Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    One thing I don't get...

Just cause the proxy IP is located in the US (sneaky bastards) doesn't automatically mean that someone didn't decide to be smart and run a proxy close to your IP (which means someone knows your IP) and then hack your account.

Unless I'm completely mistaken and you're the one who's behind a proxy, in that case you're kinda boned...
    I can tell you for sure I didn't do it or had someone I knew do it or any other kind of knowledge to this. If people don't believe me, not my problem.

Useless.

Learn how to use a PC and the internet.

Anyone and everyone whoever had a compromised account deserves it.

Ignorant scrubs.

Played since BETA, no authenticator and never had an issue. Again learn to use a PC and the internet, gl.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnx- View Post
    Thread isn't made to solve the problem anyway, wrote already the account is lost. Tried for 9 days to get it back.
    So, what's the point of the thread then?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Stuff
    Unfortunately all I got out of your post is tl;dr if someone REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to get your account, they will get it. How is this news? That still doesn't make the authenticator useless. That's like saying locks are useless because if someone really wants into your home they will break your door.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread isn't made to solve the problem anyway, wrote already the account is lost. Tried for 9 days to get it back.
    I am aware. My first post simply stated that you're making a blanket statement based on a case that <.1% of the playerbase will experience. You mentioned not being able to prove that you were not on and I simply replied in the way I interpreted it. Long story short, the existence of the thread is pointless as evidence that authenticators are useless and seems more like whining or garnering pity.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 06:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    My point exactly.

I can tell you for sure I didn't do it or had someone I knew do it or any other kind of knowledge to this. If people don't believe me, not my problem.
    Never said I didn't believe you, just was a curious thought regarding Blizzards behavior and a possible need for some clarification on the information you provided.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Never said I didn't believe you, just was a curious thought regarding Blizzards behavior and a possible need for some clarification on the information you provided.
    I can only provide with the limited information Blizzard want to give me, took them 9 days to even tell me another ip had used my account.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 07:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dekay View Post
    I am aware. My first post simply stated that you're making a blanket statement based on a case that <.1% of the playerbase will experience. You mentioned not being able to prove that you were not on and I simply replied in the way I interpreted it. Long story short, the existence of the thread is pointless as evidence that authenticators are useless and seems more like whining or garnering pity.
    Headline got a question mark, if you don't find it useless that's your option and you can have that if you want. In my case it was useless to have one, doesn't mean it is in general.
    Last edited by mmoce994820d54; 2012-12-19 at 06:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Headline got a question mark, if you don't find it useless that's your option and you can have that if you want. In my case it was useless to have one, doesn't mean it is in general.
    Yes it has a question mark, that means I'm totally wrong about you making a blanket statement. You're just asking people to agree that your blanket statement is true, which is TOTALLY different from making a blanket statement.

/end sarcasm

Just because there's a question mark does not mean that you are not actually making the statement. Here's how these questions work: You make a statement that you feel is true, you ask other people to agree. Therefore by making a completely exaggerated statement and asking people to agree, the thread is pointless because there is no factual evidence to support your claim the they are useless. They are not perfect, but they are far from useless.

I moved house, changed ISPs, changed modem, logged in with my authenticator and it worked, no block. Although it started prompting me for the code every login for a while. My new house was in the same suburb though...

Authenticators are far from useless, almost every single person I know without one has been hacked. Nobody I know with one has been. Every time you see someone saying they were hacked, ask them if they have an authenticator. They are still vulnerable to some forms of hacking, for example a man in the middle attack, however most of those methods require the hacker to either be specifically targeting you or operating within a very limited time frame around the point when your account is compromised, those situations are pretty rare. Vast majority of compromised accounts are just from blanket phishing/malware/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It's definitely not useless, but it also has its flaws. Tbh I don't think cases like yours happen very often at all, so for 99% of regular hacking attempts the authenticator works well enough.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
    Useless.

Learn how to use a PC and the internet.

Anyone and everyone whoever had a compromised account deserves it.

Ignorant scrubs.

Played since BETA, no authenticator and never had an issue. Again learn to use a PC and the internet, gl.
    And then one day your kid brother uses your computer when you're not around and bam, malware.

I've known a lot of people with your attitude and most of them eventually got hacked. They act so shocked!

I ran a computer for like a decade with no antivirus or malware software on it at all and never got anything. And I visited some terrible sites on the net. Only thing I didn't do was click random executables in emails, other than that no protection whatsoever. But I was mostly just lucky really, a compromised system can happen to anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's stop the baiting and actually post on topic instead of accusations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I moved house, changed ISPs, changed modem, logged in with my authenticator and it worked, no block. Although it started prompting me for the code every login for a while. My new house was in the same suburb though...

Authenticators are far from useless, almost every single person I know without one has been hacked. Nobody I know with one has been. Every time you see someone saying they were hacked, ask them if they have an authenticator. They are still vulnerable to some forms of hacking, for example a man in the middle attack, however most of those methods require the hacker to either be specifically targeting you or operating within a very limited time frame around the point when your account is compromised, those situations are pretty rare. Vast majority of compromised accounts are just from blanket phishing/malware/etc.
    This is exactly what I mean, finally someone who give his own option the right way. Middle man was the same word Blizzard used for it, witch is pretty much the person who in this case do the "dirty job"

"So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

And then one day your kid brother uses your computer when you're not around and bam, malware.

I've known a lot of people with your attitude and most of them eventually got hacked. They act so shocked!

I ran a computer for like a decade with no antivirus or malware software on it at all and never got anything. And I visited some terrible sites on the net. Only thing I didn't do was click random executables in emails, other than that no protection whatsoever. But I was mostly just lucky really, a compromised system can happen to anyone.
    Or, I have a password.

You obviously don't know as much as I. Ignorance is bliss. and is why you'll continue to get owned by the oh, so scary internets.

Let me sum up what I tried to say earlier, since you're not so intelligent.

EDUCATE YOURSELVES. THEN USE A PC AND THE INTERNET. GL.

Or... Don't. Become compromised... It's your own fault for not educating yourself, you deserve it.

EDIT: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Just proved my point that you don't know shit with this. - "And I visited some terrible sites on the net."

Infracted
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-12-19 at 07:16 AM.

This is exactly what I mean, finally someone who give his own option the right way. Middle man was the same word Blizzard used for it, witch is pretty much the person who in this case do the "dirty job"
    I'm not an expert on hacking but as I understand it man in the middle attacks are where the information you're sending to Blizzard is intercepted en route. So you punch in your username and password and auth code, but instead of them going to Blizzard they're intercepted and the hacker (who has to be doing this more or less live due to the temporary nature of auth codes) uses that info to log in instead.

The main advantage of an authenticator is that it's on a physically isolated device - the little dongle or your phone - so even if your computer is compromised the authenticator is still clean. But a man in the middle attack captures your data after it has already been sent through the internet so that gets around that property of the authenticator.

However man in the middle attacks are obviously a lot more involved than your average malware virus. In fact, because there are so many unsecured WoW accounts which are so easily compromised en masse there's little incentive for a hacker to go to all the trouble of a man in the middle attack. Why bother? Also, hacking only really pays off in large volumes, spending all day hacking an account or two is not very profitable.

Why not take your WoW account instead? if the things in your sig are correct then your WoW account should be worth more than anything thats on the account of a game that not many people care about these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
    Or, I have a password.

You obviously don't know as much as I. Ignorance is bliss. and is why you'll continue to get owned by the oh, so scary internets.

Let me sum up what I tried to say earlier, since you're not so intelligent.

EDUCATE YOURSELVES. THEN USE A PC AND THE INTERNET. GL.

Or... Don't. Become compromised... It's your own fault for not educating yourself, you deserve it.

EDIT: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Just proved my point that you don't know shit with this. - "And I visited some terrible sites on the net."
    Yeah because a password is bulletproof protection against being hacked or getting malware. Haha.

You clearly enjoy gloating about how much more ignorant than you everyone else is, my advice is that if you want to continue to do that you should get some education on the matter yourself so your own ignorance is not so obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumocolor View Post
    Why not take your WoW account instead? if the things in your sig are correct then your WoW account should be worth more than anything thats on the account of a game that not many people care about these days.
    Because good diablo items can be sold for cash directly via official means. Wow requires converting most of it to gold (due to soul binding) and then selling that gold on third party sites. Selling diablo items is easier.

Yeah because a password is bulletproof protection against being hacked or getting malware. Haha.

You clearly enjoy gloating about how much more ignorant than you everyone else is, my advice is that if you want to continue to do that you should get some education on the matter yourself so your own ignorance is not so obvious.
    The password, was in reference to him stating someone in my home would access my PC when I'm not around and get Malware on my system. Read harder next time. You're already not intelligent enough to argue with me.

Good effing job.

Try again.

EDIT: Also. No one just simply gets "hacked."

Not 1 professional hacker, will single out any WoW or other video game player and take their information. The level of skills to do that, they'd be better off frying bigger fish.

You kids who get compromised are not being "hacked."

You are sharing information. Whether the people you share with are legit, that's fine but is their system safe? Keep that in mind.

You are surfing bad websites.

You are falling for phishing scams and clicking bad things.

Again, it's your own fault.

No one is being singled out and hacked. None of you are that important, knock it off.
    Last edited by Infliction; 2012-12-19 at 07:21 AM.