Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Paladin tanks still going be competive in 5.2?

Once again it seem those of us who run paladin tanks aren't getting any love. I know that now the tanks are mostly on par with each other, but is this going to change come 5.2? I've got a lot of time invested into my paladin (Sitting at 492 Tank spec) with 80+ days plays in just over a year. I also have a tank of each class that's at least 85, my DK is sitting at 480ilvl. I just don't want to have to drop my paladin and be in a crunch to gear something else to be viable, would rather know ahead of time.

What do you mean, we aren't getting any love?

Consecration damage up by nearly 900%, Eternal flame is getting a significant buff, Hand of Purity is being buffed to also reduce all damage taken by 10%,

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, in raids we're pretty awesome. We don't need the love. Our challenge mode potential has dropped a lot with the SoI fix but that was meant to happen. As for the 5.2 patch notes (which I'd like to remind you and everyone else, are really early and WILL change!) we're getting a damage buff and something to make Eternal Flame more attractive by making it more powerful rather than equal to WoG. Also, we get another CD in the shape of Hand of Purity if we desire. That seems like a buff rather than a nerf. Also makes it so that Sacred Shield isn't the MUST have talent. Warriors are in the same boat, and DK's are getting a bit of a healing buff (?!) which confuses me but oh well. I don't know about bears and monks enough to comment.

Therefore from an initial early first glance not a lot is changing but DK's pulling ahead for single target fights but leaving everything else in place - apart from us being buffed, warriors being buffed and DK's being buffed (Although that last one probably doesn't need to happen - it might for raids but not CM's)
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Ehr, the consecration is not really a huge buff. It is probably even a nerf at higher AP, do not have the scalings from cons next to me, but the base damage is not so high. So less scaling with SP and more base damage is probably a nerf on bigger pulls.

The things I would like to see change is that the GCD on all spells should scale with haste, those 1.5 GCDs are so silly on class based on GCDs.

A dream would also be for consecration to scale with haste so that haste also lowers duration and tick speed aswell as cooldown. Just lowering cooldown is kinda pointless. But this is probably not going to happen. Would be to good.

You worry too much. If you're a great tank, you won't be hurting your raid no matter what class you play, and your raid will not sit you for being a Paladin tank.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

people need to chill the fuck out. if you would ever be so undertuned as you actually think ( wich we'll prob never be again) then blizzard will fix it. jeez its not the end of the world. and this is just PTR notes. nothing is set in stone
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Deleted
    I really do not see the problem though, not like we are getting any major changes? Just some minor changes, not really so much for better or worse. Paladin tanks are still in a great position.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Warriors are in the same boat, and DK's are getting a bit of a healing buff (?!) which confuses me but oh well. I don't know about bears and monks enough to comment.
    Don't worry about DK's. They don't use death siphon when tanking (or even dpsing in PvE, for that matter), because it costs the same ressources as death strike. It's mostly a buff for pvp.

Ehr, the consecration is not really a huge buff. It is probably even a nerf at higher AP, do not have the scalings from cons next to me, but the base damage is not so high. So less scaling with SP and more base damage is probably a nerf on bigger pulls.
    It's a buff at the moment of the pull though. It will hit harder, and you won't need any vengeance to be competitive against anyone. (Which you kinda need right now)

It's also very good on magic fights, like Lei Shi.

i find my pally to be lacking in the threat generation area. survivability is great, cooldowns are great, but my threat gen is terrible compaired to other tanking classes, especially dk's and monks.

Is the general opinion that Paladins are currently weak or something? I feel like Paladins are probably the strongest tank overall right now. Yeah the other tanks are getting some minor buffs, but its because of how strong we currently are.

We're strong now and we'll continue to be strong in 5.2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no, we lost an ability that let us heal for 150khps on Wind lord. Now we only heal for about 40khps.

The 789% (such a spastic number) buff to consecration makes up for it entirely in my opinion, AoE threat was my biggest gripe with my prot pally.

Also, SoI is apparently being buffed by 33% to make up for the nerf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

The 789% (such a spastic number) buff to consecration makes up for it entirely in my opinion,
    789% buff to the BASE damage, that does not scale. They nerfed the AP coefficient. Now, it is unclear if the change (11%) is 11% of the original value (so 81% down to 73%) or 11% absolute (81 down to 70%), ultimately that isn't going to make much of a difference. But it DOES mean that during the boss fight, when our attack power is over 100k, consecration will be doing LESS damage than it currently does should this change make it to live. Not much less, at that attack power lt is less than 1000 damage and it is a buff at lower AP levels (without any vengeance it is about a 5k dps increase at ~25000 AP)
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-12-23 at 02:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    789% buff to the BASE damage, that does not scale. They nerfed the AP coefficient. Now, it is unclear if the change (11%) is 11% of the original value (so 81% down to 73%) or 11% absolute (81 down to 70%), ultimately that isn't going to make much of a difference. But it DOES mean that during the boss fight, when our attack power is over 100k, consecration will be doing LESS damage than it currently does should this change make it to live.
    I'm willing to accept a minor nerf to Consecrations overall damage if it results in a little bit more initial AoE threat on trash. Seriously, aggro management on small packs of mobs has to be my only major gripe with prot atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    I'm willing to accept a minor nerf to Consecrations overall damage if it results in a little bit more initial AoE threat on trash. Seriously, aggro management on small packs of mobs has to be my only major gripe with prot atm.
    Yeah, it is a decent buff at low AP levels.

Live: 928+(28000*0.81) = 23607 (= 2623 per tick)
    PTR: 8226+(28000*0.73) = 28666 (= 3185 per tick)
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-12-23 at 02:36 AM.

Deleted
    One must have a pretty paranoidal mindset if they suspect paladin tanks are becoming weaker just because we get hardly any patch notes. I am pretty sure we have no weaknesses this expansion, with the possible exception of some weird minmaxing in challenge modes.

And it is only a halfway significant sustained dps nerf at extremely high AP levels (>150k AP). It isn't even a 1k dps difference at 100k.

Deleted
    to be honest we are currently a little overpowered in raid environments (talking from 10m hc point of view)

currently by gemming haste and reaching hit and exp hard cap im averaging around 70k dps on a non gimic single target fight and doing about 30k hps (im in 505 gear so far). add that into the fact my stor buff has about a 55-70% (depending on healers and movement) and the amount of self and raid cooldowns we have....to be honest im expecting some sort of nerf to come along. so currently we are very strong tanks...im not sure if this is the right way 2 go about it...but its nothing major, just a slight change to playstyle and you wont notice the difference.

and those who are saying you have threat problems, you must be doing something wrong as currently im having to watch aggro as i can over-aggro the other tank while hes being mis-directed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akrusLJ View Post
    and those who are saying you have threat problems, you must be doing something wrong as currently im having to watch aggro as i can over-aggro the other tank while hes being mis-directed.
    Having seen it myself, at low gear levels to slightly better geared but not too far ahead dps, it can be an issue if they're beating on the wrong mob. Reason being that due to our stat priority we pile so much into hit and expertise we have barely any other stats, and hit and expertise is largely being "wasted" in heroic dungeons due to the caps being so much lower, so as far as those are concerned it's dead weight that we're adding so you may be getting more geared, as are the dps, but the stats helping your threat aren't going up as much.

Once you get some haste however the situation is a joke and life is brilliant I have barely any but I can see a difference
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    yeh in 5mans i can understand but its very hard to try and balance anything around that sort of gear level.

once u gain some haste and a few epics you will end up with consecration down 100% of the time...along with other factors...,,threat in aoe no longer becomes an issue

I smell a troll thread

Infracted. Please do not call others troll. ~Fhi
    Last edited by Fhi; 2012-12-26 at 03:45 PM.