Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When was the first time you saw the moon through a telescope?

I remember the first time I saw the moon through a telescope. It was one of the most awe-inspiring moments of my life. You read in textbooks about the cosmos. But I vividly recall the first time I actually SAW the moon, close up, with all the detail. To see the contour of the craters etched out by the blackness of space with YOUR OWN EYES. To see it more than just a ball in the sky, but with real features like you are looking at a land mass, it was amazing.

How about you?

To be honest, I don't think I've actually looked at the moon through a telescope.

Uhm. Never. I live in New York lol, I don't think people do that where I live. It's too crowded and too many buildings and trees.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was somebody on the forum that thinks the sun and the moon are the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really recall.

I haven't either but now you've made me want to :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I've never seen the moon through a telescope but I used the large dome telescope at Griffith Observatory, i was too little to remember which planet i was look at

When I was about 6 years old, and my dad took out a telescope and showed me. It made me want to be come an astronomer.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I was probably 11 or 12. Friend had a really nice refraction telescope we used to take to the park on nights and look at the milky way and the moon, venus, Jupiter etc.

I used to have a fairly decent telescope but I sold it. Too much light noise where I live to really get good use out of a decent telescope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    How about you?
    I must have been about 12 or 13 when I first got to view the moon through a telescope at a friend's. It was just a small, cheap refractor his dad owned but it was still impressive at the time. The moon is always a favorite target because there's a lot more to take in than many might realize. Surfing the terminator never gets old.

About ten years ago I brought home a 10" newtonian reflector. Two experiences in particular bested my first lunar viewing -- being able to easily see Earth's rotation in real time, and observing Saturn under really good conditions and spotting eight of its moons. That pretty well floored me.

I'm glad we live in an age where high quality astrophotographs are widely available to everyone. As you touched on though, I think it's far more satisfying doing your own observations in real time -- even if the image in your eyepiece isn't as high-quality as familiar pictures.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I've ever used a telescope to look at the moon. I did have some binoculars to look at the Hale-Bopp comet though. :3

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    I have never been near a telescope!

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was about 7 years old after I got my first telescope for Christmas. I've been a huge fan of star gazing ever since, there is nothing more beautiful than the sky on a clear night, it's so overwhelming.

10+ Year Old Account
    never 0o google images is close enough for me :P

When I was 14 iirc, I've loved astronomy ever since.

I was about 5 I think. We were up in the mountains, the sky was clear and it was a full moon. The whole family was there with nothing to do, so dad decided to set up the telescope. After he had the moon in focus I took a peak, and I remember thinking, "Where's the moon rabbit?"

Gosh I was so stupid back then.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-12-21 at 03:19 PM.

Deleted
    Never... I hope I do someday, but until then...

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember seeing Saturn through a telescope once, but not the moon. I'm sure I have looked at it through a telescope, but it wasn't an event that impressed itself on my mind.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

In 6th Grade I went to an observatory in Hawaii. Shit was magical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    We (me, my Brother and my Dad) looked at venus through a telescope, but not the moon. Think i was about maybe 7/8 or something.