The Workout, Health and Nutrition Thread

I am going to get in shape. But I was blessed with a fast metabolism as a kid and was very active. It has been only in the last few years living this so called "real life" that I have turned into someone unhealthy and in a shape I do not want to be in. I have no clue how to get healthy. I do not know what foods to eat, good exercises and good habits to work into my day to day.

So I am making this thread to gather and share info for anyone else looking to get in shape or just hit a physical goal. Anyone with input please share. This thread is to help encourage me to achieve my goal, and I hope others can set their goals and as a community support each other to reach them. I will update with more info tomorrow.

Deleted
    Download p90x

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a video w/ a powerpoint presentation showing you how to go about losing weight(which im assuming you're trying to do). It's 10 minutes long, but worth the watch.

As for the diet, don't stress too much. Eat your whole foods, get in 2-3+ servings of fruits/vegetables, fiber(25+ grams). If you have some calories left over, don't be afraid to have some of your favorite foods/snacks. As long as you're hitting your caloric/macronutrient needs, you'll be fine
    Last edited by Shik Valentine; 2012-12-22 at 02:03 AM.

Deleted
    Ah metabolism, it's the key to fitness but the word sure is thrown around a lot.

It varies greatly but generally speaking all kids have 'fast' metabolisms as they are growing and growing takes a huge amount of energy. You would have to have an underlying genetic condition, a medical problem or eat a ridiculous amount of food combined with no exercise to be obese as a child, especially during the stages of puberty.

It "slows" once you stop growing and become an adult (generally 18, some people 21, some people as late as 25).

The best way to build up your metabolism as an adult is too build up your muscles with full body exercises and cutting out the garbage in your nutrition.

This doesn't meaning going to the gym and doing isolation exercises (like only doing the bench press till you hit 200kg) or extreme dieting where you cut out carbs or only eat once a day or whatever. It simply means working all your muscles, restricting foods which are high in fat and calories and hitting your nutrient targets.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts

There are some great exercises on their to get your started as a lot on there don't even need a gym, but keep a focused mind and ignore the propaganda. It is unlikely that you'll get a 6-pac in 10 weeks :P

Forgive me but I'm about to be a nitpicky douche:

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    This doesn't meaning going to the gym and doing isolation exercises (like only doing the bench press till you hit 200kg) or extreme dieting where you cut out carbs or only eat once a day or whatever. It simply means working all your muscles, restricting foods which are high in fat and calories and hitting your nutrient targets.
    Two things:

1) Bench press is not an isolation exercise. If anything it's the best compound exercise for your upper body.
    2) You can eat a lot of fat and still lose weight; calories is all that matters

To the OP: no one can give you specific advice unless you give us specific goals. If you want to get big and strong strong you're gonna have a different routine than someone who wants to get skinny and lean. You say you're out of shape so right now doing any kind of exercise and eating even slightly better than you're currently eating is going to be a step in the right direction, but if you want real advice, find out what you want first.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post

Two things:

1) Bench press is not an isolation exercise. If anything it's the best compound exercise for your upper body.

To the OP: no one can give you specific advice unless you give us specific goals. If you want to get big and strong strong you're gonna have a different routine than someone who wants to get skinny and lean. You say you're out of shape so right now doing any kind of exercise and eating even slightly better than you're currently eating is going to be a step in the right direction, but if you want real advice, find out what you want first.

Bench press is one of those exercises that people think they know how to do correctly and they screw up their shoulder/rotator.
    Obviously bench is biggest compound movement for the upper body, that's like says the dead lift or squat is the biggest lower body compound exercise.

I agree you can lose weight by just eating fat but your not going to go anywhere fast, if your looking to be fit or even having a good quality of life.

Most my protein comes from organic free range meat or fish or nuts/beans

Fats are from those above and then use olive oil or coconut oil.

Carbs for the most part come from veggies. No rice, bread, flour, corn.

Mostly drink water and wine.

It does mostly comes down to diet
    70 diet / 30 working out.
    Or something similar.

Deleted

Two things:

No problem, I understand that it was a poor choice of exercise to use as an example.

It simply floated into my mind because there's a guy at my gym who seems to do nothing but bench press, and whilst he's very strong and very good at it he doesn't have an "attractive" build because he's isolating those muscles and not working anything else. When you're aiming for a lean build (low bodyfat, 6-pac etc..) it's important to work all the muscles to increase your BMR.

Would you mind expanded on the fat part though? It was my understanding that some fats, particularly saturated fats, were a massive "no no" when it comes to nutrition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    Would you mind expanded on the fat part though? It was my understanding that some fats, particularly saturated fats, were a massive "no no" when it comes to nutrition.
    Truth be told, there is no real massive "no no" when it comes to nutrition, everything is about how it fits together in your macros. A calorie is pretty much a calorie so how you plan to be in a deficit is pretty much up to yourself. However, some foods has different properties that can affect your body composition, for better or worse, but this is for many overcomplicating the process so one should ignore it for most parts.

More to point, good diets to lose weight actually include lots of fats and protein. These 2 macros gives you a much longer lasting satiated feeling than carbs. Of course, as much as possible you should stay away from the more unhealthy fats from fast food and sources alike. My favorite diet is 40/40/20, which is 40% fat and protein and 20% carbs. Fats from nuts, fish, meat, oils are largely favorable.

10+ Year Old Account

Actually the best upper-body compound lift is the front-lat pulldown with an angled torso. Unfortunately it does not work the chest, and thus people often don't see the benefit of doing this exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by the kins man View Post

Actually the best upper-body compound lift is the front-lat pulldown with an angled torso. Unfortunately it does not work the chest, and thus people often don't see the benefit of doing this exercise.
    Lat pull down? As in with a machine? That's bullshit. No machine work can compare to barbell and free weight work. Pulldowns are definitely worse exercises than pull-ups and chin-ups. Had you said one of those I could have agreed with you (although bench is the only upper body exercise that's gonna get your chest big and strong so I'd argue that it's more important than either of those; you can still get a strong back without chin-ups).

Deleted
    Last edited by mmoc66337a3447; 2016-05-11 at 08:28 AM.

Deleted
    Lat pull down? As in with a machine? That's bullshit. No machine work can compare to barbell and free weight work. Pulldowns are definitely worse exercises than pull-ups and chin-ups. Had you said one of those I could have agreed with you (although bench is the only upper body exercise that's gonna get your chest big and strong so I'd argue that it's more important than either of those; you can still get a strong back without chin-ups).
    Personally I'd put the Clean&Jerk above bench - for one key reason - it's a more functional movement with more real-world utility. There's also nothing really wrong with lat pulldowns - it's a key progression for those that are unable to correctly perform pullups.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the kins man View Post
    What a weird statement, your argument would hold more water if you mentioned pull ups since that exercise active alot more muslces than a lat pulldown.