Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Which 3 professions/ activity are making you the most money right now?

I would say mine are:

1. JC by a long way
    2. Alchemy
    3. Enchanting

I would normally say JC, but I can't get a damn thing to sell unless it's Tuesday and I'm in hawk-mode. Either way, my list is the same as yours.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Enchanting

2) Inscription

3) Jewelcrafting

The constant stream of enchants being sold is finally starting to out do the big dollops of cash coming in when I sell a trinket or card deck, neither take much time so it's pretty even, but with enchanting coming out on top past month. Jewelcrafting is pretty good, BUT it would be nothing without Alchemy. If I put the profit I make from Meta's and transmuted gems on the Alchemy tab then it might be outdoing Jewelcrafting actually. But you can't really sell very many gems raw, so you still need a JC to get the gems cut, so I'll give the edge to Jewelcrafting.

I use to make a dump load of money selling PVP cloth but thats not happening anymore, must have something to do with how if you buy new gear to try pvp you get mud stomped by the guys who have farmed up pvp gear. Its at the point that mats are more valuable then what you make with them.

I'm making some scratch here and there because I vary my portfolio but mostly I make money by not spending money on stuff that I can supply myself because I have 4 alts with maxed professions.

That and theres too many people who don't understand the fine art of undercutting by a single bronze coin, like they are going to scare everyone else out of the market by cutting the profits down when all it does is ensure that they undercut you again and everyone looses profit. People are going to buy the cheapest listed item regardless if its for 100 gold less or 1 bronze less.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Darkmoon Decks are going for about 10k on my realm, whereas the trinkets go for 30k+..
    I just flip 2-3 when I need some cash.

But yeah, proffesions I'd go with:
    Anything that can make 496 BoE's (low pop realm, have fun charging 5k+ for being the only person on the realm who can make them)
    Anything that can make 476 BoE's (almost the same as above, most people are just too lazy to farm spirits)
    JC

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post

That and theres too many people who don't understand the fine art of undercutting by a single bronze coin, like they are going to scare everyone else out of the market by cutting the profits down when all it does is ensure that they undercut you again and everyone looses profit. People are going to buy the cheapest listed item regardless if its for 100 gold less or 1 bronze less.
    I always lol at this theory because time moves on. People will always buy the cheapest assuming its something they want. Some people will be more likely to make an impulse purchase if the item is a bargain, so deep unercutting may work in attracting more buyers or deterring your competition. Your version is too simplistic and its a bit delusional to call it an art as any addon does it for you.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong here. I have the same professions maxed as the OP. I used to make a ton of gold in wrath with JC and alchemy transmutes. I was unsubbed for a lot of cata and now am playing more regularly. Checking the undermine journal it seems there are some pretty profitable enchanting scrolls, I'll have to track that a bit. But for alchemy and JC it seems most items look like a loss, what am I missing that is bringing in the profits now?

Deleted
    Selling pandaren spirit pets / 5.1 pets ( 4k-8k each )
    I also made some gold buying DMC decks really cheap ( @ 5k tops ) and selling them for double and even triple the price.
    I made @ 70k gold the past few days from doing basically nothing.

ps: I also got full tailoring and inscription, but I mostly use them for the enchants lol. Tailoring brings me @ 5k a week ( for the chest pattern ) I also got 10 scrolls of wisom which I'll use to make more decks even cheaper.
    Last edited by mmoc30581c569a; 2012-12-21 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    I always lol at this theory because time moves on. People will always buy the cheapest assuming its something they want. Some people will be more likely to make an impulse purchase if the item is a bargain, so deep unercutting may work in attracting more buyers or deterring your competition. Your version is too simplistic and its a bit delusional to call it an art as any addon does it for you.
    What is this impulse shopping your speak of? Nobody goes to the auction house and just looks up random stuff like women do in Target. They say, "I need a better chest piece, lets see what there is." and then they buy the cheapest one. Nobody goes, "Huh, I wonder if there are any deep sales on chest pieces today, I don't really need one but if theres a sale, O M G I can't help myself, I have to have that one because its 100 gold less! WOOOOO!"

You can keep cutting the prices deeply, you keep working harder for less and I will just undercut you by one bronze anyways and mine will sell, the only difference is that we both just made 100 gold less.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielm7 View Post
    Obviously I'm doing something wrong here. I have the same professions maxed as the OP. I used to make a ton of gold in wrath with JC and alchemy transmutes. I was unsubbed for a lot of cata and now am playing more regularly. Checking the undermine journal it seems there are some pretty profitable enchanting scrolls, I'll have to track that a bit. But for alchemy and JC it seems most items look like a loss, what am I missing that is bringing in the profits now?
    All servers are different. You might not be doing anything wrong. Competition, famring your own mats and pop all make a big difference to supply and demand. Sell everything people suggest, study your ah and be cheaper than your competitors in all profitable markets. Refine your strategy. That is all you can do.

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 04:43 PM ----------

What is this impulse shopping your speak of? Nobody goes to the auction house and just looks up random stuff like women do in Target. They say, "I need a better chest piece, lets see what there is." and then they buy the cheapest one. Nobody goes, "Huh, I wonder if there are any deep sales on chest pieces today, I don't really need one but if theres a sale, O M G I can't help myself, I have to have that one because its 100 gold less! WOOOOO!"

You can keep cutting the prices deeply, you keep working harder for less and I will just undercut you by one bronze anyways and mine will sell, the only difference is that we both just made 100 gold less.
    Not true. If I am after mats and i see them at a good price I will buy them. If I am after mats, but I see them at 1c less at an expensive price then I will wait.

You make the mistake that everyone has the same motive and priority as you when selling. Some people just wnat to clear inventory so they cna take a big hit on the price. I shift my stuff and you dont shift yours. How far down are you willing to follow someone? You say you will undercut always, but then it just becomes a war of attrition and who has the deepest pockets. In the case of a competitor they may just be happy to destroy your profits. Hard to fight against really.

People do look at the AH to see the price of things, so you are wrong and behind the times. Keep up with the art form.
    Last edited by mmoc0afa280d34; 2012-12-22 at 11:27 AM.

Deleted
    Enchanting
    Alchemy
    None of the above holds a candle to selling TCG pets on a high pop server though. In my city we have a roleplaying store, or nerd paradise. I picked up a few loot card pets totalling about 20$, made just under 100k by selling them caged

Deleted
    For me; Cooking. An easy and not too time consuming 50k pw if I can be bothered.

High pop realm, PVE focussed. 1 stack of 300 int food goes for ~1500 Gold. Wednesday (EU reset) usually sees 20k+ worth of sales, with nothing unsold. The only limit is my supply (within reason)

Silvermoon alliance:

JC is about to die
    Ench's best.

Kazzak horde:

JC + Ench both real good

Deleted
    Alchemy/Enchanting seem to be doing well.

Deleted
    That and there's too many people who don't understand the fine art of undercutting by a single bronze coin, like they are going to scare everyone else out of the market by cutting the profits down when all it does is ensure that they undercut you again and everyone looses profit. People are going to buy the cheapest listed item regardless if its for 100 gold less or 1 bronze less.
    If I see something I want for less than 2% undercut, I will always go for the higher one. I consider undercutting by ridiculous amount pathetic tbh.

I use to make a dump load of money selling PVP cloth but thats not happening anymore, must have something to do with how if you buy new gear to try pvp you get mud stomped by the guys who have farmed up pvp gear. Its at the point that mats are more valuable then what you make with them.

I'm making some scratch here and there because I vary my portfolio but mostly I make money by not spending money on stuff that I can supply myself because I have 4 alts with maxed professions.

people who sell at a large undercut just want to get rid of their stock/items for sale.. usually by making it attractive for you to buy them to resell. they are not interested in re-listing an item hundreds of times a day at a 1 copper difference. not everyone has all day to sit at the AH, or on their mobile watching their auctions. it's people that view the AH as a sport with their "my auctions must always be listed first" mentality that tank the market.

for instance. a meta cut could be going for 600g on my server. the same meta cut that i have 5 of, that haven't sold in over three weeks. i just want to get rid of them because they are making me no gold just sitting there taking up a spot in my bags. so i list them at 300 gold. without fail someone cancels their auctions and relists their cuts at 299g 99s 99c. i just gave them a 50% discount on my wares to make gold on, and they wouldn't take it.. fair enough. i re-list them at 150g. same thing they re-list at 149g 99s 99c. just once (and this was in cata) i wanted to see if these guy's were actually brain dead enough, and i re-listed some bold rubies at 5g each. sure enough my main competitor re-listed his at 4g 99s 99c. i was flabbergasted.

all of this usually only happens during market lulls before a raid content patch. just after a major content patch i can't throw cut's up on the AH fast enough.
    Last edited by slimj091; 2012-12-24 at 02:00 AM.

Deleted
    Inscription (by a mile!)

Transmog gear

Enchanting

Deleted
    Just enchanting.

Late in the evening I start roaming Pandaria and per 2 evening I end up with roughly 5 Sha Crystals and 90 Ethereal Shards. Hardly costs any work and finding one of the bags from the Townlong Steppes rares accelerates my gold income even more.

I do the very thing you are saying doesn't exist. I will get on the AH and go through every armor type to see what is available. Just bought a Poppy staff from inscription for 1200 gold. It was a good staff for starting off but it also works into me making a epic staff later.

I have bought all sorts of stuff off the AH on impulse.

1 alchemy (xmute, daily and for jc)
    2 jc (shuffle)
    3 mining (melting all my ores i xmute. saving 20-30%, this adds up)
    3 enchanting (hierloom enchants)

how do you make much gold with enchanting now? i have one 85 that i have not skilled, i guess it is worth it?