Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    As I've said several times, it never broke the brains of paladins and priests to find that the Light was magic space rocks. It's a personal failing of Tyrande if she's too stubborn to comprehend the possibility.
    Yes, it is Tyrande's fault, I don't argue otherwise. Well she very well could be a brat. It's not really different from real life, there are people who will argue endlessly about their beliefs even if they run in circles and hit dead ends. You can't really fault her, that's just how she has always lived and what her station demands of her. As you said before, all they need to do is have Velen verify it and be done with it, but it's about so much more on a personal level, which takes precendence over the truth.

Also, in regards to the Light, I don't know all the details surrounding that, but calling it the Light is as generic as someone who believes in a higher universal power which does not have a specific form or name, unlike Elune who was given a name and personified, so it's only natural that the shock was not of any value. It's like giving a medical condition or a phenomenon a name after experiencing it several times - you're already familiar with it, you just didn't know what to call it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Forumchibi View Post
    Yes, it is Tyrande's fault, I don't argue otherwise. Well she very well could be a brat. It's not really different from real life, there are people who will argue endlessly about their beliefs even if they run in circles and hit dead ends. You can't really fault her, that's just how she has always lived and what her station demands of her. As you said before, all they need to do is have Velen verify it and be done with it, but it's about so much more on a personal level, which takes precendence over the truth.

Also, in regards to the Light, I don't know all the details surrounding that, but calling it the Light is as generic as someone who believes in a higher universal power which does not have a specific form or name, unlike Elune who was given a name and personified, so it's only natural that the shock was not of any value. It's like giving a medical condition or a phenomenon a name after experiencing it several times - you're already familiar with it, you just didn't know what to call it before.
    The Light is what it's referred to as, but up until the discovery or the Naaru, it was referred to as an entity with a specific will in much the same way Elune was.

The Light is what it's referred to as, but up until the discovery or the Naaru, it was referred to as an entity with a specific will in much the same way Elune was.
    Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Yeah and with how powerful the Titans are / were even they could not kill off the Old Gods all they could do was only imprison them like Yogg Saron and C'Thun though not sure if CT was actually imprisoned.
    Not exactly. It is not stated that Old Gods are beyond their scope. Old Gods have infected Azeroth so deep that forced removal of them would result in Azeroth destruction. Kind of like those facehuggers from Alien movies where if you try to remove it, it will suffocate the host with it's tail. Since titans wished for Azeroth preservation (and most likely Old Gods know about it) they were left with no other choice but imprison them deep beneath Azeroth till the end of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    NO IT IS NOT. You are biased.

get to da choppa

You can't prove that in real life. Also Gods can exist in a fantasy universe since it can be proven via being written.
    No offense but all the proof you need is in the sky. We are made of star stuff.
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Her being a god would mean she's torn out of this world more. A demigod may appear and fuck up things on a nuclear war level, but a full god... can be believed in?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Elune is just a Loa or an Ancient.

Before Night Elves were Elves, they were Dark Trolls. That is Cannon from WoW magazine.
    What do Trolls worship ? Loa. So what if when the purple trolls transformed into purple elves
    they just kept on worshiping the same Loa the tribe had always worshiped. So Elune might just be
    the same type of being Hakkar is. Blizz has not told us, where the Loa or ancients come from....yet!
    or
    What if Elune is just an Ancient ?
    Malorne is her lover and he is an ancient. So wouldn't it make sense that Elune is just another Ancient.
    Brann Bronzebeard via WoW magazine speculated that most races that did not come from the titian constructs
    originated from an Ancient. So what if Elune is the ancient that humanoids came from. She could of made trolls.
    If Elune was the humanoid ancient then it would explain why Cenarius is half purple humanoid since the Stagg part
    came from Malorne. Again Blizz hasn't even said where ancients come from so who knows.

Deleted
    I Would also like to say she is more powerfull then a narru, but i have read up one many of the speculations, and it does make sence in many ways.
    That being said, there is more aginst then for it,

She like "holy" power and all, but she does help indirectly, while the naru help directly.
    She is more powerfull, her power did shape the elfs from being" simpel" trolls to the race that the elfs are. If she was a naru, how did she get to azerorth? Would not others Naru have knowed about it, ofc we do not know about how the naru truly are, what they know and so on. But Why is she then the only alone naru who is on azeroth ( i know the blood elfs have the one from sunwell tempel but they moved him there)
    The naru in silvermoon, there is a naru kept as a prisoner, why would she not help a fellower naru, i mean she have showed she care deeply for the night elfs.

And agian, why would she now have showed herself. If so she is a naru she is by far more powerfull then the rest we have seen. She may be "queen / king" of Naru's or their big brother/sister

10+ Year Old Account
    This. Warcraft I religion was very christian-like, and Blizzard is doing its best to try and connect all of these disparate storylines and retcons into an overarching theme; I think they are working towards a Horde + Alliance Army of the Light crap against Sargeras or whatever theme as the ultimate showdown for WoW. As an RPer, I have to work with this crap on a daily basis, so I'm going to offer you the benefit of my explanations.

The TFH explanation for Elune seems quite feasible, to my mind; remember that what the Night Elves depict Elune and believe about Elune is not necessarily the truth of the matter, similarly to how both Humans and Draenei worship the same thing but in different manners. Elune (or E'lune, Mu'sha, etc) was to the Kaldorei as D'ore or whichever Naaru rescued the Draenei from Argus was to them.

As regards the Light being referred to as an entity, I call this a simple case of a primitive culture (humans) explaining the phenomenon of An'she speaking to them in terms they could comprehend; of that of a singular deity, with servant spirits (angels), and heaven and hell. It is canonically stated that the High Elves "contributed to this evolving religion"; I take that to mean that exposure to older, more sophisticated cultures like the High Elves helped to curtail these aspects of the early human Light religion and turn it into something more abstract and philosophical.

Even the Loa can be explained in terms of the Naaru attempting to reach possible troops; I forgot which piece exactly, but it described a sect of trolls worshipping a Loa that sounded suspiciously like a Naaru.

This is not a statement of "how I should think the lore should be", this is speculation of the direction in which Blizzard is taking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tyrande is able to speak to Elune and ask for her help, so she knows that she is not a naaru. She's more like the old gods and was drawn to the well of eternity, but just because she has the powers of an old god doesn't mean she is a monsterlike creature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post
    Also, even though the Klaxxi say Y'shaarj was destroyed, they do still seem to believe that he will return.. Maybe he's/its imprisoned as were the rest of the Old Gods and they don't know about it?
    What we do know about Old Gods in WoW is that they are necrophytic (the Tribunal says necrophotic but I take this to be a typo). This, in combination with the fact that they created the Curse of Flesh to facilitate assimilation (i.e. consumption) leads to the inference that they are creatures that feed off death. With this in mind, the Sha are simply an attempt by Y'shaarj to reconstitute itself; this explains why Sha grow more potent from conflict and the death that ensues, and why it attempts to instigate further conflict in order to feed itself.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 11:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neonic View Post
    Tyrande is able to speak to Elune and ask for her help, so she knows that she is not a naaru. She's more like the old gods and was drawn to the well of eternity, but just because she has the powers of an old god doesn't mean she is a monsterlike creature.
    I could easily say that Elune chooses to speak to Tyrande in terms that she will understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    the offspring usually look like a combination of their parents, so if his bottom half looks like his father, then we know his mother is a humanoid being. Also since Malone is around, couldn't a druid go ask him what he had sex with?

Tyrande is able to speak to Elune and ask for her help, so she knows that she is not a naaru.
    Hearing someone's voice doesn't necessarily mean you are capable of determining who that person is, or what they look like.

Besides, paladins and priests frequently speak to the Light and requests its assistance, and still not all of them agree on exactly what it is.

I've got two theories:

1) Tyrande uses her as others use the Light. Perhaps its some sort of night elf exclusive light? Also, isn't Elune also the Tauren Earth Mother?

2) (no idea if any of it is true!)

In gw2, there are elder dragons, that view the races of tyria as insects. Maybe like the Old Gods. The elder dragons corrupt the races with their magics and turn them into their monsters. There might be one elder dragon that created a peaceful race, the plantpeople who are basically elves.

Maybe Elune is a Old God, but not evil. Maybe she was imprisoned into the moon and somehow escaped all the evil generating stuffs, and then she magically corrupted a tribe of trolls, and made her own race.

Note: Im not 100% sure on either game's lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    I thought the list went Sargeras > all?
    Only in terms of known villains, even then, there's some references that throw that in the air.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
    I think Elune is just a Loa or an Ancient.

Before Night Elves were Elves, they were Dark Trolls. That is Cannon from WoW magazine.
    What do Trolls worship ? Loa. So what if when the purple trolls transformed into purple elves
    they just kept on worshiping the same Loa the tribe had always worshiped. So Elune might just be
    the same type of being Hakkar is. Blizz has not told us, where the Loa or ancients come from....yet!
    or
    What if Elune is just an Ancient ?
    Malorne is her lover and he is an ancient. So wouldn't it make sense that Elune is just another Ancient.
    Brann Bronzebeard via WoW magazine speculated that most races that did not come from the titian constructs
    originated from an Ancient. So what if Elune is the ancient that humanoids came from. She could of made trolls.
    If Elune was the humanoid ancient then it would explain why Cenarius is half purple humanoid since the Stagg part
    came from Malorne. Again Blizz hasn't even said where ancients come from so who knows.
    That's a good idea, I've never thought of her that way before.

On Topic: I think even Blizzard themselves have no idea what they want her to be... It obvious that Elune's lore will get retconned one way or the other, that's why Blizzard are leaving all these "loose ends".

On the topic of Naaru vs (true) Godess: First of all, why can't she be both? I mean it is obvious that she is a God to the Night Elves, they worship her as one, and their religion is centered around her(Priestess of Elune, Temple of Elune - all of these are religious symbols in the Night Elven society). She also possesses some Naaru "traits".
    However, in my opinion, she is not a Naaru. The main evidence that I can present, is that she is very strongly connected to arcane magic, something that we know is not true about the Naaru race as they are exclusively "beings of the light". Also she is associated with the moon, if she was a Naaru it would make more sense if the Night Elves recognised her as the Goddes of the sun(you know, sun = light, moon -> moonfire, starfall = arcane).

I also think(even though I personally dislike this idea) it is possible that Elune is some sort of Old God(or somehow connected to them). As we know, she can whisper her followers and so can the Old Gods, she doesn't even have to be "alive" to do so, because we know for a fact that C'thun could whisper Med'an and Cho'gall from the afterlife. She can take the form of a humanoid - so can the Old Gods(Yogg-Saron as Sara). She can "reshape" already existing beings from one form to another(Trolls -> Night Elves) and so can the Old Gods via the "curse of flesh", Her influence is mostly restricted to one particular area - Teldrassil(that however doesn't explain why other races can't "hear" her whilse visiting the big tree, or how, presumably, the Night Elves can hear her in other parts of the world) same as Yogg-Saron in Northrend and C'thun in Ahn'Qiraj/Silithus.

Elune can turn out to be just about anything- Titan, Naaru, new kind of (real)Godess, Old God, or even something completely different.

Maybe she is kinda moon elemental. Like naaru are kinda light elementals.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if the blade were sentient? Titans themselves are born of steel and stone, so it doesn't seem like a stretch that the blade, itself, could be a living thing.
    Gorshalach, (the Dark Render) is the most powerful weapon in the universe. This massive greatsword was originally wielded by Sargeras while he was a member of the Titan Pantheon. When Sargeras fell to his madness, Gorshalach, being semi-sentient, sundered itself into two 'Shatterbound pieces' to prevent the fallen Titan from wielding it.
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Gorshalach

On Topic: I think even Blizzard themselves have no idea what they want her to be... It obvious that Elune's lore will get retconned one way or the other, that's why Blizzard are leaving all these "loose ends".
    Agreed. We'll have to wait and see what Blizzard does. So get out there and Kill Garrosh Lamescream already, so we can wrap this Alli <-> Horde thing up for now and continue the story. ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

Agreed. We'll have to wait and see what Blizzard does. So get out there and Kill Garrosh Lamescream already, so we can wrap this Alli <-> Horde thing up for now and continue the story. ._.
    the Ally horde thing IS the story.

a ridiculous thing to say, cause you could take EACH and every plot and story in the game and say that "lets wrap it up and continue with the story". The race war isnt even the only story going on. It never has been since w2. Which was the problem for a while in WoW plot wise. Horde vs Alliance with graver threats and other stories and plots occuring horizontally is a good system.

Tyrande is able to speak to Elune and ask for her help, so she knows that she is not a naaru.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I could easily say that Elune chooses to speak to Tyrande in terms that she will understand.
    I agree with what Didactic said. Plus Elune does some things that falls out of the norm for other Naaru that other people have mentioned in previous pages, such as being worshipped, so maybe she doesn't want the night Elves to know what she is. Pure speculation, but considering how old Elune is supposed to be in relation to everything else, if she were one of the very first Naaru, they might not have been called that at the time and had no name at all. 'Goddess' was probably a label of the Night Elves rather than her part of her introduction.

I'm not sure Tyrande would've asked anyway, I think trying to discern the nature of something supernatural by relating it to things in your own little world can be complicated, but I imagine would've made a humorous conversation of 20 questions.

"Are you bigger than a bread box? Are you a goat? Are you one of those old fashioned lights, or are you energy saving LED? I've got it, you're an evolved form of Raichu, aren't you? You're the one who gave us pet battles! Elune be praised!"