Deleted

Radeon 6970 Noise

Hi Folks,

Does anyone here have experience with the 6970 series of cards? In particular, the fan noise is driving me nuts (lack of noise is important to me)

Basically, there's only one small fan at the end of the card that doesnt have enough throughput to cool the card sufficiently - any graphics intensive game (and sometimes even WoW) has to work overtime to put out the heat. Average temps under load are around 90°C which also concerns me a bit.

Are there any good solutions, or am I looking at a new card? I've seen the aftemarket coolers, but it doesnt look like they'd fit the card as default and I'd need to do some dismantling work. I have a feeling I may have a pre-overclocked version, so could maybe lower the settings and see if that makes a difference?

My bad for not researching this properly before buying before dropping the cash on the card a few years back, but it's really getting on my nerves.

Thanks!

how old is the card? the heat sink could be full of dust. if so clean it using proper methods.
    i had a similar issue with my 5770. turned out there was alot of dust. dust filters can help.

other than that i have no idea. just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by MickoLis View Post
    how old is the card? the heat sink could be full of dust. if so clean it using proper methods.
    i had a similar issue with my 5770. turned out there was alot of dust. dust filters can help.

other than that i have no idea. just my two cents
    While its natural for a clogged fan to make more noise assuming all brands are identical is kind of ridiculous. #1 The tiny little chip inside is the only piece outside of reference design that will be identical card to card.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikosh View Post
    Are there any good solutions, or am I looking at a new card? I've seen the aftemarket coolers, but it doesnt look like they'd fit the card as default and I'd need to do some dismantling work.
    Aftermarket coolers should work, look up the compatibility. Reference cards have the highest chance of being compatible with aftermarket VGA coolers.

Have you considered trying Red Mod?

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Aftermarket coolers should work, look up the compatibility. Reference cards have the highest chance of being compatible with aftermarket VGA coolers.

Have you considered trying Red Mod?
    There are some more expensive aftermarket coolers available i.e http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FZCY4Aodsl4AzA I feel like it will quiet things down lol