Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Deleted

Looking back at swtor over the last year

...on old threads in this very forum is actually really funny.
    People mentioning that they are dropping WoW for this and never going back, only to have their Sigs / avatars updated to Pandaria ones.
    Saying that this will be the MMO that everyone compares future MMO's to in the future.
    Even more extreme claims waay before release that it wold revolutionize MMO combat etc. (no auto attack)

Do many of you feel the same way you did a year ago? So many people that still post on these very forums opinions of the company(s) seems to have changed so much in the past year, and while I am really sorry that for alot of you the game did not live up to expectations, has it for any of you?

If this sounds like I am trolling or whatever I am not, as a game, I actually enjoy free SWtOR, and enjoyed it when I paid for it first 2 months of its life, and I am a pround 'Founder'. It has definitely been an interesting year for ToR and one of the most interesting MMO's progress to watch no matter what side of the fence you are on

In the back of my mind going in I was afraid it would end up like this. While I kept trying to convince myself that I was done with WoW and this was my new game, I just couldn't get it to stick. TBH I think it has as much to do with my 3 years of SWG play than it did with my 7 years of WoW play and some things I just couldn't stand about this new SW Universe.

It wasn't horrible, and it has its good points, but I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about it not being what I hoped it would be.

My opinion has changed greatly.

I had high hopes for this MMO and gave them a lot of benifits of the doubt.

Some I still stand by (in a way). The game was very new so I figured they would smooth a lot of things out. I was optomistic but wrong.

There are things that I ticketed about in beta that I noticed still are broken when I come back a year later. One example being that when loading my character It thinks I'm on the wrong planet. For my sith it's talking about how I'm done Dromond Kass AND Balmorra and I'm on my way through Nar Shadda. My sith is barely halfway through Balmorra. It's kinda pathetic.

Now that they have gone F2P and have a terrible model for it at that, I dunno if i could be let down more by SWTOR.

One thing I am standing by though is I'm not sad enough to crawl back to WoW. No thank you Kung-fu panda and pokemon.
    When I gave up on Swtor over the summer I gave up MMOs as a whole. I'm trying to give swtor another shot (although rightfully doubtfull) but I think I'm soon gonna be back to 0 MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth
    One thing I am standing by though is I'm not sad enough to crawl back to WoW. No thank you Kung-fu panda and pokemon.
    When I gave up on Swtor over the summer I gave up MMOs as a whole. I'm trying to give swtor another shot (although rightfully doubtfull) but I think I'm soon gonna be back to 0 MMOs.
    Said the same exact thing and now I have a 90 Monk, Pally, and working on my Priest. It's still the only MMO on the market that has all the modern day features and easily the best combat system.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

10+ Year Old Account
    I was rather skeptical coming into the game, mainly because I'm not a fan of Bioware games.

When I first played the game, I was rather impressed, even calling it the best leveling experience I've had.
    Once I hit 50, however, it was ... boring. The same old dungeons and raids, with nothing innovative, whatsoever.

I didn't resub after that. Now that they have decided to treat their customers like crap, I will not give Bioware a single dollar anymore.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets not turn this into a hate thread. I'll be nice and leave it be but the OP was already walking on the border :P I'm sure you all understand!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This game came at a time when WoW was slipping away from me. I was ready to completely switch over and had some really great times raiding with my guild. The game itself was great, even though it had a lack of content, but the company didn't treat me or anyone very well.

I'm glad I got to play through the Theoretika before I cancelled my subscription and I know I'll pop in every now and then to draw my blasters as a free player. There's something about the game that still has a special touch and probably always will.

Yea, it's kinda sad. I still can't believe what an opportunity BioWare squandered. That being said I had subscription for 7-8 months, though I didn't play much towards to end. Still got every class to at least 20+ and couple to 50. If they had removed some of the more boring MMO grind parts it would have been excellent single player game, still was a pretty entertaining one. Mostly I'm sad what has happened to once my favorite game company and also by how crap job they did with the F2P.

I remember seeing this pic year or two back and thinking that BioWare/EA isn't stupid enough to let this happen, but here we are...

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    This game came at a time when WoW was slipping away from me. I was ready to completely switch over and had some really great times raiding with my guild. The game itself was great, even though it had a lack of content, but the company didn't treat me or anyone very well.

I'm glad I got to play through the Theoretika before I cancelled my subscription and I know I'll pop in every now and then to draw my blasters as a free player. There's something about the game that still has a special touch and probably always will.
    Its the thing that drives me crazy, for the first time in years a gaming company actually had a chance to compete, to prove that someone else could do it other than Blizzard. While I never thought it was going to leave WoW in the dust, I knew there were lots of players wanting a change. I was included in that, I wanted SWTOR to be my game of choice in the worst way. I knew fairly early on it wasn't going to end up that way because my wife made it to level 35 and just stopped. She literally went back to Coruscant to turn in a quest on her Trooper and then just stopped.

The thing I think that gets me down the most is that I convinced my guild to swap to the game, now only two of them play SWTOR and just a few have come back to WoW. Probably the worst mistake I made in the whole deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    . I knew fairly early on it wasn't going to end up that way because my wife made it to level 35 and just stopped. She literally went back to Coruscant to turn in a quest on her Trooper and then just stopped
    This happened to me too. My wife saw me playing, took lots of interest, kept raving about her Twilek smuggler, and then out of nowhere I was having to force her to play it with me which felt terrible. It wasn't long after she stopped that I really started getting the nagging feeling the game wasn't going anywhere.

That first content dearth (puns!) was when I unsubbed the first time. I resubbed with the allies patch? I think? And played for a while, raided a lot, took down Kephess, and then waited for something to happen. As much fun as that specific period was, that was when I unsubscribed the second time.

Then the F2P announcement hit, I got a little excited at my points, then the change in that policy, we all know what happened from there. I foolishly resubbed just to get my points, but it did let me buy unlocks for my account that will let me come back whenever I want to mess around at level 50....I just don't see myself doing that often, if ever.

I will play LotRO more than I will play SWTOR again. Looking back on it all, it's kinda sad actually. I've never been so incensed because of a company's decisions before. Not in any avenue of life.

I wasn't posting here a year ago, but I too had kind of reached my limit of WoW during the loooong stretch of farming Heroic Deathwing in June/July, and decided to put my "since-Vanilla" sub on hiatus to try out SWTOR (I had no problem with upcoming Pandas, was interested in the talent changes and was indifferent to pet battles - utter lack of content was what got to me). Played the SWTOR beta on one of their final weekends and wasn't too impressed, but swallowed my suspicions and purchased the game. Played three months and quit - didn't like the game, just the potential, and honestly didn't see much reason to hope for any potential to be filled.

However, it knocked me out of the fantasy genre and straight into the arms of EVE (well, back, as I had played the game like 5 years earlier and decided it kinda sucked). Now, EVE's not the best game on the market either, but (in comparison to SWTOR) the playerbase sure won't put up with crap before pulling the plug, which is refreshing. The Developer for EVE isn't flawless either, but you can tell how much they care about the game, and not charging for expansions is pretty fantastic.

I've been checking on SWTOR periodically, because if it had panned out, it was the type of game (well, the type of IP) I really would have liked to play. Instead of getting better, though, it's just gotten progressively worse, which is really freaking sad. Like everyone else, I wish we had a vibrant MMO environment with lots of unique, well crafted options. But, like everyone else, I also recognize that we're not there yet

Deleted
    From 1st rumours' in 2005, until a month or 2 after launch, I was sure TOR was going to be the future of MMO's. Story driven, player-centric and god dam light sabers. What more could I ask for??

Well........an MMO for starters. TOR just didn't have enough of the features I've come to expect. WoW, and the 3734589763428905789 WoW clones I've tried (Unfortunately) have made it so I want, I want, I want. I know it shouldn't be entirely TOR's fault, but in my eyes, it is.

Malgus still gaurds my PC at night, but TOR is unlikely to ever make it back onto my HDD

10+ Year Old Account
    What I feel for TOR is the same thing I felt for WAR. Sadness. So many missed opportunities. So many lost jobs, because of their bosses' mistakes. All I can really do is hope that other developers learn the right lessons from those mistakes.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Well I must say I had extremely high hopes for this game. I cant believe it ended up this way but here we are. On positive note however I did end up walking away from WoW and the subscription scene all together. At least some good came out of it.

I just don't understand why a company can't take all the stuff we loved from all the failed giants and incorporate it into one game.

The Voice Quests? loved them for Story, not so much for filler quests
    The PvP? Loved it...never enjoyed PvP so much.
    Dungeons? Loved the story driven ones
    Public quests (WAR/Rifts) Love this idea...was create fun

Add that to a smooth playstyle (and lets be fair I haven't seen an MMO that the animations seem the "smoother" than WoW) coupled with a mildly popular IP (can't think of one off the top of my head) that you can change/futz with "cannon" and I think you'd have a success.

I've recently suspended payments to my World of Warcraft Subscription, because I just find this expansion to be far to dull.

I've been playing for eight years though, so I've no doubt that is the biggest factor. Mists of Pandaria is cool, but a lot of the systems I don't really like, and with my guild just sucking at normal mode content, I choose to take a break and play Guild Wars 2.

It is always doubtful that people truly quit World of Warcraft, but I do often look back in the threads like: "MoP is just a Phone App that Blizzard is releasing, I'll bet $50 it isn't an expansion" or "MoP is not the next expansion, and if it is i'll quit!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I've recently suspended payments to my World of Warcraft Subscription, because I just find this expansion to be far to dull.

I've been playing for eight years though, so I've no doubt that is the biggest factor. Mists of Pandaria is cool, but a lot of the systems I don't really like, and with my guild just sucking at normal mode content, I choose to take a break and play Guild Wars 2.

It is always doubtful that people truly quit World of Warcraft, but I do often look back in the threads like: "MoP is just a Phone App that Blizzard is releasing, I'll bet $50 it isn't an expansion" or "MoP is not the next expansion, and if it is i'll quit!".
    Uhh...what? This is the SWTOR forum.

mop is what brought me back after droppin it in cata
    do what you feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Uhh...what? This is the SWTOR forum.
    They are probably just using the "recent forum posts" thing from the frontpage again.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    Well I must say I had extremely high hopes for this game. I cant believe it ended up this way but here we are. On positive note however I did end up walking away from WoW and the subscription scene all together. At least some good came out of it.
    My takeaway as well. I still play swtor, but its more of a single player experience for me. Once I finish off all the class stories ill see what awaits.