Thread: mage/lock

Deleted

mage/lock

Hey guys, I don't know whats going on with arena junkies these days, seems to never get updates anymore. Very old content.

Basically I want to know is mage and a lock is a good 2v2 setup in arena?

I oonly ask this as I play with my friend who is a friend and wed obviously like to get decent.

At moment I'd happily agree we don't know what we're doing to work together. Yes we have sheep. We have fear but they seem to break so easily, plus were new together but not stupid.

As the lock I'm always the target so I'm getting nuked from the start. All I can physically do is pop my defensive talents and cooldowns to survive as long as possible.

There is a lot of cc and absorb crap going on with nearly every class at moment. My particular favourite is a shadow priest how annoying they are.

Also struggling to pick the right spec for me at moment, demo or destro? Tried both, like both. Both not working!

Obviously depends on the set up were against half of the time but we're having so much problems playing together as 2s. I know dueling 1on1 is completely different but I have no problems most of the time 1on1

A pet guide for me would also be useful against different classes. Not really sure what to use at start.

But yeah like I say is mage/lock even a good setup? Only we are struggling so bad and we are getting messed about with lame play style. Running round boxes all game just so we can't hit them...I'm wondering is that how we need to fight?!

We not even trying to aim for high rating like 2k. Maybe 1500 would be nice but classes such as bm hunters at moment are blowing us up with pets alone....seems really stupid how easy it is to play a hunter at moment.

Anyway any tips/specs on game play would be much appreciate or directed to some sites for help as its not working for us at moment unfortunately

Destro/frost definitely, but I dare say that you would be better off in 3v3 with a healer. Mage/lock isn't that great.

If all you're shooting for is 1500, you can literally play anything at all and be perfectly fine. In fact, two friends that coordinate well and play a weird class comp can be remarkably difficult for people in low brackets to deal with.

For starters, 2v2 doesn't mean anything

In these sort of comps it's up to the mage. The mage should be peeling for you until you're in a good spot to blow someone up. All you need to do is focus on kiting until your CC is rolling then blow someone up. Play defensive until then (in the opener though, play super offensive).

Arena is just practice, which is why it puts a lot of people off.

Here's something to help you get better:

Turn with the mouse, keybind everything. Get used to focus macros and use them.

Get to know what other classes do. Know each class inside and out and how to counter them. This can be done by duelling good players. Even if you get stomped you'll still learn something. Try out new things, duelling means shit all so go all out.

Add ons aren't too important, but Gladius is great for arena. I just run with interruptbar and gladius.

Try to do 2's or 3's with good players. There's honestly no point in continuously doing 2s with your mate if he's shit. Back in WotLK I used to carry people to 1800 for gold, and by the end of the carry session they would be able to do things well and not need me to tell them what to do. Positioning, LoSing and knowing when to use CD's as well as stacking CC is paramount to PvP and arena's especially.

Just practice. It's really crap how Blizz removed Skirmishes from the game as they were a great way to practice in an Arena environment.
    Last edited by rektbrah; 2012-12-20 at 09:01 AM.
    this game sucks

Deleted
    yes that comp is good...lots of cc (especially instant cc's like PoM + sheep, deepfreeze, blood fear/shadowfury, 2 silents) and burst you probably just need to practice a lot, keybind, make focus macros and learn how to fight against all the other classes...you can probably keep someone in a cc chain for at least 20 sec which is plenty of time to kill someone fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArekuD View Post
    yes that comp is good...lots of cc (especially instant cc's like PoM + sheep, deepfreeze, blood fear/shadowfury, 2 silents) and burst you probably just need to practice a lot, keybind, make focus macros and learn how to fight against all the other classes...you can probably keep someone in a cc chain for at least 20 sec which is plenty of time to kill someone fast.
    Lol burst.... the only burst going on with warlock/mage is the mage, the warlock will never get a chance to burst unless he's demo.

Either you can play destro/frost, or you can play demo/frost.

The 2 main differences between these 2 setups, as destro you'll likely survive longer, as demo you'll die. However, as destro you won't be able to burst while as demo you will be able to get those 2 chaos waves off.

You will always be the target to get focused and and get used to it. Your only job is to survive while your frostmage is bursting everything down. If your mages fails, or you die to early, it's likely a loss.
    As destro, you'll be able to heal large amounts by spending all your embers on embertap because really, you won't be casting chaosbolts when being focused.
    As demonology you'll be abusing your leap, double teleport and knockback till you have enough fury to pop everything for 2 devastating chaoswaves.

As for pets, you either use a felhunter, silence the healer/caster and than sacrifice it to silence again, or the voidwalker to disarm the warrior when he pops his cooldowns, sacrifice it and use last stand as a cooldown when you need it. Even as demonology there is little gain of using a pet in 2s.