[ Astronomy ] - Where Do I Begin? :/

Hi there

Just something about me quickly. I am a University Student studying a business degree with a double major in Finance and Marketing.

- I am fascinated by astronomy and would love to dwelve deeply into it, but I don't know where to begin. Do I need to know physics? What books should I learn. Simply put, where is the best place to learn and to start my journey into Astronomy.

Thanks heaps for your comments

Maybe you could sneak into an astronomy 101 class at your university? I used to do that all the time (not for astronomy, but yeah).

Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned Astronomy isn't studied at my university

Check your university library for astronomy textbooks. That's a good place to start.

Usually introductory astronomy texts are aimed at a general audience, so you'll be fine with a reasonable grasp of algebra.

You might want to start here.

Quote Originally Posted by Excessiv View Post
    Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned Astronomy isn't studied at my university
    I've always wanted to go into astronomy but like you, my University never offers it and I'm afraid if I pursue that field It will be "basically" useless. I've heard that getting into the workforce that pertains to astronomy is a tough shell to crack. NASA doesnt get any attention anymore with the lack of funding from the government and I havent seen any new breakthroughs in that field.

Deleted
    Hi there

Just something about me quickly. I am a University Student studying a business degree with a double major in Finance and Marketing.

- I am fascinated by astronomy and would love to dwelve deeply into it, but I don't know where to begin. Do I need to know physics? What books should I learn. Simply put, where is the best place to learn and to start my journey into Astronomy.

It is 90% Physics, Most Astronomers know just as much physics as actual Physics graduates. Mathematicians laugh at both of them though, arrogant, clever bastards that they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    It is 90% Physics, Most Astronomers know just as much physics as actual Physics graduates. Mathematicians laugh at both of them though, arrogant, clever bastards that they are.
    What's there to laugh at? A physicist needs to know as much math as any mathematician.

Do you mean amatuer astronomy or looking for a career?

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Hi there

You need to know as much physics as a real physicist because that's what astronomers essentially are. Astrophysicists. There is no astronomy profession, there's only the astronomy hobby. If you want to have a profession that's about astronomy, you'd need to switch colleges and get a degree in physics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    What's there to laugh at? A physicist needs to know as much math as any mathematician.
    Basically, this. I'm on my way to, at the very least, a Bachelor in Mathematics/Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Statistics (depending on what I choose during my third year) and whilst I like to make fun of my friends who study physics, saying things like "Oh, silly people, roundoff isn't exact! You don't know anything", I know that they're eventually going to learn just as much mathematics as I am, just at a slower pace because I fully focus on maths, nothing else.

As people have pointed out, physics practically define astronomers, they hardly do more than physics. And to learn and understand physics, you will need to, to some degree (depending on the level of understanding you wish to achieve) learn the language that the universe speaks. That language is mathematics.
    Last edited by Cusco; 2012-12-20 at 11:42 PM.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

You just need basic math skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simply put, where is the best place to learn and to start my journey into Astronomy.
    Like another poster asked, are you wondering about where to begin doing observational astronomy, as in getting out under the night sky with binoculars or telescope? Or are you interested primarily in general study and just looking for a reading list? Providing additional details will help us best answer your question.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.coursera.org/course/introastro
    Three weeks have passed since it started but you can probably look at all the course material if you have the time.