Poll: Is it fair to fire a worker for being too hot?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

Bosses Can Fire Hot Workers For Being 'Irresistible': All-Male Court

The court ruled 7-0 that bosses can fire employees they see as an "irresistible attraction," even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong. Such firings may be unfair, but they are not unlawful discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act because they are motivated by feelings and emotions, not gender, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote.

Nelson, 32, worked for Knight for 10 years, and he considered her a stellar worker. But in the final months of her employment, he complained that her tight clothing was distracting, once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing, according to the opinion.

He also once allegedly remarked about her infrequent sex life by saying, "that's like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it."

Knight and Nelson – both married with children – started exchanging text messages, mostly about personal matters, such as their families. Knight's wife, who also worked in the dental office, found out about the messages and demanded Nelson be fired. The Knights consulted with their pastor, who agreed that terminating Nelson was appropriate.

Knight fired Nelson and gave her one month's severance. He later told Nelson's husband that he worried he was getting too personally attached and feared he would eventually try to start an affair with her.

Nelson was stunned because she viewed the 53-year-old Knight as a father figure and had never been interested in starting a relationship, Fiedler said.

Nelson filed a lawsuit alleging gender discrimination, arguing she would not have been terminated if she was male. She did not allege sexual harassment because Knight's conduct may not have risen to that level and didn't particularly offend her, Fiedler said.

Please read the full article below. It's too long to list everything here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...ef=mostpopular

Biased poll options are biased. That said, sounds like the dude was sexually harassing her and she was oblivious as hell/played along, his wife found out and he fired her to cover himself.

As for firing, shouldn't be allowed. Letting go, also shouldn't. At first I was like "yeah, ok" but then I realized it's not really any different than judging somebody by their skin color. Letting somebody go because you feel you're too personally involved is different than letting somebody go because you feel they are too attractive. Also, it would be abused to all hell by people who would harass their employees in the same way this guy did.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-12-23 at 01:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i can't believe im actually reading this.

Deleted
    Damn. Seriously

D A M N

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Biased poll options are biased. That said, sounds like the dude was sexually harassing her and she was oblivious as hell/played along, his wife found out and he fired her to cover himself.
    I added the Yes and No quite clearly in the polls. I added one line to it. Either for or against it. I'm neutral so there's no way I can actually be biased. I sincerely am curious what other people think. I ask people please read the article in detail before deciding both party's engaged in a consensual flirting but nothing actually happened.

As far as I know this is one of the first cases of its kind and raises important questions.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    I added the Yes and No quite clearly in the polls. I added one line to it.
    You made it so that anyone voting yes is insane - that is biased.

I added the Yes and No quite clearly in the polls. I added one line to it. Either for or against it. I'm neutral so there's no way I can actually be biased. I sincerely am curious what other people think. I ask people please read the article in detail before deciding both party's engaged in a consensual flirting but nothing actually happened.

As far as I know this is one of the first cases of its kind and raises important questions.
    "Yes it's a distraction" is a bit biased, but not really much as the story has being a distraction as a key focus. "No are you insane...?" is extremely biased. Also, you don't need to be biased to have a biased poll option.

The Knights consulted with their pastor, who agreed that terminating Nelson was appropriate.
    Sheesh. Any pastor worth his salt should have told Knight to get his sexual lust under control, and to resist temptation.

He might as well have advised to ban attractive women from coming in for dental work. Again, sheesh I say.

Deleted
    once telling her that if his pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing
    Haha, he's awesome.

Not sure why that's a reason to FIRE her though. Sounds like a reason to keep her around...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hehe... Wow, I'm not really sure what to say except that is one dumb wife.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Sheesh. Any pastor worth his salt should have told Knight to get his sexual lust under control, and to resist temptation.

He might as well have advised to ban attractive women from coming in for dental work. Again, sheesh I say.
    and he resisted the temptation, by removing it from view, clearly.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    "Yes it's a distraction" is a bit biased, but not really much as the story has being a distraction as a key focus. "No are you insane...?" is extremely biased. Also, you don't need to be biased to have a biased poll option.
    Come now. Let's not bicker over small words. Are you insane is a sarcastic sense like asking are you for real. I think most people when figuring out you can fire a worker for being too hot and not have anything done to you would be interesting. It's like asking if someone is serious. With no question mark at the end. Instead of bickering over biased polls just focus on the yes or no part.

Hints for OP and making polls:

How to Make a Good Poll

15+ Year Old Account
    Your erection is your own damn business. Either you have self-control, or you blame all your mistakes on cleavages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    You made it so that anyone voting yes is insane - that is biased.
    except this sets a disturbing precedence. should a female employer now be allowed to fire a male employee simply because he's too attractive and could be a distraction?

I'm also wondering what a man who thinks attractive women should be having more sex, should be fornicating more often, not less ("That's like having a Lamborghini and not driving it") is doing talking to a pastor. What church does this guy go to?

Come now. Let's not bicker over small words. Are you insane is a sarcastic sense like asking are you for real. I think most people when figuring out you can fire a worker for being too hot and not have anything done to you would be interesting. It's like asking if someone is serious. With no question mark at the end. Instead of bickering over biased polls just focus on the yes or no part.
    Don't make biased poll options if you don't want people commenting on them being biased.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like girls as much as the next person but....DA HELL?????

If you fire someone cause they distract others then the employer is.......well..... there is only one way to describe it.

HERPA DERP

Oh and the polls are a bit..biased but I still think this is insane.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Pretty much any lawyer who isn't a complete idiot will tell you that this is a pretty easy case. Fairness =/= legality. Is it fair to only hire female employees that are good looking, which a lot of businesses do? Probably not, but that's still just as allowed as this case.

Of course, the state legislature could attempt to pass a law to make firing for this reason illegal.
    Last edited by DetectiveJohnKimble; 2012-12-23 at 01:22 AM.

what the actual fuck