Broken Power button on new build?

Hey, I'm building my second PC, and have everything hooked up. I've double checked and rechecked the front panel connections to the mobo and am sure they are connected right. When I turn the power on on the power supply the green light on the mobo light's up and everything seems fine. Whenever I use the power button though on the case nothing turns on. I've even tried taking off the front panel and pushing the button mechanism manually to no avail. I've also made sure the pins on the mobo itself are fine. Is the power button the issue here? Unfortunately the mobo itself has no way to turn it on from there . Should of thought of that ahead of time. Just looking for some opinions before I take it all apart and send it back.

Case: HAF 912
    Mobo: ASUS P8 Z77-V LK
    Power Supply: Cosair TX650
    CPU: I5-3750K

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 02:41 AM ----------

I've also read that it could be a bad power supply so now I am not quite sure which one to return.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-12-22 at 09:37 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

have you tried the screw driver trick yet?
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Take a screw driver and bridge the two power pins on the F-panel connections.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

If you are completely sure you plugged the front panel button in correctly and it doesn't work, you can check whether it's the motherboard by hotwiring it.

3.28 into this for exampl

Yes I tried the screwdriver trick about 30 min ago to no avail after searching goggle for awhile I came across it. Meaning it's either the mobo or power supply I guess. I'll take a look at this video now. Was hoping to have this ready for my bro for Christmas but its not looking good sadly .

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 04:28 AM ----------

Ah, the video showed the same trick. Yah I tried twice now and it doesn't work. So definately either the mobo or power supply. I know a few guys down at my local computer store though so I'll bring it down there tommorrow morning and get them to test the Power Supply. If that checks out then I'll know it's the mobo at least.

Thanks for your help all, that is a nifty little trick for those without a power button on the mobo. Kind of happy it's not the case itself though as that's the most pain in the ass thing to get all set up again to ship back.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-12-22 at 09:36 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

You sure you plugged in all wires, including both extra 4-pin power cables for the CPU? Those are easy to forget, and will prevent the computer from booting up.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    You sure you plugged in all wires, including both extra 4-pin power cables for the CPU? Those are easy to forget, and will prevent the computer from booting up.
    Yah I'm sure, at this point I've checked all wiring at least 3 times. I got the two main plug ins going into the mobo(the one for the CPU and the 24 pin one). The other cords I have left on my power supply not in use are the two for extra hard drives and stuff and the two PCI-E ones for my video card that I have not even bothered to put in yet. Thanks though.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-12-22 at 10:04 AM.

Did you make sure to use the motherboard standoffs?

Unplug the PSU from motherboard (both 24 and 4 pin cables) and try to start it with a paperclip. Leave something plugged into PSU while testing that, for example DVD drive or some case fan.

Put a paperclip or any piece of wire between green and any black as shown on the picture. If the PSU starts normally and the fans/DVD drive/whatever seems to work normally (and you can open/close the DVD drive tray) then the PSU is 99% certainly fine and problem is the motherboard.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Did you make sure to use the motherboard standoffs?
    Yup have all the proper standoff screws in place.

Unplug the PSU from motherboard (both 24 and 4 pin cables) and try to start it with a paperclip. Leave something plugged into PSU while testing that, for example DVD drive or some case fan.

Put a paperclip or any piece of wire between green and any black as shown on the picture. If the PSU starts normally and the fans/DVD drive/whatever seems to work normally (and you can open/close the DVD drive tray) then the PSU is 99% certainly fine and problem is the motherboard.
    Awesome tip, thank you. I tried it and my CD drive and power supply fan came to life so now I know it is for sure the motherboard.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-12-22 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    Awesome tip, thank you. I tried it and my CD drive and fans came to life so now I know it is for sure the motherboard.
    You tried to boot without RAM plugged in, or just one RAM stick to rule those out as defective part? If you try booting without RAM it should stay on, but give some beep codes.
    Trolling should be.

Just hi-jacking this thread a little as I have similar problem with my power button, hope you don't mind.

The power button on my case only works if I've had the power switch at the back OFF for at least 20seconds, and then turn it back on. I googled it and the only result I saw was saying the mobo was broke, but it happened before I upgraded that too (Got it from a friend). I'm pretty crap with computers, so any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Just hi-jacking this thread a little as I have similar problem with my power button, hope you don't mind.

The power button on my case only works if I've had the power switch at the back OFF for at least 20seconds, and then turn it back on. I googled it and the only result I saw was saying the mobo was broke, but it happened before I upgraded that too (Got it from a friend). I'm pretty crap with computers, so any help would be great.
    It could be motherboard, yes. Try reseting & updating BIOS.

But probably it's PSU broken or overloaded. Either one of those would cause the problem where you have to completely unplug/reset PSU before it wakes up again, and either one would be potential fire hazard or can destroy whole computer if you're very unlucky when the PSU finally stops playing around and just dies.
    Trolling should be.

It could be motherboard, yes. Try reseting & updating BIOS.

But probably it's PSU broken or overloaded. Either one of those would cause the problem where you have to completely unplug/reset PSU before it wakes up again, and either one would be potential fire hazard or can destroy whole computer if you're very unlucky when the PSU finally stops playing around and just dies.
    That doesn't sound good, but better than it being the Motherboard I guess - and probably more likely too since it was happening before I got a new one.

Thanks for the help, I'll get my brother to check it out!

You tried to boot without RAM plugged in, or just one RAM stick to rule those out as defective part? If you try booting without RAM it should stay on, but give some beep codes.
    Yah I've tried not even using the RAM, no beeping at all. The thing won't even turn on even when I try that screwdriver trick. I can't even get it to begin to post. Like it's just stuck in that stand-by mode with that green LED light on. That's why originally I thought it was a power button issue.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-12-22 at 07:42 PM.

Deleted
    Check connections, sometimes they can be tight to get in all the way.