Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayinjersey View Post
    I just don't understand why a company can't take all the stuff we loved from all the failed giants and incorporate it into one game.

The Voice Quests? loved them for Story, not so much for filler quests
    The PvP? Loved it...never enjoyed PvP so much.
    Dungeons? Loved the story driven ones
    Public quests (WAR/Rifts) Love this idea...was create fun

Add that to a smooth playstyle (and lets be fair I haven't seen an MMO that the animations seem the "smoother" than WoW) coupled with a mildly popular IP (can't think of one off the top of my head) that you can change/futz with "cannon" and I think you'd have a success.
    I think the #1 reason this isn't happening is the "mildly popular IP" component. To coordinate all those good things, with an overall vision to make it happen with a fine attention to detail, takes lots of money, initially and in the long term. That's a tough investment for someone who is drafting a new world from scratch, and way easier to stomach if it's an established IP.

And we're running out of those. LotR, Star Wars, Star Trek, seem like three big ones that had a lot of potential but just didn't cut it in the end. Original IPs can be just as awesome, but generating them (then generating fans to care about them) is way, way harder than drawing in people already predisposed to like things like lightsabers or elves.

I think the industry might draw the wrong conclusions from Tortantic and never sponsor a AAA MMO again . . . with the one exception of Titan. The future of high quality, high population MMOs kinda rests on Titan's shoulders - and I'm not very optimistic about how Blizzard is going to handle that one

Changed the thread title so it doesn't confuse people

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    One thing I am standing by though is I'm not sad enough to crawl back to WoW. No thank you Kung-fu panda and pokemon.
    When I gave up on Swtor over the summer I gave up MMOs as a whole. I'm trying to give swtor another shot (although rightfully doubtfull) but I think I'm soon gonna be back to 0 MMOs.
    I said the same thing, and here I am back in WoW with a level 90 running around doing gobs of daily quests. What it came down for me was polish and execution. With SWTOR, I loved the idea, I loved the story, and I loved the concept. I hated the execution. I hated that the achievement equivalent was broken after max level. I hated all the little things that I knew should have been done better. With WoW, I hated the panda and Pokemon concept, hated that they were catering to the far east half of their player-base, and dumbing it down to a pre teen crowd. But the execution is great, the pop culture references are spot on, and the game is still fun. I'm more than willing to pay 20 bucks a month for a Star Wars MMO, but it needs to be better than what we have been offered thus far.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacepunch View Post
    mop is what brought me back after droppin it in cata
    FFS wrong forum

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    They are probably just using the "recent forum posts" thing from the frontpage again.
    Seems like it

Edit:

Didn't see that Arlee had edited the title or the next page of posts, that will probably clear it up.

It was fun at first then I had a few 50s and cleared all the content fairly quickly up to Explosive Conflict and it just felt really boring sitting on the fleet having 2 50s fully geared. It had its amazing factors to it but in the end the hype went down really fast and then everything turned into the "coming soon" game but wasnt really provided. I backed it for years and then when it finally came the product didnt deliver. F2p might be a good model if its done right and tor is not doing it right. Then you have the developers jumping ship so fast or Bioware comanders who just coincidently retire in the midst of a failing game. I joked about the pokemon and pandas in wow leading up to mop and then I played and the theme of the xpac was pretty decent and had some great moments. (still dont have a monk/panda leveled and only played like 5 pokemon battles). Its not even star wars I think the whole mmo genre is just getting stale. Been playing mmos since Eq1 and asherons call and nothing is really new anymore.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Said the same exact thing and now I have a 90 Monk, Pally, and working on my Priest. It's still the only MMO on the market that has all the modern day features and easily the best combat system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugor View Post
    I said the same thing, and here I am back in WoW with a level 90 running around doing gobs of daily quests.
    I'm not sure what you guys are trying to say but just v=because you couldn't stand by your convictions dosn't mean that mine is gonna crumble as well.

WoW is the last thing I ever want to go back to, there hasn't been a single draw for it since mid cata. It has polish only because of it being so old but Blizzard just seems to have run outta ideas now that it can't leech of of WCIII lore anymore. Kungfu panda based of ONE joke character they had in WCIII and a half assed pokemon rip off? Oh and I hear they added Farmville. No thank you.

Then there's blizzard and its retarded petstore charging $25 for a reskin pet or Mount. Meanwhile giving less out for things like anniversaries. they used to give pets (but now dummies will buy them for $25) then they gave nothing now they give a crappy repaint of a tabard.

I really wanted to like this game and am a founder as well. Unlike others I never made it to 50 although I got close. For me, it was the simple fact that the leveling experience in the game is so bad that I just couldn't do it. Once you get to Tatooine it's just hop on the speeder and go a long way to kill a big collection of groups of 2 to 5 dudes.

I always thought the pvp was better than most of the complainers. I'm not defending it as great I just never felt it deserved the severe hate it received. In fact the WZ's are reasonably innovative and I guess I'm the only person who actually liked Hutt Ball. Personally, I think it became fashionable to complain about it and the community just went bat-crazy over it.

That said, it still has too many holes, and, it seems like the game fights you in places it really shouldn't. I've always felt that you can tell a good business by what it's doing with subtle things. For instance, a full trash can, especially one for customers makes you wonder if they can't be bothered to empty that, what else can't they be bothered with, like inventory controls, for instance. And TOR has too many full trash cans in my opinion. I'm also not very comfortable with the Cartel thing.

Anyways, I may be back in another year, but hopefully not. I'm not playing any MMO's at the moment, or even video games, and it's damn refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    I remember seeing this pic year or two back and thinking that BioWare/EA isn't stupid enough to let this happen, but here we are...
    I am starting to believe

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I am starting to believe
    Just now? Long overdue if you're just starting. The corpse has already been feasted by crows.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Just now? Long overdue if you're just starting. The corpse has already been feasted by crows.
    I don't know. Before TOR the only strike BW had in my records was DA2. And TOR while extremelly clumsy was not all bad. It's just now with the f2p charade that they are losing it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    I played the open beta for some time before release, bought the game and a supply of 4 month prepaids. The game was fun, the story line for each planet was fun. I even convinced few friends to take a break from Warcraft and play SWTOR, they managed to stay for less than a month (today they tend to remind me that they could get a bottle of good whiskey for the price of the game) and only 2 remained subbed for longer but no more than 2 months.

The game was great at the start, gave it the "recently released" status hoping that Bioware would implement things alot of people considered basic for MMO. Bioware made tons of promises but kept only few.

Perhaps today I am sentimental because I watched few movies my guild made from our kills in first ops in SWTOR. This game had so much potential but turned out like it is now, lacking in every aspect, mismanaged...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madderdin View Post
    I played the open beta for some time before release, bought the game and a supply of 4 month prepaids. The game was fun, the story line for each planet was fun. I even convinced few friends to take a break from Warcraft and play SWTOR, they managed to stay for less than a month (today they tend to remind me that they could get a bottle of good whiskey for the price of the game) and only 2 remained subbed for longer but no more than 2 months.

The game was great at the start, gave it the "recently released" status hoping that Bioware would implement things alot of people considered basic for MMO. Bioware made tons of promises but kept only few.

Perhaps today I am sentimental because I watched few movies my guild made from our kills in first ops in SWTOR. This game had so much potential but turned out like it is now, lacking in every aspect, mismanaged...
    That's the keyword for me. Mismanaged.

I've logged in moreorless every day since day 1 of early access. 2 accounts left open. 14 toons to lvl 50, handful to lower levels. I still raid with my guild. I still enjoy this game to an extent. However I believe BW to be one of the worst things to happen to TOR (if that makes any sense).

Merry Xmas to all btw. /Wookieehug!

Deleted
    I hope making this expansion does not backfire on them. I don't really fancy paying for it as a preferred player to not see a lot of content.
    I see no good coming from them raising the level cap apart form making a lot of content obsolete. Unless it scales up then of course then it will still be relevant if the drops scale too.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    I'm not sure what you guys are trying to say but just v=because you couldn't stand by your convictions dosn't mean that mine is gonna crumble as well.
    I went back to WoW because my wife couldn't get into Rift and I got tired of the MMO genre in general. So now I play here and there, PvP a little, farm on my farm a little, etc. Does that count as being unable to stand by my convictions?

I never dropped warcraft entirely for this. Years ago when Warcraft had their Cata expansion which frankly I thought the fights were too tough. I would group in random dungeon finder. It was very often you'd see a group get ready to go after 45 minutes then drop after the first boss pull. I never thought "Well I'm going switch to TOR over this" while many fan boys from both player base taunted each other about the superior game as if the winning game subs would get something in the mail.

I decided to play for entertainment. I completed pretty much almost every single class quest chain on TOR and I thought some of these were very compelling engaging and interesting. The problem is TOR has only a new class quest but the same repeatable side quests that quickly get boring. It's designed to reward for single player action more. It doesn't encourage grouping or rewards like same games as GW2 does.

Despite everything that has took place. I'm happy with the game. Is it a fun and interesting game? yes. Is it enough to make me log in every single day and grind? not really no. I take comfort in that because I don't want spend entire day trying to reach one level. At the end it's just for fun and you're personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I knew fairly early on it wasn't going to end up that way because my wife made it to level 35 and just stopped. She literally went back to Coruscant to turn in a quest on her Trooper and then just stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    This happened to me too. My wife saw me playing, took lots of interest, kept raving about her Twilek smuggler, and then out of nowhere I was having to force her to play it with me which felt terrible. It wasn't long after she stopped that I really started getting the nagging feeling the game wasn't going anywhere.
    It's kind of funny because it was the opposite with my wife. She knew that I was right about TOR, but she enjoyed the game. She said she was so comfortable playing her Sorc that she didn't feel self-conscious healing randoms (I don't know why she would ever feel that way, but whatever). She quit because I quit. I quit because I had the sneaking suspicion that the game was going F2P due to the alarming lack of new content.

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 09:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    It's designed to reward for single player action more.
    I'm not sure how you can say that when grouping gives an experience boost, loot boost, and social points. I know that the social points are kinda "meh", but there are definitely rewards for being grouped in TOR. I actually found TOR to be much more friendly to group play than most other MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by scamander View Post
    ...on old threads in this very forum is actually really funny.
    People mentioning that they are dropping WoW for this and never going back, only to have their Sigs / avatars updated to Pandaria ones.
    Saying that this will be the MMO that everyone compares future MMO's to in the future.
    Even more extreme claims waay before release that it wold revolutionize MMO combat etc. (no auto attack)

Do many of you feel the same way you did a year ago? So many people that still post on these very forums opinions of the company(s) seems to have changed so much in the past year, and while I am really sorry that for alot of you the game did not live up to expectations, has it for any of you?

If this sounds like I am trolling or whatever I am not, as a game, I actually enjoy free SWtOR, and enjoyed it when I paid for it first 2 months of its life, and I am a pround 'Founder'. It has definitely been an interesting year for ToR and one of the most interesting MMO's progress to watch no matter what side of the fence you are on
    Looking back on my posting after playing the Thanksgiving beta weekend, every concern I had turned out to be valid and, hell, dead spot on target. Unfortunately. Starting with that it felt like a great single player game with the MMO part added as almost an afterthought...and afterthought without much thought to it.

The more I played, the more the in-game flaws became readily apparant. It soon became a relief to log back into WoW, because I dodn't have to deal with all the numerous flaws of TOR. When the MoP beta weekend started, and I realized I'd had more fun in 2 hours of the first weekend of an overcrowded starting zone (with all that implies) than I'd had in 4+ months of daily playing SWTOR, that ended my daily returns to the frustrating mess of SWTOR. The devil is in the details, and BW and EA totally screwed up on the details...and that's just for starters.
    Last edited by Aeka; 2012-12-22 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's kind of funny because it was the opposite with my wife. She knew that I was right about TOR, but she enjoyed the game. She said she was so comfortable playing her Sorc that she didn't feel self-conscious healing randoms (I don't know why she would ever feel that way, but whatever). She quit because I quit. I quit because I had the sneaking suspicion that the game was going F2P due to the alarming lack of new content.

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 09:01 AM ----------

I'm not sure how you can say that when grouping gives an experience boost, loot boost, and social points. I know that the social points are kinda "meh", but there are definitely rewards for being grouped in TOR. I actually found TOR to be much more friendly to group play than most other MMOs.
    Social Points are good to redeem for emotes...like /dance with you're companions. I virtually found nothing valuable in it. But some do. When you group for a Flash Point of course you get loot bonus for downing an elite boss. I'm talking about generally when you are questing. It seems to be a more of a solo experience.

You don't see many people on planets randomly grouping up. Or at least I don't there is no big reward unless doing a daily or doing a flash point. Most people go to a planet and complete all side missions on their own. In GW2 for example you can join an experience without inviting them to group and everyone gets points for taking place.

The story's are great. And choices are compelling but aside from PVP and Operations. I just don't see the dramatic thing that makes me want to group up with random people. Some people do and that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Social Points are good to redeem for emotes...like /dance with you're companions. I virtually found nothing valuable in it. But some do. When you group for a Flash Point of course you get loot bonus for downing an elite boss. I'm talking about generally when you are questing. It seems to be a more of a solo experience.

You don't see many people on planets randomly grouping up. Or at least I don't there is no big reward unless doing a daily or doing a flash point. Most people go to a planet and complete all side missions on their own. In GW2 for example you can join an experience without inviting them to group and everyone gets points for taking place.

The story's are great. And choices are compelling but aside from PVP and Operations. I just don't see the dramatic thing that makes me want to group up with random people. Some people do and that's great.
    Like I said, most MMOs don't really give you a big reason to group up with anybody aside from, maybe, GW2. However, like I said before, you get loot bonuses in TOR for being in groups. Not for being in FPs or Ops (in which groups are pretty much mandatory), but out questing in the open world. Not quest rewards, but loot drops are better. Plus, you gain more experience by being in a group then you do by playing solo. Also more credits. There ARE benefits to grouping unlike, let's say, WoW. During Cataclysm, my wife and I grouped up from 80-85. We didn't hit 85 until we were in Twilight Highlands. That's with doing all the quests in both starter zones and my wife herbalizing everything in sight. When I leveled my alts, without heirloom gear, I hit 85 in Uldum. So, while you may not get that "Ermagerd" weapon or armor, you DO still gain benefits by grouping in TOR. More than most other MMOs.

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jamos77 View Post
    That's the keyword for me. Mismanaged.

I've logged in moreorless every day since day 1 of early access. 2 accounts left open. 14 toons to lvl 50, handful to lower levels. I still raid with my guild. I still enjoy this game to an extent. However I believe EA to be one of the worst things to happen to TOR (if that makes any sense).

Merry Xmas to all btw. /Wookieehug!
    Fixed that for you. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Game disappointed me greatly, I played it longer than I really should have, for the sole reason of being Star Wars.