[Movies] What can I expect from Netflix?

So for the holidays I am thinking of getting myself a gift. Originally I was going to by the entire Star Trek TNG series (since I haven't seen them all yet... ) but found the prices for each season or whole bundle was entirely too much money. So I've decided to watch it in a more cost convenient method; the Internet.
    No no I'm not torrenting it (would take way too long). I was thinking of Netflix. If anyone could, what sort of quality would I be expecting? Is it inundated with trash adds and a non buffering buffer like YouTube?
    I was also wondering if I could watch some older horror movies with the accounts monthly subscription by any chance without having to rent it online like Amazon. (I have cheesy horror movie Fridays. :P)
    Are there any major issues going on with Netflix right now? I don't expect DVD releases of new movies to be viewable through the streaming service any time soon, but I would hate to find 80% of last years movies have to be mailed to me.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-12-20 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    So for the holidays I am thinking of getting myself a gift. Originally I was going to by the entire Star Trek TGN series (since I haven't seen them all yet... ) but found the prices for each season or whole bundle was entirely too much money. So I've decided to watch it in a more cost convenient method; the Internet.
    No no I'm not torrenting it (would take way too long). I was thinking of Netflix. If anyone could, what sort of quality would I be expecting? Is it inundated with trash adds and a non buffering buffer like YouTube?
    I was also wondering if I could watch some older horror movies with the accounts monthly subscription by any chance without having to rent it online like Amazon.
    Are there any major issues going on with Netflix right now? I don't expect DVD releases of new movies to be viewable through the streaming service any time soon, but I would hate to find 80% last years movies have to be mailed to me.
    Netflix doesn't really have a ton of new movies unfortunately, mainly because they can't. If they could, they would. But they do have a lot of tv shows, usually up until last season. As for old horror movies, they have a ton. Many cult classics, so you're okay there. Quality wise I believe it can come in HD (don't hold me to that though) and it's very fast. Takes a few seconds to start up whatever you chose to watch. At least it does for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Netflix doesn't really have a ton of new movies unfortunately, mainly because they can't. If they could, they would. But they do have a lot of tv shows, usually up until last season.
    I guess that's fine. As long as Star Trek TNG has all 7 seasons, and it does (I checked.)

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Takes a few seconds to start up whatever you chose to watch. At least it does for me.
    As long as I can pause the movie/show and let it buffer ahead a few minutes then that's perfect. (3Mbps Connection here...)

Thanks for replying.

I've had a sub for about 2 years now. Simply because I love the streaming tv series. As far as new movies you get about 10 good titles a year. So do not expect newer movies coming in left and right for streaming because studios simply won't give them the rights to them anymore. The instant streaming is all about tv series, older movies, indie movies, b movies, and docs. As the other poster said some things come in HD other in standard. Just depends. It's easily buffered but they do have a set amount u can buffer up to. I'm stuck with 1.5 mbps so I don't even try to stream the HD stuff. But with 1.5 I get the highest I can get without going HD with about 3 secs of buffering time when I hit play.
    Last edited by Renea; 2012-12-20 at 06:48 AM.

It can come in HD or if they decide your line isn't catching it fast enough it comes down in regular.

Don't quote me here, but I don't think you can pause it and let it buffer to get HD quality, that would be a question for Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    It can come in HD or if they decide your line isn't catching it fast enough it comes down in regular.

Don't quote me here, but I don't think you can pause it and let it buffer to get HD quality, that would be a question for Netflix.
    I guess that's fine as well. I watch YouTube at 360p so I'm not planning to watch Netflix's version of 1080p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have had Netflix for a couple of years too. Don't expect a lot of new movies and they seem to rotate the old titles. Lately the only real plus to Netflix has been the tv series.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Yeah Brave Sir Robin said. Don't expect too many movies but the streaming of TV shows is probably the best you're gonna find.

I believe they have all the Star Trek series available for streaming. I personally finished DS9 recently.

Netflix is great for catching up with TV shows that may have missed earlier for whatever reason. Netflix does not have any episodes for currently running seasons so if you are caught up with everything you want to see now might not be a good time to sub.

That being said they do have a large variety of stuff especially foreign stuff if you are into that like Animes, Korean Dramas, Chinese films, etc.

P.S. Forgot to add that there are absolutely no ads or commercials while you watch. Lets hope that it stays that way.