Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Season 3 Top Lane Discussion.

I know there has been a lot of debate on how S3 and the new items have impacted League and the top lane. As a top laner, I understand first hand, it is not all bad. It really gives all champions their own kind of touch on their build, it really makes it so that its not so cookie cutter. ( The stacking of the BC was fun, but that is now over). I just want to see how other players feel on how this patch affects the top lane, good or bad. Just voice what you think here. I would really like to hear what some of you have to say.

Good Day,
    Magi

Deleted
    I feel like everyone wants to play top lane all of a sudden. I have LoL on an SSD so I'm pretty much always the first to call out which lane I want to go to, and to pick a champion. I never lock until the entire team is looking good.

Since the patch there's always someone who doesn't say anything and just picks something and insta locks. This happened before, but not as regularly as since the patch. Had like 4 games where I called out that I wanted to go toplane, picked a champion, then someone picks irelia and instalocks without saying anything.

Then I am forced to either stick to what I called out and go duo top or pick a different lane and let the instalocker "win."

Maybe this is just me, but this has happened a lot the last couple of days.

As far as items go, except for getting a black cleaver on almost all my AD top laners now, I don't really get any of the new items.

I totally understand what you are saying, this happens to everyone that play blind pick. It sucks that the LoL community has to be like this, and it seems like everyone has these views but yet it also seems like everyone is insta-locking and then saying " GG NOOBS ". I had someone the other day say, I shit you not " I've been trolled for the past 5 games so now it is my turn ( didnt say till the last possible minute) then choose promote barrier summoners and changed to rammus.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I always insta-lock Olaf and say top.
    Everyone just submits to the manliness.

Then I throw some axes and win the game.

Atm I hate top lane. I feel due to its position it naturally has less involvement with the rest of the team, and also has less impact late game then any other role, this is why if I play a bruiser anymore I just go mid and zone their mid laner. Apart from that I feel I need tp to play top lane otherwise, in solo queue at any rate, I find it very hard to make any impact on the game early on unless I kill the person I am laning against.

To fix this I don't think riot need to do anything, people just need to be more open minded to different tactics. For example 2v1 lanes and other types of lane swaps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Atm I hate top lane. I feel due to its position it naturally has less involvement with the rest of the team, and also has less impact late game then any other role, this is why if I play a bruiser anymore I just go mid and zone their mid laner. Apart from that I feel I need tp to play top lane otherwise, in solo queue at any rate, I find it very hard to make any impact on the game early on unless I kill the person I am laning against.

To fix this I don't think riot need to do anything, people just need to be more open minded to different tactics. For example 2v1 lanes and other types of lane swaps.
    I try to play someone usefull late game, with tankiness or cc.

I see a lot of people top still going standard flash ignite, but I feel like going flash TP is way more convenient, Do double golems recall then TP back to lane. Also later in the game for split push or even getting to a team fight.

Two things I'll mention (this is my opinion btw, not stating facts or anything):

1. Top lane is the lane where you farm a ton. Obviously, if your team is failing, you'll have to go help them, and in that case I agree with fiif, you feel like it's way too far out to be able to help anyone in time.

2. That brings me to spells; I think if you just want to dominate top and farm and become OP (like Olaf, early level 9 for that rank 4 E, freaking hurts the other team so bad). However, if you feel like you have a team that'll need help early, I think Flash+TP is a pretty good choice. Also, that makes the boot upgrade for CD reduction on Flash/TP/Ghost a lot better.

I haven't played a lot of top lane since the pre-season patch rolled out, so I can't say anything for sure.

My problem with TP is that the bot lane doesn't understand that they should plant a ward in the bush so you can teleport gank for them. Ganking with TP doesn't work that well when the enemy sees you comming (unless you have homeguard :P )

only reason i hate top lane is the snowball effect of it

Basically u get killed and the other enemy is competent you aren't making a comeback without significant jungler help. All lanes are snowbally but i can kill someone in mid when they're 3 levels ahead by out playing. Top there's a lot more point and clicks and overall i feel as though the CHAMPS, not the lane, are just easier to play. And BC is still pretty much mandatory on every single bruiser btw

Item difference since s3, i really don't see much. BC has made is so that Brusiers can take over the role of the AP in mid if the ap isn't a utility one or karthus/aniv. Outside of that builds haven't changed a lot anywhere. Whether its just people don't want to try or what but none of the new items feel OVERALL better than any of the old picks. They have situational uses which is good but overall they just aren't built a lot

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    I feel like everyone wants to play top lane all of a sudden. I have LoL on an SSD so I'm pretty much always the first to call out which lane I want to go to, and to pick a champion. I never lock until the entire team is looking good.

Since the patch there's always someone who doesn't say anything and just picks something and insta locks. This happened before, but not as regularly as since the patch. Had like 4 games where I called out that I wanted to go toplane, picked a champion, then someone picks irelia and instalocks without saying anything.

Then I am forced to either stick to what I called out and go duo top or pick a different lane and let the instalocker "win."

Maybe this is just me, but this has happened a lot the last couple of days.

As far as items go, except for getting a black cleaver on almost all my AD top laners now, I don't really get any of the new items.
    You do realize you complain that somebody instant locked the lane you instantly called right?
    While you personally might be the "light" case scenario, the person willing to switch something, most instant callers are the same thing with instant lockers.
    You get in the lobby
    You call a lane
    You pick a champion
    Then you do nothing until the timer runs out thus ending with a team with absolutely no f*cking synergy between them :P

10+ Year Old Account
    trolling the enemy team with my shaco juke
    I used to play mid and jungle exclusively in season 2, with the start of Season 3 and my teammate lacking a decent top laner, I told them Id like to give it a go. The train is still chooing and Im loving every moment of it, including where I get my asshole raped because I get outplayed mechanically. I remember my first game where I decided to play top, was vs an Irelia and she told me in all chat " Bro, your gonna have less then 25cs at 12m ". My team told me to just ignore her since she was mocking me. At 12m I was starting to get really pissed off and angry because I had 12cs ._. She actually froze my minions at her turret for 8m straight. If I tried to go for a last hit she would take me down to 30% in one combo ( I was playing Yorick ).

That Irelia should get payed to create plans for psychological warfare. She seems to have mindfucked you so badly that you made her prediction right

Mock the enemy so he doesn't play as aggressive as he should -> get ahead in cs and get the few crucial levels on Irelia -> profit. A real master plan!

I haven't yet got the chance to actually play a AD Bruiser mid lane, besides lee pre s3, but I would really like to change it back up.

I just spent the past like 4 days playing AD mid, and I have to say it is really a change up. I heard of scarra playing Mid "Bank-Plank", so I did it and it really hurt. Then I said to myself, How would Jayce fair mid lane, and once again I was really surprised at the outcome. I think I just found my new playing style. If anyone out there has any suggestion on a kind of "odd" champion to play mid. Let me know on here or add me on league.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to play Teemo top lane a lot because regardless of who you fought, you could eventually win out with 3 items: Sorc Boots and Liandrys Torment, & Malady.
    But after the nerf to his ult of reduction by 33%, I cant even play him at all.

He was very powerful and I agree he was OP, but he was kill able and it was only bad players of feeding him were the issue.

I think if they buffed his ult to be a 500 instead of 400, he would be playable again, but as is, he is back to being a bad champion and Yorick is back to being top range Top champion to counter the bruisers.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 01:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MagiForTehLulz View Post
    I just spent the past like 4 days playing AD mid, and I have to say it is really a change up. I heard of scarra playing Mid "Bank-Plank", so I did it and it really hurt. Then I said to myself, How would Jayce fair mid lane, and once again I was really surprised at the outcome. I think I just found my new playing style. If anyone out there has any suggestion on a kind of "odd" champion to play mid. Let me know on here or add me on league.
    try playing Jarv Mid. He has really up his mid game IMO. Kat is still a pain in mid but basically, anyone without mana can stomp all over mid with high success rate IMO>
    When life gets you down, stand back up.
    When something breaks, fix it.
    When Blizzard makes you wait 1 more year and gives you a crappy D3 game with no end game content, horrible nerfs, & says the AH is the greatest thing to come to a D3 game, It's OK to nerd rage and never buy another Acti-Blizzard game again. I know I wont.

I agree with everything you just said lol. I hated teemo's with such a burning passion but since the nerf they have not been a pain. I will usually just counter pick with AP Nunu and tear them up with snowballs. It is a great counter. I've been hearing alot about jarvan mid. I will be trying him later tonight. Add me on league MagiForTehLulz.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do the carry AD tops fare in S3? From what I've heard:

Tryndamere still has the issues of his nerfs and his outdated kit.
    Fiora fares a bit better but still has her issues of a lack of escape and squishiness.
    Master Yi usually goes jungle or AP mid, so I don't know how he fares top.
    Gangplank didn't change much from his status of "farm out 'til you get 6 items and use your ult to assist-whore".
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont think ive gotten to play top lane once since this preseason patch thingy. ive been mostly trying to expand all my roles so ive been just filling whatever role doesnt get gobbled up in the first 10 secs and generally that is the support role. fortunately i have actually won a fair amount of the matches i support so it could be an omen lol.

that being said id love to eventually play zed in a lane. ive been playing him mostly jungle and its been about a 50-50 win rate

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    How do the carry AD tops fare in S3? From what I've heard:

Tryndamere still has the issues of his nerfs and his outdated kit.
    Fiora fares a bit better but still has her issues of a lack of escape and squishiness.
    Master Yi usually goes jungle or AP mid, so I don't know how he fares top.
    Gangplank didn't change much from his status of "farm out 'til you get 6 items and use your ult to assist-whore".
    I have been seeing alot of Tryn and Fiora's top lately, and actually surprisingly trundle is making his way back in to top lane. I think today alone i went up agaisnt 6 top lane trundles. ( not all the same person. ), but back on topic, Tryn is not really only good if he can get the initial lead on who ever he is laning against so a lot of jungle presence if much needed. Fiora can just farm all day long, eventually she can pretty much just gib someone.