Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Significant normal mode Elegon nerfs

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...s-december-21/

In the normal mode version of this encounter, Cosmic Sparks will deal less melee damage, Elegon will now use Materialize Protector less often, and the Overloaded effect that Elegon gains when an Empyreal Focus is destroyed now grants significantly less haste.
    Seems like Blizzard decided it was a little too hard after all. Anyone tested how big these changes are?

Didn't notice any big changes this evening, spawn rate of the adds was no different. But I have heard of a lot of people being stuck on Elegon, so maybe the changes are necessary.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-12-22 at 01:19 AM.

Elegon was without a doubt quite challenging the first time you met him. After flying through Spirit Kings Elegon definitely brought you back to the ground.

He is indeed a quite hard normal boss. But in no way impossible. When looking back on MSV i wish that they changed place on Will and Elegon. Making Will boss #5 and Elegon the last one.

Elegon is way more epic then Will ever was or will be.

I'm quite happy with the way Blizzard is doing nerfs this tier. Nerfing specific mechanics is much better than blanket health and damage percentage nerfs.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that's a problem :P besides It's normal mode.

Deleted
    If Elegon was causing problems and Blizzard was identifying what those problems were, then adjusting just those things is the right way to go about changes. Nerfing it completely would have caused outrage. Hope they continue to do this in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Uniqed View Post
    When looking back on MSV i wish that they changed place on Will and Elegon. Making Will boss #5 and Elegon the last one.

Elegon is way more epic then Will ever was or will be.
    Myself and many of my raid mates have thought this as well. I think the fight is difficult for a lot of average raiders in that you really have a large focus on individual responsibility: pillars, stack clearing, etc. You can't hide shortcomings in 10m when you reach this fight and you certainly have a harder time hiding them in 25 man.

As someone else has already said I like the fact that they are nerfing elements that are causing people problems rather than simply blanket nerfing the entire instance. I will be happy as long as they leave heroic modes alone for a few more weeks and give guilds chance to clear them without rolling nerfs out.

Hopefully this is a sign of Blizzard using their internal data with a little more discretion and while trying to give most raiders the opportunity to progress they are still attempting to maintain the difficulty of encounters that they feel are tuned appropriately for the intended difficulty level.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems that a LOT of guilds are stuck on N Elegon, look at the numbers on wowprogress. I know it's not the best indication of how guilds are doing, but there's a significantly big drop when you hit Elegon.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Will of the Emperor is a fight that was designed for heroic mode and when you take away the heroic mechanics it doesn't work well as a normal fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Will of the Emperor is a fight that was designed for heroic mode and when you take away the heroic mechanics it doesn't work well as a normal fight.
    Not exactly sure why you think that is. Heroic actually takes alot away from the fight aswell - due to the gas being present at all times, the "intense AOE phase" in normal mode, suddenly becomes "breathing room where absolutely nothing happens" in heroic. Soaking sparks isn't even a fun mechanic, and that's the only other difference - it just means that you need to get a rogue and a hunter in the raid.

Regardless, the topic is about Elegon -
    I kind of figured that normal mode was too close to heroic - if it was too close due to heroic being too easy, or normal being too hard, I wouldn't have been able to say, though. Guess Blizzard decided normal was too hard. But the boss barely even gains what, 5% hp going from normal to heroic, raid damage far easier to handle as there's no sudden bursts from protectors, and well. That's about it. Obviously, it hits a little harder overall, and everything has more hp, so still "harder", but the difference from normal wasn't really anything to speak of.

Meh, if they did nerf it, it probably wasn't a bad change...I felt it was a greatly tuned fight (in fact it's still probably my favorite in the tier) but in comparison to every other fight in MSV it was quite a bit more demanding. To me, it just felt out of place, it definitely is a bigger wall for more guilds than any other boss, and especially since it wasn't even an endboss (nor a dps check, really, enrage should not be an issue now that everyone has epics). And, since Will of the Adds and the first two in HoF are arguably easier a nerf to normal doesn't bother me at all
    Last edited by PBitt; 2012-12-22 at 06:06 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised they waited this long. Doing this fight on heroic is quite a laugh - basically the only thing that changes is faster Protector spawn and, well, that's it. When properly handled, there's less raid damage from their explosions, Sparks barely change at all, neither do Pillars and Energy Charges only have a bit more hitpoints.

Meanwhile, normal is a serious dps, hps *and* tanking check, a huge step up after everything that comes earlier. The berserk timer is a very real threat, all adds do a lot of damage, there is a lot of healing to be done and you can't really afford a third healer. Sure it's all very dependant on gear, but, well, how do you actually get that gear if you can't go past him and LFRng doesn't shower you with epics?

I welcome this change for my alts, it was very much needed to have a more streamlined difficulty progression in the Vaults. Honestly, they could also remove ToES attunement, while they're at it - the instance is a total joke compared to HoF and might help out some people "stuck" on whatever boss they are.

Elegon is mostly a competency check. Can your people handle spreading out and attacking sparks efficiently? All this means is they will just roadblock at Tayak (maybe) or Garalon (most likely) now.

elegon was a hard fight on normal, but at the same time that's what made the fight. the fight drops a mount, it should have been an end boss but there was no need for a nerf in my opinion. I mean hell, should nerf stone guards seeing as it has a smaller kill/wipe precentage than will.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    how much of a nerf actually is this though? from what i remember, the hardest part by far was killing enough waves of sparks and that hasnt been touched. i think even a 5% hp nerf to the sparks would be 'significant' with regards to guilds that are roadblocked on elegon

He was merely a gear check, the actual mechanics were very simple. That said, his gear check was needlessly high in normal.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Viggers View Post
    how much of a nerf actually is this though? from what i remember, the hardest part by far was killing enough waves of sparks and that hasnt been touched. i think even a 5% hp nerf to the sparks would be 'significant' with regards to guilds that are roadblocked on elegon
    Less time killing protectors means more time on the boss. Same with killing the other adds. If it turns out to be one less protector per phase the fight becomes massively easier even if you kill the same number of waves.

It's a good change imo. It'll be nice for people cockblocked on this fight to put MV to bed.

I think its welcome for the guilds who are stuck on it. Once we killed it 6-7 weeks ago, we hardly wiped on it. But I agree it is a big step from spirit kings to Elegon, especially when Will of the Emporer is such as step back. We only wiped once on that boss, and that was our very first attempt, where we called out a wipe because of silly mistakes.

And to be honost, I feel a little the same about Garalon. Again a massive DPS check (unless you have 2 very powerfull healers). Boss after that, we hardly wiped on it.

Now, dont get me wrong, I loved the challenge in Normal mode, but without a decent amount of LFR gear to replace your blues, some encounters are a bit to much for your average guild of brawlers. Perhaps it seperates the men from the boys.

Deleted
    This boss did deserve it I feel. A lot of guilds were stuck on him. It's a nice targeted nerf. They adressed the parts giving people issues, and did not just mindlessly nerf his hp and dmg.