Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Good deeds in WoW

I guess you get it: do you do good deeds in-game or has anyone done something good to you without looking for some kind of compensation?

For example I don't take gold for portals since they are free now and I know a lot of people don't have huge amounts of gold. People are always SO HAPPY, thankful and surprised that it's totally worth it.

I also give gold to friends and sometimes total strangers.

But yesterday...

A guy was spamming Trade with "Giving 5 gold for a Deadmines boost!" and of course, people were making fun of his 'generous' offer. So I whispered him and told him he would have to offer more - at least 50 or 100 in order for someone to boost him. Then I opened a Trade window and gave him 150 gold.

And check what happened then: he was thankful, that's ok. But 3-4 secs later he started yelling:

'GIVING 50 GOLD TO SOMEONE TO BOOST ME THROUGH DEADMINES 5 TIMES!'

I lol'd and just accepted that some people can't be helped

A guy asked me politely for 10g because he wanted to buy an item and it was his first char on the server.

I gave him 100g and he was thrilled. I've done that a few times.

I used to give mage portals for free too.

Deleted
    Someone asked to buy a lift to a place where he wanted to tame a rare pet. I flew and biked him there for free rather than let him pay, only to find that he didn't have the skill to tame the pet. So I popped him on my friends list and when he levelled up, I took him back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never, ever take gold from guildies who try to tip me for doing something profession-wise for them. I don't usually get asked to make use of that for other people but if I did I probably wouldn't take tips for that either.

I do have a mage, I haven't played in awhile but I never took tips for portals either.

Deleted
    I'm glad it's not just me

Another thing I often do (and I'm starting to think I shouldn't) is invite a player standing near me during a Rare mob fight so that he/she can also get a chance to loot something for their character. But last week a priest ninjaed one of the 'special' items from one of the rares. He was begging me to invite him and the dumbest part is that if I could turn back time, I would still invite him

I don't take tips for enchanting things. If I see someone with a group of mobs, or even one mob and they have low health I'll help them out, usually regardless of faction.

Sometimes give some nice (noob) players some gold and advice. If I am in a good mood, I will fly them to a dungeon (deadmines for example) on my Rocket and do a run or two for them to get experience and loot. But afterwards I do say to them that I am not looking to be added on their friendslist, as it is a one time only thing. Usually they will respect my wishes.

I will help people in Pandaria too who haven't quested a lot yet and want to get their flying done. So I will transport them over for free (some other players ask money for it).

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember encountering a paladin leveling in stranglethorn back in wotlk, who asked for guidance about a quest. I answered him and added him to my friend list, a week or so later when he was at the later part I went and helped him with the last quest NPCs for the mastery quests which he was very grateful for. I even let him get the gurubashi chest once (sole I reason I ever was in stv back then), but I had some irl friends in the group who didn't hesitate to harass him. I quickly kicked them and apologized for their behavior. His gratefulness and the fact that he leveled the same class I first did made me first of all feel good about myself for helping him, and the nostalgia hit like truck to the face.

Latest good deed someone did for me is probably inviting me to a group so I could get a rare kill for the achievement, obviously I passed on all loot. But the last year or so I haven't been very sociable in WoW at all, so these are pretty much the only occasions I can remember.

I still have very fond memories of the people who helped me back in classic, and I'm very sad that I ended up transferring from their server.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm nice to newbies.
    But noobs get no quarter.
    Yes, I know the difference.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Sometimes when random strangers ask me questions, I somehow resist the urge to tell them that what they are looking for is in Booty Bay.

I blame the alcohol and general festive merriment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Sometimes when random strangers ask me questions, I somehow resist the urge to tell them that what they are looking for is in Booty Bay.

I blame the alcohol and general festive merriment.
    However, "Kite it to Vael's room" is always the appropriate answer for every PVE strategy question.

Deleted
    I used to be very kind to people and ran them through instances for free, back when selling boosts were common. Nowadays I just ignore people because in 8 out of 10 cases they're just snotty brats who want everything without being thankful or having any kind of courtesy. Typical whispers you get now are "10g plzz", without any real reason, they just want the money.

One example is when I gave a low level player a lift to whatever place he needed to go, helped with a few of his quests and gave him some gold. Didn't get a single thank you when we were done, he just dropped the group and that's the end of it. Ugh, I never acted like this when I was new to the game.

Deleted
    There are a lot of great things that were just said here.

Murghoul, what you're doing is really nice, I've also helped players from the other faction kill something, but I can't say this happens often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleventh View Post
    I used to be very kind to people and ran them through instances for free, back when selling boosts were common. Nowadays I just ignore people because in 8 out of 10 cases they're just snotty brats who want everything without being thankful or having any kind of courtesy. Typical whispers you get now are "10g plzz", without any real reason, they just want the money.

One example is when I gave a low level player a lift to whatever place he needed to go, helped with a few of his quests and gave him some gold. Didn't get a single thank you when we were done, he just dropped the group and that's the end of it. Ugh, I never acted like this when I was new to the game.
    Literacy is everything. If they are (or come across as) illiterate, the chances of them being little ungrateful twats is much higher.
    Strike up a small conversation. If they respond in complete sentences, they're worth your time.

I came across Logue'Narak (or whatever his name is), the rare awesome hunter spirit beast pet on my rogue. Could have gotten the achievement but I told several hunters that he was up, the only one responded had never heard about him or spirit beasts in general. I explained everything to him and how he needed to spec BM to tame him, and I waited (1 hour) there untill he arrived and tamed him. Didn't ask for anything.

In the following twee weeks he would whisper me saying how awesome his pet was, how strong the pet was in BG and that everyone was asking him where he got it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Literacy is everything. If they are (or come across as) illiterate, the chances of them being little ungrateful twats is much higher.
    Strike up a small conversation. If they respond in complete sentences, they're worth your time.
    This is TOTALLY true!

If they can't write HUMANLY chances are that they don't understand pretty much anything about the game either. I'm not exactly sure why this dependency exists but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeshort View Post
    I came across Logue'Narak (or whatever his name is), the rare awesome hunter spirit beast pet on my rogue. Could have gotten the achievement but I told several hunters that he was up, the only one responded had never heard about him or spirit beasts in general. I explained everything to him and how he needed to spec BM to tame him, and I waited (1 hour) there untill he arrived and tamed him. Didn't ask for anything.

In the following twee weeks he would whisper me saying how awesome his pet was, how strong the pet was in BG and that everyone was asking him where he got it.
    One more thing that I would've given reputation for if there was such an option in MMO-Champion.
    Last edited by mmocc01ba3aaab; 2012-12-19 at 02:25 PM.

I help the ones with no title. Back before the gear rewards in newbie zones, it was not uncommon to see Pallies in cloth, leather, and mail gear. Whatever dropped is what they wore at lvl 10 just to have some gear in that slot. Those were the newbies I helped. The ones who were genuinely trying and had no main toon. I remember Nov 2005 when I had no main, and my hunter was a hot mess. Someone else was nice enough to invite me to her guild, and showed me the ropes as she played a hunter too. Without that help, I would probably have left the game at the end of my 30 day freebie.

It's important to help those who wish to help themselves. I don't give handouts, I give hand ups. Instead of giving them gold, I run them through a Dungeon on FFA. Then they get a little boost as some free stuff to sell off the back of my mammoth at the end of the run. It's important to encourage those who really want to play, and ignore those who are just mouth breathers taking up space in Trade Chat or Goldshire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by controll View Post
    This is TOTALLY true!

If they can't write HUMANLY chances are that they don't understand pretty much anything about the game either. I'm not exactly sure why this dependency exists but it does.
    Yup.
    Since we've all been hanging out in Halfhill I'll make a farmer's statement:

Just watering dirt won't get you anything.
    Watering dirt will get you mud.
    There's gotta be a seed down there if you want something to grow.

I got this knack for meeting new players and them sticking to me. Just can't help it, I don't want to be the jerk.
    I NEVER give money though. One thing new players should learn (and the world :P) is to make money first before buying the shiny in the Auction House.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've spoken about it before...done a few nice things for people but generally I keep to myself in the game. I will answer trade-chat questions with personal whispers and detailed answers. Sometimes I get a thanks. Some times I don't, and I don't sweat it.

I've given gold to a few people (one who promised me he'd pay me back...never did but 10g isn't much) and spent 3k once on gearing up some poor frost DK who was just so awful I couldn't stand the embarrassment.