Poll: Who's your favorite?

10+ Year Old Account

Post [Comics] Marvel or DC? Favorite comic series and characters.

Just something I wanted to make out of boredom.

Which is your favorite company and why? What's your favorite series from that company? Which is your top 3 favorite heroes and villains from that series? If you picked DC, what is your favorite series from Marvel? Top 3 heroes and villains? If you picked Marvel what is your favorite series from DC? Top 3 heroes and villains? Who is your all time favorite hero/villain out of all of them regardless if you picked DC or Marvel?

For me it's:

Favorite company: DC comics/universe. I just like how DC's super heroes and they're powers are more epic and the cities are fictional. When it comes to video games, movies and comics, I have value the fact that it's made up, adds to the creativity. Don't get me wrong though I LOVE Stan Lee one of the most awesome and inspiring person out there.

Favorite series from DC: Batman

Top 3 heroes from DC:
    1.Batman
    2.Robin/Nightwing
    3.Green Lantern

Top 3 villains from DC:
    1. Joker
    2. Mr. Freeze
    3. Bane

Favorite series from Marvel: Spiderman

Top 3 heroes from Marvel
    1. Spiderman
    2. Wolverine
    3. Ironman

Top 3 villains from Marvel:
    1. Venom
    2. Carnage
    3. Mysterio

Favorite hero/villain of all time: Batman/Joker
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2012-12-19 at 01:21 AM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    For me it's:

Favorite company: Marvel in general, the majority of it's hero's are normal people put into extra ordinary situations.

Favorite series from Marvel: Wolverine

Top 3 heroes from Marvel:
    1. Wolverine
    2. Ghostrider
    3. Spiderman

1. Magneto
    2. Green Goblin
    3. Thanos

Top 3 heroes from DC
    1. Batman
    2. n/a
    3. n/a

Top 3 villains from DC:
    1. Joker
    2. scarecrow
    3. Ra's al Ghul

Favorite hero/villain of all time:

Tricky because I prefer independent comic books so in no particular order.

The Tick
    Spider Jerusalem
    Dr. Strange
    The Crow
    Spawn
    Judge Dredd
    Jesse Custer
    John Constantine
    Hellboy
    Rorschach
    Dream of the Endless
    Mister Majestic

Marvel in general but the best comic books I've read have been dc ones.

Fav dc heros

Batman
    Cyborg
    Flash

Dc villains
    Ras a ghul
    Joker
    Bane

Batman has the best villains I think

Fav marvel heros (this is trickier)

Iron Man
    Mr. Fantastic
    Thor

That's why I like marvel better I guess. I like that they have geeks and nerds running the show in terms of heros.

Fav Marvel Villains

Apocalypse
    Dr.Doom
    Mr.Sinister

Xmen had the better villains I think.

Overall though my fav comic books do not directly tie into the marvel or dc regular universes. Most of alan moores stuff is on that list. Watchman being the top one.

As a kid during the summer occasionally my parents would allow us to walk down to the local convenience store and allow us to buy comics. It's funny as this whole Marvel vs DC mentality went right over my head. I usually picked the one that looked good and bought that one. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, or The Hulk were some of my usual favorite ones. However, I just never got into comics fully so these last few years have been a treat for me getting to see the arcs played out in movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before I answer any of these, I just want to say I've never read any of the comics. All my knowledge and preferences are from the animated series and live action movies.

Favorite company: No preference.

Top 3 heroes from DC:
    1. Batman
    2. Flash
    3. Superman

Top 3 villains from DC:
    1. Joker
    2. Bane
    3. Lex Luthor

Favorite series from Marvel: X-Men

Top 3 heroes from Marvel
    1. Wolverine
    2. Nightcrawler
    3. Spiderman

1. Magneto
    2. Venom
    3. Sabretooth

Favorite hero/villain of all time: Batman/Joker (Honourable Mention to Wolverine/Sabretooth)

15+ Year Old Account
    Marvel for the sole reason that DC has Superman. I hate Superman with a passion. Mary Sueperman is what they should rename him with his seemingly endless toolkit of powers.

I prefer DC, overall, though I've enjoyed quite a bit of Marvel's stuff as well. Plus a lot of it has to do with who's writing the series at any given time, as well. I mean, I've read some awesome Spider-man arcs, and I've read some that made me wonder if the guy that did them got hired because he had photos of Stan Lee in bed with 2 transsexual hookers or something. And the same applies to Batman, Hulk, JLA, and every other comic series.

As for favorite characters, I dunno, there's so many I like.

DC:
    Maybe Batman, Martian Manhunter, and Flash. It's hard here, cause my fave DC books are teams-JLA and JSA.

Marvel:
    Spiderman, Hulk...can I count the Fantastic Four as 1 pick? If not, I guess I'll pick The Thing.

As for villains, again, too many good ones. Maybe...

DC:
    Darkseid, Joker, Lex Luthor

Marvel:
    Venom, Deadpool, Juggernaut

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 02:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    For me it's:

Tricky because I prefer independent comic books so in no particular order.

The Tick
    Spider Jerusalem
    Dr. Strange
    The Crow
    Spawn
    Judge Dredd
    Jesse Custer
    John Constantine
    Hellboy
    Rorschach
    Dream of the Endless
    Mister Majestic
    Uhh, how do you define independent? Jesse Custer, Dream of the Endless, and John Constantine are all from DC's Vertigo lineup of titles. If you mean independent from the major DC "continuity" I guess they count, but they are still DC. For that matter, Rorschach is too, cause Watchmen is also released by DC, though again, it's just not part of the regular DC universe(OR the Vertigo universe). And Doctor Strange is definitely Marvel, unless someone jacked the name and Marvel amazingly DIDN'T sue for copyright infringement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I DC's Vertigo lineup of titles.
    Just because DC bought Vertigo and Wildstorm doesn't mean those are DC stories. Granted since DC took over they are merging these properties into dc pretty much killing the things that made them good. I don't want a Sandman Batman crossover.

Just because DC bought Vertigo and Wildstorm doesn't mean those are DC stories. Granted since DC took over they are merging these properties into dc pretty much killing the things that made them good. I don't want a Sandman Batman crossover.
    LOL, dude, learn your comics history, Vertigo has fucking ALWAYS been DC. They didn't "buy" Vertigo, they fucking INVENTED it. Preacher issue ONE? DC. Sandman, issue 1? DC. And I never mentioned Wildstorm(which was actually part of Image) so I dunno why you brought them up at all.

Here you go, history of Vertigo:
    "Vertigo originated in 1993 under the stewardship of Karen Berger, a Brooklyn College graduate[5] with a degree in English Literature and a minor in Art History,[6] who had joined DC Comics in 1979 as an assistant to editor Paul Levitz, debuting with House of Mystery #292 after a Sgt. Rock reprint collection. In the final issue of House of Mystery, #323, she was depicted in the comics as personally evicting Cain from the House. Ironically, as condescending as she was portrayed treating him, she was instrumental in the character's continued development at DC. By the mid-1980s, Berger, then editor of such DC titles as Wonder Woman and Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, began assigning writers from the UK. These included Neil Gaiman, whom she met in 1987 on a talent-scouting trip,[5] as well as Peter Milligan and Grant Morrison.[5] She "found their sensibility and point of view to be refreshingly different, edgier and smarter" than those of most American comics writers,[5] and worked with them and others on the superhero/science fiction series Animal Man, Doom Patrol vol. 2, and Shade, the Changing Man vol. 2; the Black Orchid miniseries (Neil Gaiman's first work for DC),[7] the fantasy series The Sandman vol. 2, and the horror titles Hellblazer and The Saga of the Swamp Thing,[8] that last written by Alan Moore, a British writer inherited from previous editor Len Wein.

These seven titles, all of which carried a "Suggested for Mature Readers" label on their covers,[9] and shared a sophistication-driven sensibility the fan press dubbed "the Bergerverse,[6] would form the initial basis of Vertigo. In a 1993 editorial meeting with Berger, Levitz, DC publisher Jenette Kahn and managing editor Dick Giordano, Berger was given the mandate to place these titles under an imprint that, as Berger described, would "do something different in comics and help the medium 'grow up'".[6] Several DC titles bearing the label, such as Green Arrow, which had it from vol. 2, #1 (February 1988)-#63 (Late June 1992), were not allowed to make the leap to the new imprint.[10] The Question had borne the label from issue #8 (September 1987) to its cancellation in Spring 1992, and also never became a Vertigo title. Other "suggested for mature readers" titles to pre-date Vertigo include Vigilante, Haywire, and Skreemer, and miniseries and one-shots such as Gilgamesh II, Tailgunner Jo, World Without End, Mister E, and Batman: The Killing Joke. These mature readers comics, both those that became Vertigo and those that did not, often had the DC bullet printed in a smaller than usual size."

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Favorite series from Marvel: Moonknight

Top 3 heroes from Marvel
    1. Moonknight
    2. Cable
    3. Cpt.America

1. Carnage
    2. apocalypse
    3. Bullseye

No DC for me.

Marvel: Frank Miller's version of the Daredevil

I'm not keen on the old Normal>Accident>Superpowers! characters. It's a little too samey. Rather have Batman or Rorschach than a Spiderman or Hulk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Favorite company: DC comics/Vertigo/Wildstorm. I also like the "larger then life' heroes in DC, even though they make them seem too invulnerable with few weaknesses, or real corny ones....but they are just more classic heroes and I enjoy their stories more, work better in a team as well IMO. Also, especially when it comes to animated shows and movies DC has way better stuff. They also have really good independent labels like Vertigo with some amazing titles.

Top 3 heroes from DC:
    1.Batman
    2.Flash
    3.Animal Man

Top 3 villains from DC:
    1. Two Face
    2. Joker
    3. Deathstroke

Favorite series from Marvel: Daredevil

Top 3 heroes from Marvel
    1. Nightcrawler (My personal all time fav, too bad he never gets much character development or stories in the comics and they made him a lame ass religious and preachy priest instead of the daredevil swashbuckler he used to be known as)
    2. Cable
    3. Daredevil

1. Magneto
    2. Dr Doom
    3. Venom

Favorite hero/villain of all time: Batman/Two Face (Joker is a more classic nemesis, but I like Two Face better personally....)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    LOL, dude, learn your comics history, Vertigo has fucking ALWAYS been DC. They didn't "buy" Vertigo, they fucking INVENTED it. Preacher issue ONE? DC. Sandman, issue 1? DC. And I never mentioned Wildstorm(which was actually part of Image) so I dunno why you brought them up at all.
    Nice wiki look up, with the new reboots and the profitability of the movies DC has taken an active roll in Vertigo, in the past they where a separate entity under DC. Your wiki will not convey this, also I mentioned Wildstorm which Jim Lee sold to DC Comics in 1999.

Vertigo has never been DC in look, feel, story, content, art, or universes until the recent reboots. Also as a matter of legality in the US and to avoid litigation DC and Vertigo are separate entities under DC Publishing I know this sounds odd, But DC owned DC and Vertigo but DC did not own Vertigo. Because DC is a corporation which has several divisions which are separate. About 2 years ago the Comic book portion of DC took over the Vertigo Studio as a part of the same division. Partially because they were planning the reboot and they wanted all the artists and writers under one roof. The side effect is Vertigo is now fully functioning as DC which it didn't in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of the Batman universe I never cared that much for DC. Superman is way too powerful with only have one real flaw and the stories don't tend to be as deep as Batman. The Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Aqua Man just don't do it for me. Their stories are not as interested for me. Even the art style doesn't appeal to me.

Deleted
    Marvel. Mainly because of Ironman. Love that hero

Marvel & Spidey.

Of course, after One More Day everything has been unreadable garbage.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

Nice wiki look up, with the new reboots and the profitability of the movies DC has taken an active roll in Vertigo, in the past they where a separate entity under DC. Your wiki will not convey this, also I mentioned Wildstorm which Jim Lee sold to DC Comics in 1999.

Vertigo has never been DC in look, feel, story, content, art, or universes until the recent reboots. Also as a matter of legality in the US and to avoid litigation DC and Vertigo are separate entities under DC Publishing I know this sounds odd, But DC owned DC and Vertigo but DC did not own Vertigo. Because DC is a corporation which has several divisions which are separate. About 2 years ago the Comic book portion of DC took over the Vertigo Studio as a part of the same division. Partially because they were planning the reboot and they wanted all the artists and writers under one roof. The side effect is Vertigo is now fully functioning as DC which it didn't in the past.
    I know Lee sold Wildstorm, but I never mentioned Wildstorm so there was no reason to bring it up in regards to me. And regardless of rather they were part of mainstream DC continuity, Vertigo has ALWAYS been a DC comics line. It wasn't really the SAME line as Batman or Superman(and you are mistaken-there were *rare* crossover appearances, even back in the day before the recent reboots, just very, very uncommon, and only a very few characters) but it was still DC, not an independent company. Even in a separate division, it's still part of DC, and still has the DC logo clearly printed on the cover.

Didn't DC recently "steal" some characters off their Vertigo books and move them into the DC Universe? Also they got rid of Karen Berger, who had long been the executive editor of the Vertigo imprint... she was one of the main reasons for the success of that line.

I doubt Vertigo will survive much longer, which is sad news for everyone who wants to read something other than lame superhero books.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Didn't DC recently "steal" some characters off their Vertigo books and move them into the DC Universe?
    Yes. They've actually had interaction in the past, but it was always kept to a minimum. I know Morpheus and Swamp Thing both showed up in the "proper" DC universe long before the recent "New 52" reboots, but it was always a really rare occurence, and a lot of the characters(Jesse Custer for example) never showed up at all.