10+ Year Old Account

How to make money with skinning ?

So I have skinning maxed on my level 90 toon . The problem is that on my realm stacks of exotic leather sell usually for about 30-35 gold a stack ..it sucks !! Now in cata I would just sit there in tol barad and collect skins other people would kill for some fast free cash while I wait for que's to pop ...im doing the same thing in MOP but the difference is that skinning in cata would land me about 80-100 gold a stack and it always sold ...in MOP if I post a stack of leather over 35 gold ..it will not sell no matter how many times I relist ..

Anybody have any tips on how to make gold with skinning or should I just spend that time getting herbs which I have maxed also ....dang it why didnt I leveling mining with herbs >.<

Skin old content mats. Many don't do it, so you can probably sell stacks for a good price.

10+ Year Old Account
    good idea....any clue which type sell well ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are the skins selling for so low now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Why are the skins selling for so low now?
    Good question ...maybe bots who skin all day and night ? Uhhh not a lot of people who have LW on my realm or a craft which needs skins ? ...Not sure

Go skin Heavy Leather.
    Anyone who levels LW hates the Heavy Leather part.
    Savage Leather, Borean Leather, and Knothide Leather probably sell well.

Go here: https://theunderminejournal.com/

Choose your server and faction and search to see what the different types of leather are selling for. Go skin whatever drops the kind that sells for the most. Profit.

Deleted
    skinning old school leather certainly gets you a good amount of gold, however, the market for it is very slim. vanilla, tbc, wotlk and cataclysm leather are pretty much only good for leveling nowadays and once youre done with one type of leather you dont need it anymore. this means once you have a "customer" for one type of leather you have him one time and never again. if you farm the current leather and scales you will have players buying it over and over again probably for a cheaper price but you will sell a lot more.
    so if you really want to make gold off of old school leather then in my opinion you need to farm all types of leather, not just the heavy leather. the problem with that is that you will have to switch farm spots all the time and you will have to travel quite a bit for that :<

TBH, I'd save your leather for the next arena season when all the PvP crafting patterns will be automatically increased in item level. Course this will only last a week at most but it'll probably be similar to first week or two of MoP where 450 crafted gear was going for 500g - 1k g, which is a nice turnover for 50 leather or whatnot.

As for old skinning mats, I only know good places for two types.

Rugged Leather = Onyxia's Lair. The guards still skin to about 15-20 Rugged Leather each, though sometimes you'll get Rugged Hide.
    Savage Leather = Lost City of the Tol'Vir (tigers at the enrance) and the animals in Zul'Gurub. Both have the advantage in that you don't have to kill any bosses, so after you've done what you wanted in there just exit and reset.

Do Magnificent Hides sell for 50x the price of 1 Leather? If it goes for higher, find a LW and turn it all into Hides.

10+ Year Old Account
    current leather sells for so little, because inspite of needing so many skins to get one magnificent hide.. getting 50 skins is horribly easy. blizz has tried to counter this by making many of the daily mobs that you used to be able to skin, no longer skinnable. the price may go up a bit once people are done with dailies/leveling for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahdik View Post
    Do Magnificent Hides sell for 50x the price of 1 Leather? If it goes for higher, find a LW and turn it all into Hides.
    yeah nice idea

Deleted
    Find a good farming spot

Skins are likely to go up in next 2-3 weeks. Many players skinned the shit out of some mobs in certain places (my favourite was in Dread Wastes, killing hundred or so scorpions at once and just skinning, skinning, skinning). In 5.1 most of those easy skinning machines are no longer skinnable tho. Just wait until all the easy skin is sold and the market will be back at its finest.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    find a leatherworking to make you some leg armor and sell that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Skin old content mats. Many don't do it, so you can probably sell stacks for a good price.
    This, many just hunt straight for the new content mobs.