Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Giant sonic boom felt and heard in Indianapolis Indiana(meteor? mass devastation Info

Link: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread898437/pg1
    Can anyone who lives relatively near the area confirm?

10+ Year Old Account
    I live less than 2 hours away if it was anything big I would have felt it like I did the Earthquake this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I live less than 2 hours away if it was anything big I would have felt it like I did the Earthquake this morning.
    Well apparently it destroyed a neighborhood so it seems pretty damn big to me.

If it's the story that's on Fox, ABC News, etc - looks like 2 houses destroyed from an explosion and others (number unclear, some say 4) on fire.

No word on source of explosion. My first thought is a gas main.

15+ Year Old Account
    People are saying there was an earthquake right before they heard the blast, so you're most likely right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zace View Post
    Well apparently it destroyed a neighborhood so it seems pretty damn big to me.
    2 homes and damage to a dozen more is hardly a destroyed neighborhood, and yes it is big. But on the grand scale, which is what I was referring to, it is small. Hence why I said if it was anything big I would have felt it. It would have to be pretty damn big for me to feel it. Which is why I also mentioned the earthquake as well. Sorry for the confusion.

Just to clarify, the quake I am referring to happened yesterday, I guess I still thought i was Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...se111012a#dyfi

Wasn't that big of an earthquake (I was pretty close to the epicenter but all it did was rumble a bit for 15 seconds or so), but could have been enough to cause some problems with a gas line. Sounds likely to me.

Ya the explosion was likely natural gas related.

If it was a meteor, there would be a LOT more destruction than just 2 houses...
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    If it was a meteor, there would be a LOT more destruction than just 2 houses...
    Not necessarily. Some rocks that reach the Earth burn so badly there's almost nothing left.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    The idiocy in that thread is really painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    The idiocy in that thread is really painful.
    i like how some of the people are speculating that it might have been a missile attack and that it could be the start of a new war.

Sounds like a gas main explosion. Gas mains is leaking, sleepy guy goes downstairs for something to eat/drink, doesn't notice the smell of gas, turns the light on, BOOM. Damage done is about right for that kind of accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Sounds like a gas main explosion. Gas mains is leaking, sleepy guy goes downstairs for something to eat/drink, doesn't notice the smell of gas, turns the light on, BOOM. Damage done is about right for that kind of accident.
    could also be a vacant house completely filled with gas it sure would cause a explosion with enough force to do this kind of damage, could also be the gas line rupturing and somehow igniting i'd imagine that would be one hell of a blast aswell.

an earthquake exposed a gas main, then a meteor the size of a baseball post-entry, struck said gas main.
    This information is entirely based off of my assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefox View Post
    an earthquake exposed a gas main, then a meteor the size of a baseball post-entry, struck said gas main.
    Doesn't need a meteor, somebody turning a light on within 100 yards would set it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    It happened at 11pm last night and we still don't know what caused it? I find that strange.

Plane crash, natural gas, drone strike, spontaneous combustion, haarp?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted

This probably happend.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefox View Post
    This post vaguely reminds me of the Tie Vote what-if of XKCD. http://what-if.xkcd.com/

Putting all this together: The probability that every battleground state is exactly tied is roughly equal to the probability that, when one of the Florida electors reaches into the hat to draw a name, he or she is struck by a falling cocaine bale, the hat is hurled away within the next few seconds by a tornado, and the elector is obliterated minutes later by a meteorite impact.
    More seriously though, this sounds like a major natural gas explosion, basically. Terrible, but fortunate that there were not more deaths. Natural gas explosions can be TERRIFICALLY powerful. If it were a plane crash, then there'd be pretty obvious debris in some of the many pictures now floating around the net. If it were a bomb... well, they'd be evacuating people over a considerably larger area in case of secondary devices. More likely there's just too much devastation for the time being to make a sure call on the cause yet, and it's also why there's arson investigators there.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-11-11 at 12:59 PM.