Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

[SWTOR] 1.7 probably the best community patch?

I'd like to see as Patch 1.7 Return Of The Gree to be the best community patch so far.
    Not that the community would get involved more with eachother (it does happen thanks to the new event), but more as in that BioWare listened to the community of the game.

For example:
    - 'Classic' Gear
    The Cartel Market with it's gear first started off with a few certain items. Everybody loved them, looked amazing and was cool to have on a character of the different faction. But apparently, the items weren't having the look they were supposed to have. So a 'fix' came in. People were saddened by it, some just litterly went furious on the official forums.
    After a lot of complaint they decided to put in the 'Classic' gear. It's been announced, and now we have it. And to make it even better, all the previous players who own at that certain moment a certain piece, will get the 'Classic' duplicate mailed to them.

- Ilum
    Ilum.. Well, where should we start. It started off pretty well, on my server atleast. Actual PvP was involved there, not too many (probably because the area was too big). But it happend! I did my dailies there, got my commendations. Loved doing it. But after a while.. People weren't actualy PvP'ing there anymore. It became a wasteland after a while, especially when they removed the dailies for the zones. People have been shouting for ages to 'remake' Ilum. And look what they did! They made it a whole new daily area with a contested PvP area. So to make it more intense: You fight your OWN faction.

Ofcourse there have been many more stuff implemented, and small things in the Cartel Market (my favourite is the new Lime-Green Colour Crystal, as most thought the green crystal we had, weren't looking good enough as shown in the movies).

What are your opinions? Satisfied with the Patch? Any complaints, what could have gone better?
    I for one think it's the best Patch so far. Few bugs came with it, important things were fixed. And best thing of all: The community were given things they wanted so badly.

"This is as much your game as it is ours." - Cory Butler

I heard they really screwed up the GTN.

Also with same faction PVP. Really? So some republic jedi is going to turn on the republic to help out some Gree people. Thats the true meaning of a jedi isnt it. Then if the missions in that area for the PVP are for getting credit for kills then how much are people going to abuse it with same side fighting?

But so far it does seem like its not that bad in the bug department. Even though they should have called th eGTN issue a bug and it would have been better.

I'm sorry, but a "content" patch shouldn't be content for your cash shop. In my opinion, after seeing the rep rewards being just recolored retreads, I'm highly disappointed in it. Why in the hell would I bother maxing out my rep just to have my "reward" be the same armor I already have, except in a different color? It's lazy.

This new event will make Ilum popular for a minute. After it's done, it'll go back to being a useless, desolate wasteland. Also, forcing people to subjugate themselves to PvP if they don't want to PvP is an asshole maneuver. I find it to be no different than when Blizzard forced people to run BGs in order to get achievements for holiday events. It just leads to a spectacular amount of griefing. In Blizzard's case, it usually led to people who didn't know shit about what they were doing coming into a BG and screwing it up for the rest of the group. In this case, you have people just wanting to have fun with the content being destroyed by anybody and everybody that wants to fuck with people. I wouldn't be surprised if you found groups of troll-like assholes going there specifically to blow up 50s in blue gear for shits and giggles.

From what I can tell, this is the first patch after slowly doling out the content that they talked about putting out back at E3 and it's easily the least amount of content I've seen. The rep system was a step in the right direction. The recycled garbage rewards were 2 steps backs. Thoroughly unimpressed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    I'm sorry, but a "content" patch shouldn't be content for your cash shop. In my opinion, after seeing the rep rewards being just recolored retreads, I'm highly disappointed in it. Why in the hell would I bother maxing out my rep just to have my "reward" be the same armor I already have, except in a different color? It's lazy.

This new event will make Ilum popular for a minute. After it's done, it'll go back to being a useless, desolate wasteland. Also, forcing people to subjugate themselves to PvP if they don't want to PvP is an asshole maneuver. I find it to be no different than when Blizzard forced people to run BGs in order to get achievements for holiday events. It just leads to a spectacular amount of griefing. In Blizzard's case, it usually led to people who didn't know shit about what they were doing coming into a BG and screwing it up for the rest of the group. In this case, you have people just wanting to have fun with the content being destroyed by anybody and everybody that wants to fuck with people. I wouldn't be surprised if you found groups of troll-like assholes going there specifically to blow up 50s in blue gear for shits and giggles.

From what I can tell, this is the first patch after slowly doling out the content that they talked about putting out back at E3 and it's easily the least amount of content I've seen. The rep system was a step in the right direction. The recycled garbage rewards were 2 steps backs. Thoroughly unimpressed.
    1) I agree on the rewards. Lacklustre compared to what they come up with for the Cartel Market.

2) Noone is forced to PvP. There are only 2 PvP missions and PvE'ers can happily do their own missions and steer well clear. My main did all the missions (overt) and my Trooper just did the PvE ones...with no hassle whatsoever.

3) Have you played the event? It's actually a pretty cool makeover of what the shelf was before imo. I liked the vibe and had a great few hours. The rewards (except the Gree weapons which are incredibly cool to wield imo) do suck. That needs seeing to but the rest is a step forward compared to the last Gree event. 3 new World bosses, some nice new missions, some OpenWorld PvP for those that choose to participate and a new reputation system. I'd give it a 8/10 compared to all other patches this game has had.

EDIT: It could have been a lot better with decent rewards so maybe 8/10 is generous. I guess I was blown away by actually having fun in TOR without Raiding as it seems I do little else this winter.
    Last edited by mmoc3d23c7f243; 2013-02-13 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamos77 View Post
    1) I agree on the rewards. Lacklustre compared to what they come up with for the Cartel Market.

2) Noone is forced to PvP. There are only 2 PvP missions and PvE'ers can happily do their own missions and steer well clear. My main did all the missions (overt) and my Trooper just did the PvE ones...with no hassle whatsoever.

3) Have you played the event? It's actually a pretty cool makeover of what the shelf was before imo. I liked the vibe and had a great few hours. The rewards (except the Gree weapons which are incredibly cool to wield imo) do suck. That needs seeing to but the rest is a step forward compared to the last Gree event. 3 new World bosses, some nice new missions, some OpenWorld PvP for those that choose to participate and a new reputation system. I'd give it a 8/10 compared to all other patches this game has had.
    My mistake. I was under the impression that, in order to receive the quest, you had to be in the PvP section of Ilum. I'll take that back if that's not the case. The recycled armor and weapons is still lazy.

As far as I can tell, though, this patch is just above 1.3 in terms of content. You gotta remember that this event will only last so long before it goes away and leaves a void. An event shouldn't be considered "content" in a content patch.
    Last edited by notorious98; 2013-02-13 at 02:09 AM.

Deleted
    My mistake. I was under the impression that, in order to receive the quest, you had to be in the PvP section of Ilum. I'll take that back if that's not the case. The recycled armor and weapons is still lazy.
    - 100% agree on the armor but the Gree weapons are unique iirc. I 'previewed' them ingame and the rifles/pistol look like nothing remotely ingame previously. Dulfy has a few pix I believe.

- Yes, all missions are accepted in a neutral area. You then go overt automatically if you head south towards the PvP markers. If you stay north and do the PvE missions you can stay non-overt.

Example of the rifle:

I'm not an expert on rifles but I don't think i've seen that particular shape/style before. I could be wrong though lol.

I'm not an expert on rifles but I don't think i've seen that particular shape/style before. I could be wrong though lol.
    Geth plasma rifle.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Geth plasma rifle.
    LMAO The Gree are Legion's spawn?

LMAO The Gree are Legion's spawn?

It's pretty similar.

edit: Honestly, its like most of swtor. Bioware did it better before swtor.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

This new event will make Ilum popular for a minute. After it's done, it'll go back to being a useless, desolate wasteland.
    This is going to be a recurring event. This whole area is set-up to stay like this (atleast that's the impression they are giving).

Quote Originally Posted by katta View Post

Also with same faction PVP. Really? So some republic jedi is going to turn on the republic to help out some Gree people. Thats the true meaning of a jedi isnt it. Then if the missions in that area for the PVP are for getting credit for kills then how much are people going to abuse it with same side fighting?
    It's an open place where FFA is enabled. Same goes for The Outlaw's Den.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 03:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post

edit: Honestly, its like most of swtor. Bioware did it better before swtor.
    Especially with certain Snipers. I am surprised I haven't seen anyone running around with the name "Garrus".
    Also for the fact that the female trooper has the same voice-actress as Shephard.. Well.. I just tried to 'recreate' her, just for fun.

I have to say, it sometimes feels like BioWare is looking too much at Mass Effect when working on SWTOR.

EDIT: I don't hope I am one of the few that's actualy satisfied with this patch?
    Last edited by Gereorth666; 2013-02-13 at 02:25 AM.

Deleted
    You gotta remember that this event will only last so long before it goes away and leaves a void. An event shouldn't be considered "content" in a content patch.
    The event is a recurring one. It lasts 2 weeks but it clearly states it will be returning.

The Reputation grind to Legend (for the Gree) is impossible in 2 weeks as the weekly cap makes anything past 'Hero' not doable. All the work to change the entire western part of Ilum won't be left to rot for a year imo. So I'd hope that means it won't be gone too long.

Imo it will be a bi-monthly event. I base this on nothing more than a calculated guess based on the effort made (to change half of Ilum), the Reputation system's Gree grind and the comms necessary to get more than one weapon.

If the event is an often recuring one doesn't it become content? I guess it depends on how often it plays out?

Imo it will be a bi-monthly event. I base this on nothing more than a calculated guess based on the effort made (to change half of Ilum), the Reputation system's Gree grind and the comms necessary to get more than one weapon.
    I've been thinking the whole team that the Gree-event could be compared with the Darkmoon Faire in 'WoW'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    I've been thinking the whole team that the Gree-event could be compared with the Darkmoon Faire in 'WoW'.
    Isn't that once a month? Well I'd sign up for that!

My gut tells me that it'll be longer...or maybe that's the carbonara playing 'silly buggers' again.

It would seem rather weird that if they put so much effort in re-creating the area and then maybe 'allow' it for let's say, every 2 months? Nah. I think it's available for two weeks each month. If not, BioWare realy surprised me there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    It would seem rather weird that if they put so much effort in re-creating the area and then maybe 'allow' it for let's say, every 2 months? Nah. I think it's available for two weeks each month. If not, BioWare realy surprised me there.
    From your mouth to Ohlen's ears...oh wait, he's been fired, I forgot

oh wait, he's been fired, I forgot
    Shit.. What to do now?

If the event is an often recuring one doesn't it become content? I guess it depends on how often it plays out?
    If it wasn't recurring, I would consider it content. Personally, I felt the once a month Darkmoon Faire wasn't really content either. So it lasts 2 weeks. Then what do you have for the next 4+ weeks before getting more content? Maybe it resurfaces before the next content patch, maybe it doesn't. Suppose you aren't able to put much time into the game for a couple weeks and miss the next time it comes around? Then you wait around again for however long. Sorry, but that's not content I would consider worthy of a patch. But that's just me I suppose.

They're clearly trying to promote PvP in Ilum. If that's the case, keeping it semi-rare is more likely to encourage people to flock to Ilum when it comes up. I'd lean to the 2 weeks every 2 months. Two weeks a month seems to me like it would be too common, and soon see very few people in the area. Alternatively, one week a month, with this starting event being two weeks long is another possibility.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it wasn't recurring, I would consider it content. Personally, I felt the once a month Darkmoon Faire wasn't really content either
    The way it was implemented, no it wasn't content. It was rushed and half assed instead of just finishing the whole thing. Now that it has some things added, it is certainly content, though not as fleshed out as it could be. It was a good step in the right direction in an expansion that had nothing. Now we see evidence of that development style with farms, pet battles, etc.

To get OT, to say this is the 'best (community) patch' is crap. I did actually get on and go to the 'new' zone and I have to say they did a fine job utilizing existing resources to make something special. I love ice zones, so it was great to have a purpose to be on Ilum. A couple of things though:

1) Yes PvP is forced on you, just like dailies are forced on you in WoW. You can only earn your maximum rep by completing all of the quests, some of which are only located in PvP areas. It's specifically giving an advantage to people who don't mind or want to PvP, otherwise it's punishing players that want no part of it. It's very bad design. No amount of arguing that you don't *have* to do it will change that.

2) If cash shop items and a daily hub, though admittedly the best daily hub they've done so far, is your version of 'best content patch' then this game needs to be shut down immediately. By this point they should be wowing our socks off with crazy content like they have designed in flashes before. Theroetika, I'm looking at you.

3) This game has the aesthetic to be simply awe inspiring, but it's normally pretty below average. The art team clearly is capable of doing cool things, but are resigned to reskinning previous models. It's incredibly lame and reeks of either a skeleton crew or EA driving the Cartel Market reigns. It's very sad. Just picking up the quest and getting started made me realize a SciFi MMO is something I really want to play, but I'm going to have to wait on Wildstar because this is still not cutting it.

As an aside: I had forgotten how in your face the game's restrictions are to even preferred players. It's downright disgusting. I want to say they eased the restrictions so much that we can't complain too much, but just seeing all of the nooks and crannies and menus and disclaimers on items that all scream Sub or Fuck Off was really too much to bear. It is a horrible, horrible, no good very bad F2P model.
    BAD WOLF

Gree event sucks.

If I wanted PVP I would of signed up for a PvP server. As it is now they limited my fun by adding crap I never signed up for, now i get limited rewards and limited fun because I don't want to be ganked by people who have nothing better to do then get enjoyment by taking down others.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.