Poll: which is more important

Discipline or Determination, Which is better in an individual

What do you consider more important, Discipline or Determination. I will post my own opinion after first page as to try to remain a non - factor in initial bias

Discipline for sure. Determined can mean that someone will do WHATEVER it takes to get the job done, which will not always be in the best interest of those they work with, for or around.

As a management type, I'd rather my people be devoted to the cause. Discipline will slip on occasion; that's fine, that's the way the world works. We can work on that. What we cannot do is create motivation for people beyond a certain extent of incentives and disincentives. People have to choose to be determined, to strive for the common cause, and if they make that decision they're tremendously valuable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your question is too vague, makes it sound like you're trying too hard to be deep.

10+ Year Old Account
    voting discipline here since determination can land you in lawsuits, doing stuff legally and properly it doesn't
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Discipline for sure. Determined can mean that someone will do WHATEVER it takes to get the job done, which will not always be in the best interest of those they work with, for or around.
    If they work in a destructive manner, you have failed to explain to them the circumstances surrounding them. Give your people the information they need to be successful in your organization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discipline

I suppose from my own perspective determined has generally been better. I've worked with quite a few people who while disciplined were essentially incapable of planning for the future and increasing efficiency. Determined people can be a drag for monotonous tasks but determination can allow for a degree of self discipline

Deleted
    Probably discipline.

Discipline I would say. Determination can be useful, but at the same time it can get you in bad situations as well.

discipline can't really be bad. if discipline is bad, the rules you're asking them to adhere to are bad

determination can be anything. you hear about determination in relation to failure.

Discipline. Determination can be determination for anything.

Though disciplined determination is best, probably.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Discipline because it provides the foundation for everything else. Being unable to decide on something has nothing to do with discipline, at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Determination. No advances have ever been made by people simply following already established rules.

Discipline, I just watched "The Last Samurai" and it changed my life

10+ Year Old Account
    My view is that determination is the most preferable of the two. Whilst discipline might more often be a more efficient way to get things done, I do think that determined people who lack discipline end up failing that which they do not like, despite their determination, which forces them to find out what they're passionate about, for which they do not need discipline, which means that the determination will take you as far as you want it to. I think it more often leads to a more enjoyable life.

For those of you who choose discipline: Remember, the scenario is not only that the determined person lacks discipline, but also that the disciplined person lacks determination. I personally wouldn't want to live a life without determination
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Deleted
    discipline if you want to work for someone, Determination if you wish to work for yourself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Discipline, I just watched "The Last Samurai" and it changed my life
    You know all the samurai die, right? Sure it seems all noble and glorious and stuff but would you really rather be dead and steeped in tradition than innovative and still breathing?

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    You know all the samurai die, right? Sure it seems all noble and glorious and stuff but would you really rather be dead and steeped in tradition than innovative and still breathing?
    Idk it's really emotional when Tom Cruise becomes the last samurai I heard it's a true story too

You can be as disciplined and well behaved as you want, and it might help you get along with society, but if you have no determination you have no drive, like a car without gas, you won't move.

Then again, determination without discipline is mashing on the gas pedal with no restraint. That won't end well either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.