring your friends, or simply enjoy the instance and not over analyze it this much.

As for the other people, just ignore the ones who are being bitchy and move on.
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2012-12-19 at 01:24 AM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

50% of people in scenario groups choose to afk the entire thing and let the other 2 do it

In that case, I just go afk as well and the 3rd guy is forced to, and then the 1st guy drops group and we continue. Douchebag

Just don't tell them you're new. It both discourages them and will divert the blame to you the second something goes wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah im the kind of person that will warn people if im new to something, most of the time people appreciate the warning, sometimes you get nobs. Ive been playing wow long enough to not care anymore though, i learned back in WOTLK that it seems like most people are rude or inconsiderate. But then that just makes you appreciate people more when they are enjoyable to be around.

I could see that if they were difficult but they are just glorified group quests. Does the OP warn people he's new to questing when he joins up a daily group for GL?
    I swear to god, every other thread I see you in, you've almost always got this overly antagonistic condescending attitude. What's up with that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    I've been dropped into a half-completed scenario. I know before 5.1, it did not try to fill empty slots and I 2-manned almost all of a scenario with another person. I thought I read somewhere that they were going to implement scenario backfill. Anyone have verification if this is in-game? I haven't had anyone drop group since 5.1 hit to test.
    Already in the game. The post you quoted just haven't done scenarios post 5.1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there are plenty of asshats in the game so it would make sense to meet up with them from time to time in scenarios. So this is new?

But the thread became worthwhile for me personally for this:

50% of people in scenario groups choose to afk the entire thing and let the other 2 do it
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

if i'm at the gym and the next team up in pickup games starts telling us how they're new to basketball and being friendly, they're gonna get on my nerves and everyone else there. do what you signed up to do and shut up. you're not there to socialize

it's not an "online gaming" problem, it's a "just stop talking and do what you came to do" problem

To be honest I blow through scenarios regardless of where my 2 other people are. I'm exclusively there to cap valor as it's the fastest way to cap off whatevers left for DPS specs that have to wait stupid amounts of time in any other queue.

I don't talk to anyone or give anyone a hard time. I just rush the objectives and complete everything as fast as one character can.

If I'm rude for rushing through then they're rude for wanting me to waste my own time by going slow, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rah55 View Post
    Flash forward a couple of more successful scenarios and again I type "I'm new" in group chat. In response I see "I just hope you're not a damn fail lock." Hey, I'm experienced, level 90 and 440 ilevel so no problem for scenarios. Again off this guy goes without a word, so this time i just drop group. I'll be damned if I'm going to help him get his valor points!!!
    Sorry, I'm not seeing how is this guy an a**hat at all. While I agree the first guy who called you pathetic is uncalled for (granted for all I know you two were flopping around doing absolutely nothing to help the scenario, regardless of whether or not you knew what to do), a statement such as "I hope you don't suck at playing your class" does not make someone an a**hat. For all you know, he could've just gotten out of a scenario with a warlock who did nothing but dance and didn't know what a DoT was. I saw a warlock back when I was running BC instances on an alt just before MoP came out who was using an agility dagger and no offhand weapon, which I politely sent them a tell about but they did not speak English really.

I don't see why it was anymore called for for you to take a general class/playing comment personally when you had only met them for 5 seconds and angrily leave them, as well as the other person. All you had to do was actually say the part where you're 440 and experienced, and gone on and cleared the instance, even proved them wrong that not all warlocks suck, but instead you more or less proved his point IMO.

Lots of people are asshats. Lots of people are also fail and I'll bet couldn't tell you the difference between a shadow and a holy priest. It sucks running into people that don't want to just hug you and be BFF, but that's just how it is in an MMO. Don't take everything so seriously.
    Last edited by Forumchibi; 2012-12-19 at 05:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but they never insulted him. The guy that said pathetic could have been saying it due to not getting any loot from his chest. The other guy just stated that he hoped he wasn't fail. I don't know about you but I tend to hope that anytime I do LFR that none of them are fail. It doesn't make me an ass-hat it just makes me realistic.
    Hoping they aren't fail isn't quite the same as vocalizing it. I mean if you were somewhere and meeting new people, you don't go up to them and say, "Hi, I'm steve. I hope you aren't shitty." Same principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Hoping they aren't fail isn't quite the same as vocalizing it. I mean if you were somewhere and meeting new people, you don't go up to them and say, "Hi, I'm steve. I hope you aren't shitty." Same principle.
    you would if they told you that they don't know what's going on when they shook your hand first

"Hi, I'm Kyle, I don't know much what I'm doing."
    "Hi, I'm Steve. I hope you aren't shitty"

makes sense

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    you would if they told you that they don't know what's going on when they shook your hand first

"Hi, I'm Kyle, I don't know much what I'm doing."
    "Hi, I'm Steve. I hope you aren't shitty"

makes sense
    Personally, I just assume they were a few beers short of a six-pack and continue on my merry way. But I do agree, it's not exactly an insult, though slightly rude.

I've been in LFG where I made a similar comment to lighten up the rest of the group who had to suffer, after vote kicking a paladin tank who didn't own a shield, or a priest who came in as healer but only had shadow spec. It's not slander against the new guy, and I would also explain to them why the comment was made by describing the previous tank/healer. It's telling them that compared to the previous person who couldn't tell a sword from a fish that it doesn't take much to impress anyone in the group.