Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Green Fire: For those determined or fortunate enough (?)

There have been many threads about green fire, however this one focuses on forming speculations about what would the "catch" be in order to be qualified to start the quest-line.

From my point of view, I welcome any challenge that does not involve raiding, pvp or gold. What are your thoughts on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think any warlock can start the chain

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    From my point of view, I welcome any challenge that does not involve raiding, pvp or gold. What are your thoughts on this?
    My thoughts are that your conditions severely limit what challenge they can deliver, I guess they could offer a solo quest akin to the Firelands legendary, but it would be hard to tune it to be challenging if they can't presume people have raid gear.

Personally, I'd like it to be a BOE, relatively random raid drop (perhaps with an even lower drop rate from some open world rares like the Brawlers invite, but make it BOP from them so none-warlocks aren't hogging the kills?). That way it would work kinda like the IC 5man hilt, raiders can get it via raiding, none-raiders can pick it up from the AH as guilds who get surplus sell it on, or go farm the rares for their drop.

I wouldn't mind seeing it made a drop from challenge modes either, but I don't think it should be something that every warlock has.

First of all lets start from this. It is a feat that raiders, pvpers and most of all RPers would kill to have. Therefore, something like farming is an activity that under certain conditions, may prove to be challenging in terms of patiences or RNG based (fortunate) given taht there are rare drops that grant certain effects.

My worst case scenario would be to be a boss drop in non-lfr modes of the new raid especially if it involves the heroic only last boss which would be extremely punishing. That is mostly because I'd hate it to have to be involved into raiding schedules in order to have a long awaited vanity reward.

I don't think it'll be as limited as a legendary in availability but I still doubt it'll just involve walking up to an NPC to pick up the starting quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope it's not gold related in anyway...I've got 300k locked up in shuffling and because of my server I don't really expect to get much of it back for months. Maybe in time for 5.2, maybe not. What I left myself with I need for all the OCD gear changes, reforging, regemming, respeccing, etc that I do so constantly. And to fund my alts.
    ...Maybe I'm just making excuses though. I just hate being forced to pay for something that should be baseline for all 'locks.

Personally, I think the book is tied to Durumu the Forgotten, an upcoming Beholder boss from the Throne of Thunder.

My line of thinking is that warlocks from before the Sundering made their way into Pandaria, when the lands of Azeroth were whole. These warlocks may have attempted to align themselves with the Mogu or the Zandalari - possibly Lei Shen himself - and brought secrets of fel magics with them. Because the Mogu are not known for toleration of "lesser races," they may have possibly done away with these warlocks when their presence was no longer a benefit to them, and the ancient methods of demon magic they brought with them was lost to time.

Durumu, however, is probably a remaining survivor of those warlocks, and has been inhabiting part of the Throne of Thunder for countless years, as he may not be able to escape to the Twisting Nether, or wherever it is he came from. He may, however, also carry with him remnants of what those warlocks knew all those years ago - The Codex of Xerrath. The Council of the Black Harvest, who we know has been trying desperately to unlock the deepest secrets of their craft, would want more than anything to come across these lost techniques, and that would be the reason this tome is the beginning of our quest to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I really hope it's not gold related in anyway...I've got 300k locked up in shuffling and because of my server I don't really expect to get much of it back for months. Maybe in time for 5.2, maybe not. What I left myself with I need for all the OCD gear changes, reforging, regemming, respeccing, etc that I do so constantly. And to fund my alts.
    ...Maybe I'm just making excuses though. I just hate being forced to pay for something that should be baseline for all 'locks.
    The bad thing is that it will most likely have a baseline availability from next expansion onward and that may be the reason they make it super hard to get on 5.2 :/

No, no random drops that favors hardcore PvE players. It should be a solo progression type that requires the same amount of effort, no matter what you do. Having it as a raid-drop would suck badly. Even having it as BoE sucks. Making it a random drop would be somewhat annoying but it's better than the former options.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    No, no random drops that favors hardcore PvE players. It should be a solo progression type that requires the same amount of effort, no matter what you do. Having it as a raid-drop would suck badly. Even having it as BoE sucks. Making it a random drop would be somewhat annoying but it's better than the former options.
    Agreed on everything. By the way, seeing your name reminds me that the only normal looking flame I would like to have on my lock might be phoenix flame. Apart from that, I yearn for fel/shadow/sha flames

10+ Year Old Account
    The bad thing is that it will most likely have a baseline availability from next expansion onward and that may be the reason they make it super hard to get on 5.2 :/
    I could see it. I'm very worried that they are planning on doing just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis
    Agreed here. They should do it similar to the legendary dagger quests for Rogues (minus the raid drops, obviously). It was a lot of fun to sneak around solo and have to do a lot of solo content.

Agreed on everything. By the way, seeing your name reminds me that the only normal looking flame I would like to have on my lock might be phoenix flame. Apart from that, I yearn for fel/shadow/sha flames

I've been motioning for a phoenix flame for Blood Elves as a racial, as well as an extra ability for warlocks seeing as we're tapping into Blood Magic :3

If nothing has changed, I recall requiring a healthstone to BIND it to you, which probably means its BoE. I can see a lot of luck involved as well as extreme prices on AH by those non-warlocks who may exploit our urge to get it by selling it for insane prices.

The Sealed Tome of the Lost Legion (the item that spawns the codex - http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=92426) IS currently BOE.

As for availability; I personally think it will be an uncommon drop from the new world bosses. If that's not the case then I would expect it to be a random world drop in pandaria. It's unlikely to be restricted to raiders.

I severely doubt it will appear on the black market.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-01-04 at 10:47 PM.

Is there some reason this just shouldn't be a minor glyph instead of getting this much fanfare? It's a reskin of a few spells, how is it different that travel form or ghostwolf glyphing? Considering we all play Aff for raids, and demo has only SoulFire/Hellfire that are fire spells, most people won't even see green fire. It just seems like sooooooooooo much effort for such a minor thing.

Wish they spent the time/effort developing a custom quest chain on rebalancing us for pvp, or buffing destro numbers, or w/e. Personal pref I guess, but just seems like a ton of overkill for such a minor detail that is a simple reskin.

In the past they said the glyph system wouldn't work for green fire, I assume that maybe a glyph can only impact one spell at a time? They never clarified why, just that it wouldn't.

Quest designers don't do numbers balance, so that really doesn't impact those systems.

I'm excited for some warlock specific lore and fun, not everything has to be about spreadsheets.

Based on what they said, I'm willing to bet it'll either be a BMAH item (fortunate) or a super rare drop (determination).

Personally, I hate both ideas, because I hate the idea of having to blow every penny I've saved up for a cosmetic change that I really really want, but even more I hate the idea of farming for day after day, week after week, hoping a random number pops up. It doesn't seem very fair.

I'd like to see it be an easy to start quest that is long and difficult to do. Everyone who wants to do it, should be able to.

There have been many threads about green fire, however this one focuses on forming speculations about what would the "catch" be in order to be qualified to start the quest-line.

It will be something that looks cool that anyone can do. It will be nothing at all like the brawlers guild. Everyone who wants green fire can have it. Let's squash the conspiracy.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wispur View Post
    Based on what they said, I'm willing to bet it'll either be a BMAH item (fortunate) or a super rare drop (determination).

Personally, I hate both ideas, because I hate the idea of having to blow every penny I've saved up for a cosmetic change that I really really want, but even more I hate the idea of farming for day after day, week after week, hoping a random number pops up. It doesn't seem very fair.

I'd like to see it be an easy to start quest that is long and difficult to do. Everyone who wants to do it, should be able to.
    This will be the furthest thing from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wispur View Post
    This. If you've got the skills, then you deserve it. Maybe implement a small grind after you get the quest that doesn't require you to go poor. Making you farm stupid mobs for an eternity though is stupid. I'd rather farm 100 of X if it is going to drop off each corpse rather than farm something that has a 5% chance of dropping off of a corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillicis View Post
    I think any warlock can start the chain
    I hope any loc can get it.

(off topic) Sorry dude, according to your sig, i'm winning here.