[PSA] Guild Officer got hacked

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but last night one of our officers got hacked. With no GM on we couldn't demote him, so I went to Org and decided to film him stealing our Guild bank gold. I ended up uncovering a well organised and efficient Gold selling group who clearly have done this enough times to know how and what to do. We also see people from our server going to them and buying gold, just a little PSA on it as the Officer who got hacked had an Authenticator linked to his account.

This happens so much within the game that its probably not a shock to anyone out there. Let me know if there is anyone out there who know of others getting hacked while having an Authenticator active.

Zukumani~

Deleted
    Either he is
    A - Telling porkies about having his authenticator
    B - Turned his Authenticator off
    C - Emptied the Gbank himself.

or he was the victim of a "man in the middle" attack. where the hackers grab the authenticator code as he inputs it, sends a fake one to blizzard which denies him access, and then they log on with the authenticator details. (very unlikely due to a number of reasons)
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2012-12-21 at 11:09 PM.

Yep if he had an authenticator either he stole it himself, gave access to someone who could by turning it off and selling his account. Well there's a number of ways this happened but none of them involved his account being compromised.

10+ Year Old Account
    You sure he didn't sell his account & turn the Autenticator off.

you should report this on the WoW Support Forums.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would he bother making a video warning everyone about it if he wasnt 100% sure he wasnt hacked

Yeah guys,

He 100% got his account hacked. He has been within the guild as an officer for the last 4 years, He is an RL friend to a lot of us as well so this isn't staged. He does have an authenticator which is the original one Blizzard released back when they first came out. I have the same model one that he has. This video was just to create awareness and to see if there were any others out there that this has happen to. I have tweeted it to Blizzard and I may take up the suggestions and post it on the WoW support forums as well.

Zukumani~

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't just get "hacked" on wow. You have to do something retarded first for that to happen. You should find another officer tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Grakey View Post
    Why would he bother making a video warning everyone about it if he wasnt 100% sure he wasnt hacked
    The guy making the video didn't get hacked.
    Either no authenticator or he robbed you guys on purpose.

I think you said he made a post on your forums saying he thinks he is getting hacked? How would he know? Was he unable to login to his account?

@Andain, yeah it kept saying that his Password on the account was incorrect. That's when he posted on the Guild website

15+ Year Old Account
    Did he do something like go to a fake Battle.net page and input his secret question answers? That would let somebody take control of his account even with an authenticator attached.

Hm. Sounds a bit fishy... how often do people get hacked through authenticators?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macint View Post
    Hm. Sounds a bit fishy... how often do people get hacked through authenticators?
    Except for super rare man in the middle attacks... almost never. Most people get phished, which bypasses the authenticator entirely.