Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for Dark/Hellish Themed Games

I grew up as a PC gamer in the 90's, and much of my fond childhood memories involved slaying hordes of demons in hellish environments from the likes of Heretic, Hexen, and, to a lesser degree due to its spacey influences, Doom. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any more recent games (preferably PC games as my only currently-functioning console is my Wii) with similar atmospheres, but not necessarily similar gameplay. Particularly, I'm looking more into adventure games - Amnesia kinda got me hooked on that genre again. Also, nothing with obvious Asian/Anime style. Nothing against the people that enjoy that art style, I just can't get into it. Looking for something more realistic, with a dark, gritty, possibly even grotesque, hell-like environment that I can really get immersed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, anyone know if there's an easier way to browse specifically for "old school" games on steam without searching for a title specifically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are refering to old school fps... maybe blood, i dont know if it was quite known in the USA, the only way i knew about it was by a friend who bought this game on a trip to USA when he was young (like 12+ years ago lol)

Consider Darksiders 1 and 2. You really can't get too much more "hellish" than the End War being started ahead of schedule, Hell winning the war, and the Four Horseman trying to unbreak everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalahn View Post
    Consider Darksiders 1 and 2. You really can't get too much more "hellish" than the End War being started ahead of schedule, Hell winning the war, and the Four Horseman trying to unbreak everything.
    Was just about to suggest this, but you beat me to it. Very fun games, particularly the second one. You can get the first Darksiders game with the Humble THQ Bundle that is taking place right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Khalahn View Post
    Was also just about to suggest this XD. Darksiders and Darksiders 2 are awesome games!

Can't really think of much else, Dark Messiah Might and Magic is while a teeny bit older, has some dark elements to it.

Oh and I guess any of the Silent hill games would count as well.

While I do like Darksiders, it's by no means realistic, dark or gritty.
    If you liked Amnesia, you could try Penumbra by the same publisher, and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Ariakan View Post
    If you liked Amnesia, you could try Penumbra by the same publisher, and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
    Realistic? eh not so much

Dark And gritty? Very much so! How is it not!? The world is destroyed, humanity is but walking mutilated corpses, you stride in a world filled with undead and demons slaughtering them and drenching everything in blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariakan View Post
    I wholeheartedly DO NOT recommend Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth. The game is utterly unplayable, as there are more game breaking bugs and crashes than you can shake a stick at. It's literally impossible to beat the game without using external programs to skip certain sections.

Seeing as you have a Wii, grab a copy of Eternal Darkness : Sanity's Requiem along with a Gamecube controller and memory card. Dark, gritty, and demented.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eternal Darkness is definitely a game I would recommend. And for FPS games, I would agree with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It definitely has a more adult feel to it, and its got the dark, gothic elements in its design. Also, Metro 2033 features an apocalyptic Russia filled with hordes of beasts that seem like they just crawled up from hell. And as it happens, if you like the game's official facebook pages (https://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame?fref=ts), you'll get a free copy for Steam.

One of my favorite games is American McGee's Alice. It's got a fantastic dark and demented world, and one of the best soundtracks of any game. I haven't completed the sequel, Alice: Madness Returns, due to finals, but from what I've played its been great also. (Though the soundtrack doesn't come close to the first game.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerilius View Post
    Eternal Darkness is definitely a game I would recommend. And for FPS games, I would agree with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It definitely has a more adult feel to it, and its got the dark, gothic elements in its design. Also, Metro 2033 features an apocalyptic Russia filled with hordes of beasts that seem like they just crawled up from hell. And as it happens, if you like the game's official facebook pages (https://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame?fref=ts), you'll get a free copy for Steam.

One of my favorite games is American McGee's Alice. It's got a fantastic dark and demented world, and one of the best soundtracks of any game. I haven't completed the sequel, Alice: Madness Returns, due to finals, but from what I've played its been great also. (Though the soundtrack doesn't come close to the first game.)

speaking of Metro 2033

Both it and darksiders are available in the humble bundle for the low price of 1$ XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls!
    The world is fucked and full of undead and crazy people!

or if you have a PS3
    Demon's Souls!
    The world is more fucked and full of crazy people!

10+ Year Old Account
    Clive Barker's Jericho has exactly what you need. At least design-wise. Honestly, I wasn't able to finish it because the gameplay was too repetitive and dull. But monsters and levels look like what you'd expect from Clive Barker.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. You probably already played it, but since no one mentioned it in this thread yet - Painkiller. Really great shooter.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can also recommend Clive Barker's Jericho. I've actually played through it several times. Its a tough and fairly bare-bones game, but it is super dark and twisted. One of my favorite things though is the squad of characters you play as (as psychics with varying abilities) and their banter throughout.

The Darkness is another option that I found very dark and twisted. Its somewhat short, but also very cheap these days. It also has a really good story and fun gameplay.

Doom 3 was just re-released, and that could be another option. Doom 3 is one of my favorite FPS games due to story, level design, and gameplay that scratches right where I itch.

Alan Wake might be another interesting choice. I'm not sure if its exactly what you're looking for, but its more of a psychological hell than physical one. Still, the story and narration are well done, plus the gameplay isn't bad.

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a strange bird. Its REALLY tough, and some is from level design and the rest is from terrible controls and/or bugs. Oddly enough, I also really enjoyed it because the ambience and danger (your character dies really fast) are really unique. Also, managing your injuries (they occur specific to where you take damage and have to be repaired as such) while also maintaining your sanity is an interesting endeavor. Overall, the story is a long slow fall into hell/oblivion.

Dark Souls is an amazing game, but I'm not sure if its what you're looking for. The world is bleak and dead, but its not exactly hellish.

Lastly, I haven't played Eternal Darkness but I've heard and seen great things about it. Specifically, it messes with your mind and makes you wonder if what you're seeing on the screen is reality.

I am quite fond of Eternal Darkness. =D
    The issue I have with Darksiders is that the environments are more post-apocalyptic, and I'm looking for something more like hell has spilled out into the world, though it's definitely on my to-play list.

I've really been wanting to check out Shadows of the Damned, even though it has an over-the-top, comedic tone to it, the little bit I played at a friends house a while back seems to have nailed the environments.

I know it seems silly, but I'm more interested in the environments. I'm kind of going through a renewed hell-obsession phase, as cliche as it may be. Amusingly enough, though, I'm kind of reliving my 90's experience a lot, lately.

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 02:36 PM ----------

Oh, while we're on the subject, if anyone hasn't played Condemned: Criminal Origins, it's a pretty solid psychological thriller game that it doesn't seem like many have given a shot. Condemned 2 wasn't bad either, but it's more action-based and shooter-like, though the psychological aspect is ramped up a little bit with hallucinations.

But the first one was amazing.
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    i'd suggest Darkness 1 and 2, there's something satisfying about ripping a spine out through the ass then pulling your victim apart in 2 pieces blood flying everywhere

Fear 1 and 2 are also pretty good, the 3rd game isn't as good since the horror parts are limited.Clive Barker's Jericho also and Dark Souls and Demon Souls.
    Last edited by mmoc3d0d8f98f7; 2012-12-12 at 03:17 PM.

The Secret World has darkness and grit and even a few dungeons that actually take place in Hell. It just went buy-to-play this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    The Secret World has darkness and grit and even a few dungeons that actually take place in Hell. It just went buy-to-play this morning.
    Seriously? No sub? Sweet. I played the beta, and I liked it, but not enough to pay a monthly sub for.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Seriously? No sub? Sweet. I played the beta, and I liked it, but not enough to pay a monthly sub for.
    Still gotta buy the box, but you could probably find some deals on it. I bought a copy for my brother for $20 on Amazon. Woot for great timing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewan View Post
    speaking of Metro 2033

Both it and darksiders are available in the humble bundle for the low price of 1$ XD
    *cough* Metro 2033 is now free if you like it on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    *cough* Metro 2033 is now free if you like it on facebook.
    That's pretty awesome that they did that. I was interested in it but gotta cut back on the games spending!