Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well, I was hoping the game would be pvp focused with pve on the side. Sure pve people qq but there are so many pve mmos out there so why not use the game to play on the side of the other pve mmos (between raid hours and such)? Sure, I dont know how satisfying wow raids, rift raids and so one are these days but GW2 sure didnt end up pvp focused and pve version seems to be unsatisfying as well so this is how things turned out. Somehow they needed the pve people to pay the man and then it all turned out into some big giggy ol mess and lack of communication and hotfixes leaves us with the game we got today. It didnt have to be but it did. I liked the snowball game but it was just a christmas event. Will take some time and fixes before I return to the game. The spvp community is lost and one might wonder if it will ever turn back. Sure, it's not much competition out there for competitive mmo pvp, but did competitive mmo pvp players hang in there or did they settle for other games out there instead?
    The future sure is interesting to follow, but so far most mmos that lost players kept losing players instead of having a huge gain... perhaps miracles can happen this time?
    But you see, there are many players out there ( myself inc ) who really like the way they have implemented PVP in GW2. They donot have to worry about getting ganked, accidently flagging PVP, ( happens a lot in other MMO where PVP is mixed in with PVE in the game world ) or the need to do the flagging crap if they want to engage in PVP. This does fit into the topic of this thread, because before I purchased GW2, I did some careful research on how they did PVP in the game and liked what I saw. And it is just the way they promised it would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I was hoping the game would be pvp focused with pve on the side. Sure pve people qq but there are so many pve mmos out there so why not use the game to play on the side of the other pve mmos (between raid hours and such)? Sure, I dont know how satisfying wow raids, rift raids and so one are these days but GW2 sure didnt end up pvp focused and pve version seems to be unsatisfying as well so this is how things turned out. Somehow they needed the pve people to pay the man and then it all turned out into some big giggy ol mess and lack of communication and hotfixes leaves us with the game we got today. It didnt have to be but it did. I liked the snowball game but it was just a christmas event. Will take some time and fixes before I return to the game. The spvp community is lost and one might wonder if it will ever turn back. Sure, it's not much competition out there for competitive mmo pvp, but did competitive mmo pvp players hang in there or did they settle for other games out there instead?
    The future sure is interesting to follow, but so far most mmos that lost players kept losing players instead of having a huge gain... perhaps miracles can happen this time?
    Well seeing as how there is going to be an entire major patch dedicated to PvP you shouldn't even be complaining because no other MMO out there would even do that (well any major MMO). And again, this isn't a failed promise, this was NEVER promised by anet, in fact they even said the game would NOT be PvP focused and that they'd want to balance the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    I dont think anyone complained about no factions and no pvp out in the pve world
    The issue is spvp and I like the idea behind it, many people do or did. Many of us followed game before launch and had good hopes.
    But spvp in GW2 is not a living community, read official spvp forum, check heart of the mist, queue for paid, look how many hotjoin servers are going on. Many people bought the game in good hopes for it's spvp, many now left and that's because of something.
    Sure, we are promised a big pvp patch in january... but they communicate next to nothing with the games playerbase so it's a wait and see what is actually in it. December patch would have been a big spvp balance patch but what we got was underwater combat fixes.... makes no sense to me but perhaps to you.
    They promised a living spvp game perfect for e-sport... but so far the game still got bugs, still missing e-sport functionality, still got balance issues to make a viable e-sport going on, number of competitive teams you can count on your fingers and a very small casual pvp playing community.
    I dont care about other mmos that ditched pvp for pve, I ditched them as well... and Im currently not playing GW2 either. I just hope they seriously try to fix things, since pve players got all attention so far and still only qq the pvp players might be the once to go for... but I believe that bringing back a big and living pvp community will be hard. Like I said, I've yet to see any mmo succeed in bringing players back and gain players rather than losing and keep on losing players.

This whole argument that Guild Wars 2 PvP is "dead" implies that it can never become popular after this point, and that's the argument that really frustrates me. What everyone fails to typically recognize is the fact that there are plenty of games that weren't initially popular as an e-sport but grew into that scene as the demand was satiated with support by the devs. According to Anet, the next two patches (January and February) are sPvP and WvW focused respectively and I argue that even that aside there is no reason why a PvP scene should be considered "dead" in the sense that it is buried and gone. Whether or not the sPvP scene can become truly popular is irrelevant to the speed with which they put these features in.

There have been dedicated PVP patches in mainstream MMOs before.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think anyone complained about no factions and no pvp out in the pve world
    The issue is spvp and I like the idea behind it, many people do or did. Many of us followed game before launch and had good hopes.
    But spvp in GW2 is not a living community, read official spvp forum, check heart of the mist, queue for paid, look how many hotjoin servers are going on. Many people bought the game in good hopes for it's spvp, many now left and that's because of something.
    Sure, we are promised a big pvp patch in january... but they communicate next to nothing with the games playerbase so it's a wait and see what is actually in it. December patch would have been a big spvp balance patch but what we got was underwater combat fixes.... makes no sense to me but perhaps to you.
    They promised a living spvp game perfect for e-sport... but so far the game still got bugs, still missing e-sport functionality, still got balance issues to make a viable e-sport going on, number of competitive teams you can count on your fingers and a very small casual pvp playing community.
    I dont care about other mmos that ditched pvp for pve, I ditched them as well... and Im currently not playing GW2 either. I just hope they seriously try to fix things, since pve players got all attention so far and still only qq the pvp players might be the once to go for... but I believe that bringing back a big and living pvp community will be hard. Like I said, I've yet to see any mmo succeed in bringing players back and gain players rather than losing and keep on losing players.
    Pve wasn't the only thing getting stuff, PvP AND PvE got balance fixes, however I agree that sPvP is lacking a little, idk what it's even missing, I like the modes, I like the maps (especially Capricorn) I like how tourneys worn but there's something keeping me from actually wanting to PvP which is weird. Personally, I would LOVE for more of the january patch being shared with us but in all reality they're not giving any less info than a lot of other companies, they've just spoiled us with the sheer amount of info they've given us early on (which was REALLY nice and I miss).

@ fencers, personally, I haven't seen a single patch in neither MMO geared entirely for PvP there are some that add PvP content but those are more on par with the November patch where they add like 2 things.

PS: they said they're working on matchmaking ATM (or maybe it was viewing)so there's still time to become an Esport... However the sooner they get it going the BETTER!!
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the dev interview on sPVP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByqoWsnz-I
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    @ fencers, personally, I haven't seen a single patch in neither MMO geared entirely for PvP there are some that add PvP content but those are more on par with the November patch where they add like 2 things.
    You have no guarantee or knowledge that the upcoming patch will contain PVP only content. Which is pretty unlikely for Anet to do as a major patch. Which would put it squarely in line with other MMOs that have PVP-centric patches. A common practice in post World of Warcraft mainstream MMOs.

I am not taking any issue with Anet. But don't invent credit for something no player currently has public knowledge of in the absolute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You have no guarantee or knowledge that the upcoming patch will contain PVP only content. Which is pretty unlikely for Anet to do as a major patch. Which would put it squarely in line with other MMOs that have PVP-centric patches. A common practice in post World of Warcraft mainstream MMOs.

I am not taking any issue with Anet. But don't invent credit for something no player currently has public knowledge of in the absolute.
    Well I said major MMo (Rift, WoW, SwTOr) and they said the patch was going to be entirerly PvP (well PvP focused there's likely gonna be some PVE stuff but probably only an event chain or two) and WvW is PvP too so it wouldn't be hard for them to do an entire PvP patch that gave WvW a bunch of stuff an then sprinkle some stuff into sPvP where the other games would just cause all sorts of hatred and fury should they dedicate an entire patch to PvP.

Well I said major MMo (Rift, WoW, SwTOr)...
    And I said other mainstream MMOs have "PVP patches" too. -_-

...and they said the patch was going to be entirerly PvP (well PvP focused there's likely gonna be some PVE stuff but probably only an event chain or two)
    And that would be exactly the same as other PVP centric patches of competing MMOs in the post World of Warcraft era. -_- ^2

Having a "PVP patch" isn't particularly remarkable or unheard of in MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I said other mainstream MMOs have "PVP patches" too. -_-

And that would be exactly the same as other PVP centric patches of competing MMOs in the post World of Warcraft era. -_- ^2

Having a "PVP patch" isn't particularly remarkable or unheard of in MMOs.
    I'm going more for uncommon because most other MMOs are PvE centric with PvP tacked on, GW1&2 have more of a balanced PvE an PvP system.

I'm going more for uncommon because most other MMOs are PvE centric with PvP tacked on, GW1&2 have more of a balanced PvE an PvP system.
    Then it would be uncommon in GW1 & 2 as well by the standard of other MMOs and Anet's own history too.

PVP centric patches w/ & w/o PVE concessions are less common than PVE centric patches w/ & w/o PVP concessions. The practice of both is not without precedent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then it would be uncommon in GW1 & 2 as well by the standard of other MMOs and Anet's own history too.

PVP centric patches w/ & w/o PVE concessions are less common than PVE centric patches w/ & w/o PVP concessions. The practice of both is not without precedent.
    I'm saying it shouldn't be as uncommon because of WvW and they'll likely be eager to add stuff to there, where games like WoW wont touch PvP with a 10ft pole unless it's to make a prof OP or to make World PvP impossible/not as favorable as PvP in BGs (i mean fuck, why would you cut the Honor gain by 50% when it's already the lowest gain?)

I see. You really meant World of Warcraft not, "any major MMO".

10+ Year Old Account
    I see. You really meant World of Warcraft not, "any major MMO".
    Well, i was using that as an example, Rift hasn't really had a major PvP patch (well at least from what i've seen) same with SWTOR. Now i may have just been under a rock and not noticed them, but i'm just speaking from my personal viewpoint.

swtors last patch was a pvp patch, now whether you consider it a major one I'm not sure. That all depends on your criteria of a major patch.

Well, i was using that as an example, Rift hasn't really had a major PvP patch (well at least from what i've seen) same with SWTOR. Now i may have just been under a rock and not noticed them, but i'm just speaking from my personal viewpoint.
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/updates/conquest.php
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/upda...l-ascended.php
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/upda...of-history.php

Pretty major shifts and patches in the PVP of Rift. New WFs, 3 faction PVP, PVP rifts, alternate mode WFs, prestige system, etc.

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates

Ancient Hypergate. SWTOR.

Aion has had a bunch as well but their updates list is far less organized. >.>

Guilwars 1 wasnt a big raiding game. Guildwars 2 most likely will provide better in game content but you need to give it some time. Right now I would be more pleased if they worked on existing issues such as quest chain bugs (like the gates of Arah) and some better glass balancing. Right now I dont think the game is ready for raids, as party roles are still being balanced and callobrated in that respect.

10+ Year Old Account

Rift typically pumps out more content then most MMO's per patch but even though PvP isn't their main selling feature they still do some patches where it's primary feature for that patch and even focus their trailers for these pvp patches around the content. (There's actually more when they add new warfronts)

Be careful when using Rift for comparisons if you've not done your homework or actually played the game very little. I'll always be happy to point them out though.

Conquest, 3 faction PvP

Conquest trailer (they did 2 of them): Sourcre

Open World PvP Rifts & new warfront Patch 1.6 primarily focused on PvP: Source

10+ Year Old Account
    The only promise that was broken was not having the Guesting feature at launch.

It's cool that they are letting us have free server transfers until they get it in
    Valar morghulis